No port locations until 30 days before

algaes

Hopefully, Viking Oceans will exceed that commitment mentioned in new FAQs.

We plan to go a few days early and then make our way to the ship. Can you please provide the docking location?

Roughly 30 days before sailing, your documents will be shipped to you with this information.

From my experience, port assignments (which are made by the port and not up to the cruise lines) are seldom available to the cruise line or passengers until a month or so pre-cruise. Also, they are subject to change, and often do. We once were told a docking location which changed by the time we got over to Europe. Now I check dock location at the last minute because I don't want a cab driver driving all around the port.

I also look for port web sites to see if any location information (berth, etc.) is available. Unfortunately, most of the port web sites I've checked so far for my cruise (not the maiden voyage) do not contain any information, as the cruising season hasn't started yet in Europe. (Well, some ships ARE going to Europe, but it appears to be mostly just a few Costa and Norwegian ships in February, mostly in Greece.)

Where do you embark, and what day, if you don't mind me asking? Are you on the mid-April maiden voyage, I assume? Maybe I can snoop around and see what I find. There are also some great port guide sites available (for example, tomsportguides.com) which show where common docking locations are and provide great info on how to get to the port. That might at least give you an idea of how you can get to the dock from a hotel or airport.

Berth positions do change at the last minute. In St Petersburg, we left our ship in the morning for a day of sightseeing only to return that afternoon, and our ship had moved. We had to hunt all over the port before we finally found it. Talk about a scary moment!

Berth positions do change at the last minute. In St Petersburg, we left our ship in the morning for a day of sightseeing only to return that afternoon, and our ship had moved. We had to hunt all over the port before we finally found it. Talk about a scary moment!

Wow, that WOULD be scary. I would not like to be lost in St. Petersburg! My husband ran into someone on a tour who got separated from her tour group at the Hermitage. She was wandering around the parking lot (unfortunately not one she was dropped off in - vans have to move to a different one) in full panic mode. I don't blame her!

Edited by roothy123