Mother injured and cruising in 2 weeks...

Nancy_Hawks

I need some help/suggestions and I thought you all might have some suggestions. My mother broke her toe over the weekend. The doctor told her to stay off of it for 3 weeks, but our cruise is in less than 2 weeks. She wanted me to see about getting wheelchairs for her at the airports. Does anybody know how to arrange that? We are leaving from Santa Ana airport in California and flying to Houston with a layover in DFW. I am thinking it might be better for her to rent one for the entire trip, so she knows that she can use it at anytime.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just call the airlines to arrange for airport wheelchairs.

Of greater importance, you might want to consider what she is going to do on the ship. I would suggest renting a wc and having it delivered to your cabin. After all, if shge can't make it through the ariport, there is no way she is going to make it around a cruise ship for a week. Cruise line wcs are for boarding and disembarking only. You don't want he to be stuck in her cabin for the whole cruise.

I suggest care vacations (for wc rental).

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

On a personal note, it's truly amazing how breaking such a tiny bone (in your toe) can destroy all of your balance and ability to walk! Been there!!

Candy

I also suggest that you contact your TA and request a shower chair for your Mother for the stateroom. There is no charge for this.

In Houston, there is an electronic cart which can be used instead of the wheelchair, but you will still need the wheelchair to board the airplane. Even if this is in your reservation, you'll probably still need to ask when you get to the airport.

Also, when you get to the cruise terminal, ask one of the porters for a wheelchair and they will help you to get one or will tell you who to ask. It is a long way through the cruise line terminal to get on the ship and you will need a wheelchair for this too.

I think Candy's suggestion of a wheelchair to be delivered to your stateroom is a great idea. You can rent one at home and take it with you on your trip, but if it gets damaged, the rental company will hold you responsible. It could get damaged in the airline baggage hold, where the wheelchair is usually placed for the trip.

I knew I could count on my friends at cruisecritic for the right answers. I got some great suggestions. I had no idea that there is a whole industry for rentals on cruiseships. WOW! I'm quite impressed.

I'm hoping her little toe will be feeling a lot better in 12 days, but I"m gonna go ahead with calling the airline and arrange for a wheelchair to help us out. If her toe doesn't improve, I might borrow a wheelchair from my disabled aunt and bring it with us for the whole trip. But I'm really hoping she'll be able to get around much better by then.

Nancy,

I broke my toe while on vacation in Cancun a few years ago....it took a very long time to heal and it still isn't 100%. Don't know how old your Mom is or which toe she broke but don't count on it being OK in 12 days unless it was a very minor fracture. Agree with the suggestions re: renting WC and asking for shower chair. If you don't need them, it'll still be worth the piece of mind to have them available. Good luck.

Here is a suggestion from a Hawk to a Hawks call the airline and request bulk head seating. This is the first row in coach so she won't have to worry about bumping her foot getting in and out of the regular seats.

Archived