Viking Sea - same problems?

dancermom09

We are booked on the Venice to Barcelona 12 day cruise on the Viking Star in April 2016. I believe this is the second leg for this ship, so not quite the Inaugural cruise but very close. I am asking a "What would you do?" question.

This is our first visit to Europe. I picked Viking Oceans because I was so impressed with their ships, itineraries and all inclusiveness. Before that, we were considering Oceania and Azamara. Since I have recently been diagnosed with my second occurrence of breast cancer, this may well be our only trip to Europe. In fact, I have been watching the next leg of this cruise (Barcelona to Bergen) for openings.

We will be doing the "basic" excursions in many ports, since we have never been. If we continue to hear bad things about Viking included excursions, we will certainly consider private tours. Not interested in tours that include 40 minute potty stops.

I have a gluten allergy, and am pretty worried about reports on the handling of food allergies. Not celiac, but it would definitely put a damper on my trip.

Do you think Viking will be able to fix their problems by April 2016, and will this extend to the next new ship? Or should we consider cancelling and booking with another line, if so which one? I'd like the costs to be in the same ballpark.

I think our cancellation fees would be $100 each at this point. Not so bad. WWYD?

We are booked on the Venice to Barcelona 12 day cruise on the Viking Star in April 2016. I believe this is the second leg for this ship, so not quite the Inaugural cruise but very close. I am asking a "What would you do?" question.

This is our first visit to Europe. I picked Viking Oceans because I was so impressed with their ships, itineraries and all inclusiveness. Before that, we were considering Oceania and Azamara. Since I have recently been diagnosed with my second occurrence of breast cancer, this may well be our only trip to Europe. In fact, I have been watching the next leg of this cruise (Barcelona to Bergen) for openings.

We will be doing the "basic" excursions in many ports, since we have never been. If we continue to hear bad things about Viking included excursions, we will certainly consider private tours. Not interested in tours that include 40 minute potty stops.

I have a gluten allergy, and am pretty worried about reports on the handling of food allergies. Not celiac, but it would definitely put a damper on my trip.

Do you think Viking will be able to fix their problems by April 2016, and will this extend to the next new ship? Or should we consider cancelling and booking with another line, if so which one? I'd like the costs to be in the same ballpark.

I think our cancellation fees would be $100 each at this point. Not so bad. WWYD?

I would seriously consider Azamara or Oceania. Oceania excursions are pricey but there is a very active roll call and people book private tours and share. Oceania has two larger ships of 1250 and 3 (soon to be 4) smaller ships of 684 passenger. Azamara has two smaller ships that are identical to Oceania. The smaller ships are older but I will take good service over a new ship anytime.The two larger Oceania ships are new. I believe Viking problems are with the management and inherent in their attitude and corporate culture and is not about to change anytime soon so why chance it.

Edited by TERRIER1

Being a stage 3 breast cancer survivor myself, I would say book with another line. You do not need the stress. While I would not give this advice to everyone, and I'm still very glad we did this inaugural cruise, there has been a lot of frustration and unnecessary friction and unpleasant events. There have been outstanding moments as well that I will always remember, but those have been on the upside of a maiden voyage, which you will not have. If I had just been given your news, and knowing what we've been through on the downside, I'd sail on another line. I have no personal experience on the lines mentioned here - only Princess to the Caribbean (which is no comparison) so will leave that to others to advise. But I don't see things significantly improving between now and next April. Maybe by April 2017 - maybe. And yes, one can always make lemonade out of lemons and if you work at it you can still have a fabulous time, but you need to concentrate all your energy and lemonade making abilities on getting well and beating this awful disease back once again. God bless and keep you strong. My prayers are with you, hoping you thoroughly enjoy whatever you decide to do.