Viking Star Venice Disembarkation

NancyiNJ

To all who have been on the Star and disembarked in Venice, how did you get to the airport for your flight home? We have a 10:55 AM flight from Marco Polo Airport. Our flight was not booked by Viking. Do they run or offer a shuttle? Are there taxis available at the port? Boarding tomorrow in Barcelona and this is on my mind. Thanks for any info.

Haven't been to Venice, but just in case nobody else answers you, here's what Tom's Port Guide for Venice says, and I assume the reverse is true for getting from the port to the airport:

"The easiest, most direct method to travel with heavy suitcases from the mainland such as the airport or the nearby town of Mestre is to hire a taxicab. In 2010, cabs from the airport or Mestre cost around 35 Euros and take 20 minutes. Check the price before you get into the cab. I've been fortunate to have honest cab drivers; some visitors complain of being gouged. There are websites to prearrange cab transit such as http://www.lowcostaxi.net/ This site shows 45 Euros for a taxi with up to 3 passengers & luggage from Marco Polo Airport to the ships. Cabs drop your luggage off near the passenger terminal

and you walk a short distance to the check in for your cruise. You do not have to handle your luggage, it appears in your cabin usually within an hour or two.

Cruise ships offer bus transfers to/from the airport. This is convenient, but it usually costs $ 68 (48 Euro) per person which is more than twice what you would pay to hire a cab for two people."

I've read that Venice airport is small but busy, and that it's wise to get there 2 1/2 to 3 hours pre-flight. The airport bus takes about a half hour, so I'm guessing a cab would take about the same amount of time. However, I really don't know. You could always pose your question in the "Ports of Call" section of Cruise Critic, as there are plenty of people who share (or ask for ) information. However, I doubt that getting a cab from the port would be a problem as long as you allow plenty of time. Sorry, but I don't know if Viking offers transfers.

Edited by roothy123

You can "buy" a transfer from Viking and get on the same bus as the Viking Air passengers. You may (or may not) have to leave earlier than you like. Viking does not offer free shuttle busses to the airport. Or you can take a cab. They come in as far as the port. We did not get off in Venice, but we had friends who did and they took a cab.