Amsterdam buses

raindropsalways

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, if you are interested in going to Keukenhof and use a mobility scooter, there is not any public transportation available. I just received a response from the Gardens that the bus company (Connexxion), which provides transportation from downtown Amsterdam to Schiphol with a transfer to the bus from Schiphol to Keukenhof Gardens no longer allows mobility scooters on their buses. To my knowledge, these are not the standard city buses. I got the impression their buses go to the out-skirts of town and beyond. The route numbers for those particular buses appear to be in 100 series, nothing below 100 and nothing above 200. Taking the train to Schiphol would not help because you would have to transfer to the bus to the gardens. There are some private tours, but I do not know if they are accessible or not. The gardens close in mid May, so that may not be an issue for many.

If you have any questions regarding the regular buses, tram or metro, write to this company: http://en.gvb.nl/ (email: customerservice@gvb.nl). They responded to me in Dutch and I used Google translate.

Amsterdam is compact enough that one can see almost everything on their own. Before my limitations, I have walked it a couple times. Since then I've made a couple trips on the scooter. Just avoid the bicycle lane, we go too slow and they do not appreciate us. I was properly scolded.

There is a working windmill southwest of town. Ruth and I took Tram 2 to the end of the line (Oudenaardeplantsoen) and scooted to Molen van Sloten Windmill. It is about ¾ mile from the tram to the windmill. The De Otter mill in in town. My son and I walked to it. However, with so many high rise buildings around it, it does not operate very much.

On one trip we were able to take a canal tour. I think it was Holland International Canal Cruises. Just west of the entrance to the Central Train Station, right in front of the station. They took us down on an out-door lift and assisted Ruth in the boat. I secured our scooters to a post with a bicycle lock.

Your screen name looked familiar... I am rascal rider's traveling companion. She and I have made a couple trips to Amsterdam and we will be in Amsterdam for a day in May. I'm meeting Ruth someplace in FLL on the 14th (week from now) for a b-2-b cruise. Is there anything in Amsterdam you are interested in. The Anne Frank house now is partially accessible, so Ruth may visit it. We will also make a stop at the Pancake Bakery. My email address is: bettysworldnow@yahoo.com.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

I also use a travel scoot scooter to get around, can either of you give me info on the best way to get from the cruise terminal to a hotel in downtown Amsterdam. My wife also wants to see the tulips, any idea on how best too do that also. We will be staying @ the Crown Plaza.

Thaks

And..... I'd be grateful for the same advice for a wheelchair user who is able to hop out of the chair and use crutches for a short distance. Too much stuff with the chair and bags to go in a conventional taxi the short (?) distance into town and I like to get stuff like that all sorted out in advance, not be panicking on the day as we come down the ramp from the ship.

• 1 month later...

Chunky,

To my knowledge, the standard buses and trams in Amsterdam still allow mobility scooters on them. Regardless, they all allow wheelchairs. If you want to take the train, that can be a different story. Coming from the airport into Amsterdam Central, they will allow you to board the train without advanced reservation. However, taking the train from Amsterdam Central they may still require 24 hours advanced notice. If you were coming from a ship, they would probably be more liberal. That was a number of years ago.

Amsterdam is very easy to get around even for those of us requiring mobility devices. Just stay out of the bicycle lanes... we travel too slow.

B7440

If you are coming from the train station, you should be able to walk. It is only 350 m.

Raindropsalways

We will be coming from the cruise terminal, what is the best way to get to the Crown Plaza? We will have 2 suitcases, 2 back packs ,my walker, scooter etc. we don't travel light anymore

Assuming that you dock at the “Passenger Terminal Amsterdam”, that is a bit further than the train station. Plus, you have a few extra things to tote. Thus a hike could be a bit of a challenger, it is approximately one mile.

I put together a little map. Amsterdam Centraal is the train station. I do not know exactly where passengers come out of the cruise terminal. I marked the two possible stops to board the tram. Tram 26 is wheelchair accessible. You get off in front of the train station.

I travel with a carry-on suitcase which has the four wheels, a large shoulder bag, a POC and a portable cooler. I attach the suitcase to my scooter with two bungee cords (toward the bottom and middle), tight and secure. Thus it rolls on the four wheels and stays right with the scooter. The shoulder bag sits on the floorboard of my scooter, squeeze the cooler in back almost under the seat and I pull the POC with my one hand. It can be a tight fit on public transportation, but we have always managed. Ruth does not tote anything, but she also packs her scooter to the brim. We travel alone, thus everything has to fit. Going through security at the airports does have its challenges.

Enjoy your trip.

Betty

Amsterdam%20Central_zpsmw8hlt67.jpg