Interview with Viking Star Crew (+ New Captain)

pukekolive

Hey Chris,

After reading your piece about the Captains on the Star changing, I felt needed to respond. All of the personnel aboard any ship at sea have a work/vacation schedule to juggle. Those schedules range from a max of one year on duty before vacation time to as little as a month or two before seeking vacation time off. The variance in the timing is often directly proportional to the seniority aboard the ship. In the case of the Star, it appears the delivery Captain remained aboard for almost the entire first year. This is an exceptionally long span of duty for any person who is 'on duty' and ultimately responsible 24/7/365 for everything on his ship. Good luck on your trip. We board as you depart in late March, in Istanbul?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

I cam across this Q&A with several members of the Viking Star Crew - I did not realise that the original Captain had left the ship - presumably he is involved with the new ships now such as Viking Sea?

https://cruiseable.com/a-behind-the-scenes-talk-with-the-viking-stars-captain

Captain Gulleik Svalastog, left the Viking Star halfway through our cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona in Venice last October. We were told that he was moving on to be the first captain of the Viking Sea. As such he is responsible for overseeing her fitting out, crew training/integration and sea trials that took place in late December. I wouldn't be surprised if he served the same role for the next ship to be commissioned, the Viking Sky, in 2017 and future ocean going ships for Viking.