Rome complimentary tour

Teah

If anyone has taken this I'd like to know what time they finished and do I have time to do a private tour of the Vatican? All info will help

We have signed up for the 7:45- 6:15 complimentary Rome Highlights tour on the first day in Rome and plan to use it to arrive in Rome but leave the group and take a taxi to the Borghese Gallery. I booked tickets for 1pm til 3:30. Then we will get ourselves back to the bus for departure. Plan B in case we can not connect with bus, is to get to Termini train Station and DIY back to Civi. I would only attempt this type of plan on day 1 in Rome, not day 2 as the Star overnights in port.

I assume the bus driver will be specific and clear on place and departure time.

We were on the Rome highlights tour on the January 19th cruise. We went first to the Colloseum, then to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain and lastly to the Campo de Fiori before breaking for lunch. After that on to to the Vatican a bit after 4 pm. The bus collected us about 5:30ish. What I'd suggest is to leave the group when it breaks for lunch and schedule your tour then. You can easily take a taxi to the Vatican and meet up with the tour guide and group at the end of the day. Your guide will give you a phone number to contact him/her.

We were on the Rome highlights tour on the January 19th cruise. We went first to the Colloseum, then to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain and lastly to the Campo de Fiori before breaking for lunch. After that on to to the Vatican a bit after 4 pm. The bus collected us about 5:30ish. What I'd suggest is to leave the group when it breaks for lunch and schedule your tour then. You can easily take a taxi to the Vatican and meet up with the tour guide and group at the end of the day. Your guide will give you a phone number to contact him/her.

Thanks for the details Deirdre, especially a recent experience. In my case, I am happy with the timing and will look up Campo de Fiori on my Rome map in relation to the Villa Borghese. We will leave the group at that point.

Can you confirm for me the meeting spot at 5:30 ish....I would assume it is St. Peter's Square so the group can wander from 4 pm til departure.

Sounds like a long day. What did you do on day 2 in Rome? I think we booked the Relaxed complimentary tour for the afternoon.

We took the morning free Relaxing Rome tour on 16th January. Due to the huge queue there was no time to do the Vatican tour or anything else there.

Meeting point is outside the Souvenir shop, which has plenty of toilet facilities too.

Thanks for the details Deirdre, especially a recent experience. In my case, I am happy with the timing and will look up Campo de Fiori on my Rome map in relation to the Villa Borghese. We will leave the group at that point.

Can you confirm for me the meeting spot at 5:30 ish....I would assume it is St. Peter's Square so the group can wander from 4 pm til departure.

Sounds like a long day. What did you do on day 2 in Rome? I think we booked the Relaxed complimentary tour for the afternoon.

We met at St. Peter's Square as you have surmised. And yes, it was as long day, but a wonderful day! We were so impressed with our local tour guide in Rome. This is the way this tour works: you have a tour guide who is on the bus with you when you board in the morning. She'll talk to you on the bus ride down. When you get to Rome--Colosseum stop--that's when you pick up another guide and she's the one who brings you on the walking tour. You tour the grounds around the Colosseum and then back on the bus for a bit more of Rome before being dropped off around the Spanish Steps. Exit the bus there and walk to several landmarks, ending up around Piazza Navonna for lunch and free time. Then on to the Vatican.

You can easily plan your tour because you'll have the ear of the guides, who will give you their phone numbers and all the pertinent information. It's unlikely you will be left in the lurch so plan your private tour with confidence that you won't be left behind.

I was texting on my cell phone earlier so I typed in the wrong dates--we were only on the January 10th cruise. I wish we'd have done another week but we didn't. :o

Thank you all for your posts and help with this. Based on all the info you have provided and especially Deirdre for breaking it down feel comfortable that we have time to arrange for private tour of Vatican for about 1:30. Thanks again everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to butt in but thought I would just give a comment. First I have never sailed with Viking but have been looking into them for next spring so thought I would take a look at the forums. Noticed this one on Rome and having been there on several land trips might be of help. From what I have seen your ship will be in Rome for the night. If that is the case and you do not stay in Rome for an evening walk and dinner at a local spot you are really missing something special. Have always found Rome to be a easy town to feel safe in and is easy to get around. You can easily catch a train back to the port a few blocks from the Vatican. The sites of Rome in the evening are spectacular. If you visit the Vatican museum I can tell you how to go from the Sistine Chapel right to the inside of St Peters without having to go back out and around. You must see both. Just thought I would let you know, if you want any information let me know and will try to help.