Porthole Question

ILCruiser

I have a question about the stateroom portholes. On the pictures I've seen, it looks like the portholes can be opened. Is that correct?

The portholes are sealed shut however there is a "cover" that can be opened or closed to prevent light from coming in. This "cover" is probably what you are looking at.

The portholes are sealed shut however there is a "cover" that can be opened or closed to prevent light from coming in. This "cover" is probably what you are looking at.

The technical term is 'deadlight', the strong cover over a porthole.

On one WINDSTAR cruise I told a few folks that the reason the portholes were sealed was because on the last night they ballast down and submerge them so non-divers could see the fish :p. he seas kicked up the last night causing the seas to sometime wash over the ports so folks thought I was right :D

I had already established myself as a knowledgeable sailor when at the end of the life boat drill I chastised the crew for not mentioning the MOST IMPORTANT survival tip should we ever actually take to the boats: remember to clean out the in room mini-bar :eek:

Archived