Transportation after Military Tattoo back to Greenock

We have purchased tickets to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh for August 18, 2016. I'm not too worried about getting from Greenock to Edinburgh on the train, but I'm a little worried about trying to take the train back after the show. Our cruise ship leaves port at 2am. Has anyone had any experience with the train that late? How about taking a taxi from Edinburgh or just calling Uber? Can you reserve a taxi or private driver in advance?

We have purchased tickets to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh for August 18, 2016. I'm not too worried about getting from Greenock to Edinburgh on the train, but I'm a little worried about trying to take the train back after the show. Our cruise ship leaves port at 2am. Has anyone had any experience with the train that late? How about taking a taxi from Edinburgh or just calling Uber? Can you reserve a taxi or private driver in advance?

The latest connection from Edinburgh to Greenock on the 18Aug leaves at 10.00pm getting into Greenock at 00.31am, as the Tattoo starts at 9pm don't think you would make it , as a matter of interest its 71miles from the centre of Edinburgh to Greenock.Am sure some of the other Scottish posters on this forum could advise you retaxis or private transfers

A taxi, even pre-booked is going to be expensive - £160 or more. I think your best bet would be to look on your roll call and see if you can find some other couple(s) to share with. The price is for the car, so adding another couple halves the cost to you.

I agree that taking the train is out of the question. Even at that time of night, it will be a two hour drive, plus the time it takes to find the taxi. The performance starts at 9pm and takes about 1hr 45mins, so you should be out by 11pm, which gives you an hour's wriggle room.

It's a tricky one because as much as I'd love to tell you that there are various options there is in fact only one and that is you'll have to book a taxi / car to take you back to Greenock. It's a great pity Princess only offers the Tattoo from Greenock but I guess it helps them monopolise the market with their tours :D. You might try to negotiate for a driver from outside the city who might offer you a better deal. If you message me on tartanexile81@outlook.com, I'll give you some phone numbers that might be worth trying.

BTW I'm joining the ship at Invergordon to tell you more about Edinburgh. Come and listen in Club Fusion!

Hi Cowboykidd

I answered the same question last year, you will not get back to the ship for an 0200 sailing using the train.

Depending in how many are in your party you may be cheaper hiring a private car to take you there and back.

This is a local company that may be worth trying.

http://www.executive-travel-scotland.com.

I do hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland.