First time sailing with a disabled person

serene56

I have traveled a few times but this is the first going with a person that has limited mobility in a scooter chair.

Going on the Liberty in February- I see a flight available at 11:30. I know Joe and I can make that. BUT is that too much to handle with a person with limited capabilities?

Next fligth is at 7:30pm

Hi

My husband is a quad and he uses an electric power wheelchair, our flight leaves at 7:30 am. I think you need to ask the scooter person if this time is good for them. This is very early for me, but I probably will not sleep that night anyway. We will have to leave about 5:30 am to get (1/2 hr) to the airport, checking in at the parking garage off/site they will drive us in our van, and then take it back to the lot. Giving us enough time to get thru metal defectors and mcdonalds for breakfast. We usually board the plane first.

I make sure I am at the airline counter 1 hr before the flight leaves. We sit and eat our McDonalds while we wait.

Depending on how they person you are with adapts to travel, is how to depend on what time to leave.

We are leaving in January and from the North the sooner I am out of the cold the better.

We are going to a hotel so we can nap if we need it but i plan on sitting by the pool for the afternoon.

Good luck.

Unless I'm wrong, I think Serene is asking about a flight back home after the cruise, and not flying to the cruise. Personally, as someone who's disabled, I think you can make that flight, but only if you have private transportation to the airport and IF everything goes smoothly with disembarking. If even one thing causes a delay in leaving the ship, getting there could be a problem for someone in a scooter. There are a lot more things you have to take into consideration when traveling with someone in a scooter or WC like getting them into and out of the vehicle, securing the scooter in the vehicle and getting it back out once you're at the airport and things like that. I would give the early flight a try, and make absolutely sure you're the first off the ship and have your transportation to the airport set up beforehand.

Thanks Darcie: I was inquiring about leaving AFTEr the cruise.

Our friend has very limited mobility. and does have a scooter. So it needs to be placed inside a vehicle and taken out again when we arrive at the airport.

Since he is HC we wont have to wait in the lines to check in but will have to wait in security. I see 6 ships coming in the same day as us. Securtiy sounds like it may be a mess to get through at FLL airport.

As much as I want to take that 11:30 I will just go for the later flight and see what happens.

Thanks for your help/

Serene, I think that is a good idea. Even an able-bodied person can run into delays and they seem to crop up often when you have a disability! It is much better to allow a little extra time for unforseen things--like a delay in actually docking (had that one happen!)

Although you probably could make the earlier flight, I agree that the later flight is better. generally the disabled and their companions are disembarked as a group right after the self-disembarkation and early flights. However, sometimes you need to wait for your color tag.

In addition, generally the diabled do not have to wait in line at airport security, but they can be held up waiting for someone to search them. In addition, as Sarahsmom85 said, the disabled are usually boarded first (Note: they are also the last off) so it is important to get to the airport early.

One more thing. I have always found that planning is especially important when with traveling with someone with limited mobility and this board is a great resource for doing so.

Archived