Help, still need airport transportation...

Sarahsmom85

Hi

I posted this along time ago but now I am looking for fresh advise. Leaving in January coming into Orlando Airport going to the Raddison at the port, Cape Canaveral.

The problem: Because we are stopping at a hotel RCI does not provide transportation. Then not all transportation companys 1) have wheelchair vans 2) stop at certain hotels.

I called several and so far only Arts will take us. They first said $65 for two people now they called back and said it would be $95. They said it is a large bus and because not a lot of people would be going to the Raddison they would have to charge us more. Everything always cost the disabled more.

So I ask again does anyone know of any other outfits that have wheelchair lifts that service the Cape Canaveral area?

Yellow Cab wants $125 pickup fee plus mileage. Estimate cost $295.

I think I can get RCI transportation from the ship back to the airport, because we are going straight home.

One more question: has anyone gotten RCI transportation? Did you get it ahead of time? or on the ship? Any problems getting a wheelchair bus?

Any help will be welcome. Thanks

The Orlando airport's official site has a list of out-of-town shuttle services, and Group 2 services Southeast Florida, including Cape Canaveral. (For instance, the first operator listed is "AAA Access Transport.") You could use this official orlando airport list and call the companies listed. The website is: http://www.orlandoairports.net:/goaa/ops/shuttle.htm

If you can't bring up the website that way, just do a google search for Orlando Airport and find their official site; then on the far left, click on parking and transportation, then click on out-of-town shuttle services.

Orlando is 54 miles from Port Canaveral, so I doubt that the Radisson will transport you that far for free. HOWEVER, if they offer a free shuttle from the Orlando airport to their Port Cape Canaveral hotel, then they are required to provide handicapped accessible transportation for you. They don't have to own the vehicle, but they must have a contact they can use to provide the same free transportation that they offer to others. As I said, I would doubt that 54 miles would be a reasonable area to expect free transportation.

Have you called the hotel directly (usually it will not be an 800 number) and asked the Radisson which accessible transportation companies come to their hotel? That has helped us in the past.

Judie,

Yes I did call the Raddison and they didn't say anything about offering free transportation. The group we are traveling with are coming in on different days and times. Our travel guide is arranging a shuttle bus for the people who she booked air for. I got my own air and are coming in at a different time then the others. So I am arranging my own transportation. The hotel give me Arts Shuttle as the one they use.

The hotel is providing w/c transportantion from the airport to the dock for free.

I did had to have the travel agent get us a transfer for the way home.

I don't mind paying for the shuttle. I know how far it is to the Raddison and won't expect it for free but I don't like the idea that I have to pay double what others are paying.

I did find one more company who charges $75 but they do not have a premit to pick up wheelchairs from the airport yet. They said to check back next month.

Transportation is what makes it so hard to travel with a wheelchair.

You are certainly right about transportation being difficult to arrange! I hope you will check the Orlando airport site that I gave yesterday and call some of the transportation companies listed. All of ones in "Group 2" service from Orlando airport to the Post Canaveral area. If you call one of the companies that does not have accessible transportation, ask them if they can recommend a company that does. I have found they are often more than willing to give me a couple of names of other companies to call. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

I realize that if you are staying with a group, this won't work. But if you aren't staying with a group, I suggest that you consider getting a pre-night hotel stay from the cruise line. While the hotel probably won't be as cheap as you can get on your own, at least this way you could get the cruise transportation. And who knows, maybe the cruise line is using the Radisson. You could have your travel agent check and see what hotel and whether the package is still available (as the cruise line typically only has a limited number of the pre-cruise hotel packages.)

Using google I found Port Canaveral lists- Art's Transportation "Wheelchair Service", 321-783-2112.

on the DIS boards this was posted in Aug. Two available drivers with accessable vehicles.

Nadia Tobolsky 321-695-2711

Alexander Tobolsky 321-695-2643

They contract with Mears but also take independent calls. Please call 30 minutes in advance.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?referrerid=&t=884526

We are arriving early and staying at a hotel, which will pick us up at the airport. The cruise contact person suggested, if the hotel can't get us to the port that we take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, and then get the cruise transportation to the port.

• 4 weeks later...

Update I booked transportation with Arts and then canceled it when the price jumped form $60 to $90. They had me confussed about them being able to pick us up or not and last thing i need is confussion.

I rebooked with Travelyn at 1-800-2265969 for $75.

I did call some of the companys listed at the airport site but most did not provide w/c transportation.

Anyway i'm just glad to cross one more thing off my list. We have transfers from RCCI for the way home so we are all set there.

Thanks for all the help.

I will post how this company works out when we return.

Archived