Safe to travel on SD1?

randomwalk

I'm considering booking a trip on the SD1 in December (next month). Given some of the talk about recent illness and Norwalk virus on the ship, do you think it's sensible to book a cruise for next month? Some people have said the ship has since been sanitized, but of course the last thing I'd want is to be miserable and sick on my vacation.

Please let me know your thoughts!

I would not hesitate to go. The illness was brought on board by a passenger and if a recurrence happens it will be because another passenger brings it on again. Please read the CDC web site for information and don't let this spoil your vacation.

we are really looking forward to our trip, are you staying in san juan pre or post cruise, unfortunately we are sneaking thsi trip in and are flying in teh day before and out the day we return

we have had a ton of trouble finding somewhere to stay for just one night as we arrive on the 26th for the cruise, we ended up at the marriot but are still wait listed at the ritz carlton....have you been aboard sd previously?

The illness was brought on board by a passenger and if a recurrence happens it will be because another passenger brings it on again......

I was on one of those cruises, and there is no real evidence that I know of that shows it was brought on by a passenger. In fact, the cruise before us, from what I know, there were about 30 people who got sick at the same time. So, I still do not know how it was brought on board or what it was, except that it was very nasty stuff. The CDC web site is no help - the term norwalk virus is a very general term and can cover anything from many viruses to food poisoning. Also, on another subject, if I were thinking about going on SD 1, at a minimum, I would ask them if they now had a contigency plan if such an illness were to reappear(their response on our cruise was not good), and also if they acquired a new chef(the food was not liked much by any one I talked to, when they were still eating that is) and a new activities director(the person that was there knew absolutely nothing about any of our stops and was not at all helpful). I don't know if SD has just changed a lot or what, but even despite the illness, our cruise was nothing like the "great food and service" described by many on this board. We were really looking forward to it beforehand and were much dissappointed.

Also, on another subject, if I were thinking about going on SD 1, at a minimum, I would ask them if they now had a contigency plan if such an illness were to reappear(their response on our cruise was not good), and also if they acquired a new chef(the food was not liked much by any one I talked to, when they were still eating that is) and a new activities director(the person that was there knew absolutely nothing about any of our stops and was not at all helpful). I don't know if SD has just changed a lot or what, but even despite the illness, our cruise was nothing like the "great food and service" described by many on this board. We were really looking forward to it beforehand and were much dissappointed.

No offense Dream Vacationer, but you seem to have an agenda against SeaDream. Anyone know if this guy Dream Vacationer is legitimate? This is the first I've heard of someone being under-whelmed by SeaDream and unhappy with the food ("the food was not liked much by any one I talked to").

Have others out there been disappointed by SeaDream? Has it gone downhill recently?

randomwalk:

I suggest that you read some of the live from Seadream reports that are currently on the board. I don't see the complaints in those reports. In fact those reports seem very detailed. I cannot imagine that SD failed to meet someones expectations.

DH and I returned from STT and SD 2 this week.

We thought that the food on SD 2 was very good to excellent and much improved over last year's on SD 1.

Our CD was Richard and he was quite entertaining.

I believe everyone has different expectations on the food as well as different tastes.

With such high expectations by the passengers and the usual delivery of top notch services, a Sea Dream cruise can be disappointing if an extraordinary event occurs (whether its an illness on board or being bombarded by underage children). Not meaning to trivialize illness, but the quality of the Sea Dream l Cruise of March 2005 was seriously impaired due to numerous rug rats - at least to me and several others on board (but my husband didn't really mind).

Chefs and activity directors, like captains, and chief stewards and other crew rotate on and off the ships, so experiences may vary. Personally, I found the Sea Dream II menu this year more attractive than the menu last year on Sea Dream I, but I like a lot of Thai food. Each activity director has his or her own personality and style. What I have found is that while on board, the staff does its utmost to fulfill the customer's vocalized requests -- whether its a special menu or changing the course of the ship at lunch so the salad won't blow off the plates.

So far two out of 3 of our Sea Dream cruises have been the best vacations ever -- we have several more booked -- and are counting down the days .

FT

I have only 4 voyages on SeaDream and I have eaten at some of the finest places around the world...Believe me...The food is not bad, but may not be right for your tastes. My most expensive dinner that I have ever paid for was actually not the best for me, but my other dinner guests thought it was the greatest.

When you think of what they do onboard, I must give them credit for super results. Next time bring your own Chef so we can all judge what you consider a masterpiece.

All in all, I really think that the SeaDream experience is wonderful for what they can do and not for what they can't do...

Just my 3 cents after cruising on almost all of the so called Luxury lines..

LUX:)

I wonder if the problems are on Seadream I ? When we sailed SD II last year it was wonderful. It seems all the "complaints" now are about SDI. Has anyone sailed SD I recently and had a favorable experience?

This frightens me however since we are sailing with them on Nov. 27th.

I agree with your Lux ... We have found the same thing during our travels.

When we talked with the Chef last week on SD 2 he said that he really has free reign to use fresh and available items ... there are certain meals that remain the same from cruise to cruise (the pea soup on Thursdays at lunch for example as that is one of the captain's favorite, according to the chef).

I wouldn't worry travelchik ... if something does not meet your expectations let your waiter know and he will do everything he can to find something that suits your palate!

we did not think seadream was all that great

as seabourn fans, we found the service and food to be significantly better on seabourn

we enjoyed the physical ship and ambiance of seadream, but i can understand completely that it was not the perfect experience decscribed by others

we are giving it a second chance because we were offered a great discount on the price because the previous trip we took was so disappointing

we did not find the cruise director or the dining room captain very accomodating at all, and the food was good, not great

we'll see this time

We too are Seabourn fans. Everything else pales in comparison. Having said that, when we are in the Caribbean, we prefer a less than formal trip and Seadream fits our need. We had sailed on the ships when they were the Seabourn Goddess's and find them better now than before, at least in terms of the physical aspects. (Nothing beats the Balinese beds on the upper deck.)

Although we enjoyed the service, the food and the new dinning room, they can't compare to what we have come to expect on Seabourn, but they are still exceptional, and our only complaint was the choice of house wines. (We simply asked for others and also ordered from their wine list.)

The ship’s sizes are absolutely perfect for the smaller islands, and the laid back itineraries are a perfect match for the Caribbean.

When it comes to Europe, Asia and South America, Seabourn is our choice, but the Seadream Twins are surely a favorite for our winter escapes.

Sea-hawk

:) For me, the lack of formality is one of the top attributes of Sea Dream -- as marketed by Sea Dream - -this is a personal yachting experience. So if you are expecting a more structured experience, you might be disappointed.

I lurk around the Seabourn boards but can't bring myself to spend my vacation where several nights are "formal attire" -- and the alternative is the Verandah (which doesn't seem to get great reviews for dinner) or room service.

For those debating Sea Dream I or II - we choose by itinerary.

FT

Dh and I were talking last week while we were aboard SD2 how we enjoy being not having to bring along formal dress while yachting ... along with no structure. We have enough structure in our "real" lives so it is wonderful to do absolutely nothing!

I do agree that SD is more of a "yachting" experience versus a "cruising" experience. We love the size of the ship ... we had just 54 people on board.

There have been some changes on SD 1 since we sailed her last year ... Jimmy has retired and we are hearing excellent things about the new chief steward ... although the team of Christophe and Martain on SD 2 can't be beat!

I too have lurked on the Seabourn boards ... my sense is that the whole experience is more formal than on SD. At this point in our life we choose the less formal and less structured route. Of course, your mileage may vary:p

Archived