By Rail or Ship?

mared1

We are sailing on the Carnival Legend and can't decide if we want to take the excursion by rail that runs alongside the panama canal or the one on a ship that actually goes through part of the canal. How much of the canal can you see from the train? Pros and cons for both are welcome.

Thanks.

We took the Train Tour three years ago and really enjoyed the trip. The train parallels the Canal, but there are many times when the Canal is not visible. The main opportunity to see parts of the Canal is during the bus tour at the Pacific end of the Canal. During the bus trip, you will visit Mira Flores Locks, and several other locations near the Pacific Ocean (Bridge of the Americas, Canal Headquarters, former US Military Bases, etc.).

I agree with VikkieGarica that the boat trip probably provides the best opportunity to see nearly the entire Canal, but the Train Tour is a good alternative if the boat tour becomes a problem (sold out or too long).

We just did the Boat this last week!!!! Great tour they really took care of us. I would do it again it was so cool. I hope you get Bonnie for a tour guide, she is awesome. There are long bus rides going to and from the boat.

Just did the ferry trip on 11/30, and although the trip thru the southern locks was great, the bus trips in both directions were very long, and what was advertised as a 7 hours excursion lasted over 10 hours. They had to hold the cruise ship for us, as we didn't make it back by departure time. The locks and the canal were wonderful to view from a small(er) boat, but I just wish they had been more honest about the time frame, so we would have been better prepared.

Archived