Any advice on tanning beds?

RizzoLee

I don't really believe in tanning beds-but I'm tired of getting 2nd degree sunburns on my 1st day on ship-no matter if I'm wearing SPF 40 (which I will continue to wear even after tanning). I've always been proud of my 'real' tan. I don't want to 'self-tan' since I'm allergic to a lot of those products.

Does anyone have any advice on moisturizers, how long to tan for or what to look for in a tanning bed facility (signs of cleanliness, what level of service to expect)? Prices?

I expect to start a month before my cruise, so post-Christmas. Hopefully this will be the first one I'm not labelled 'Lobster Girl' for!

Thanks!

This may interest you, a new type of tanning bed. There may be some in your area.

The great thing about high-pressure tanning beds is that they use lighting designed to filter out most of the UVB light while letting just enough shine through to stimulate the melanocytes. The result is that more UVA light reaches the melanin, which provides a great tan with less risk of skin problems.

I am cruising in ten days and started my tanning a month ago as I didn't wish to be either the woman with the glow in the dark white legs or the lobster queen either!! Where I go have 3 types of beds, bronzing, stand up intense and a high intensity bed. Where I am going they have not tried to press me to buy any lotions ($50 a bottle mind you!) and they are very clean and have insisted that burning is not the way to a "tan." I started with only six minutes in one of the bronzing beds and have now "graduated" to to full time in the stand up intense bed and to 12 minutes in the higher intensity bed (with no pink even last night!). I Have found that after I get home, shower or bath is a MUST after tanning then comes the moisturizer. I like to use lots of aloe vera based gels with vitamin e. I don't like regular Lotions as I feel they are too greasy for my skin (even though I have dry skin) I also bath with the oil of olay soap with coco and shea butter in it. My skin stays soft and not flakey. So for me I guess I am doing the right thing and my color is developing very nicely.

Good luck!!! You are SMART to start a month in advance!

Starting ahead of time is an excellent idea!!! You'll still need to use sunscreen on the cruise, but at least you have a better chance not to be that Lobster Girl!

When I go, also about a month pre-cruise, I buy that unlimited package of tanning for the month so it is the most economical too. That way I can go very slowly and not burn along the way. I go in for only about three minutes when I start out for the first 3-4 times in the bed. Then I usually jump it up a few minutes in the next subsequent visits and so on. All the way til the very end when I am in for the entire duration of the bed which is usually 20minutes.

I do use a bronzer (that was OK to use in the bed, they will let you know whats allowed in there and what isn't) from the beginning to help with color and moisturizing. Like Chyna says, come home and shower and moisturize and you'll probably be fine!

I love tanning beds...they are soooo relaxing to me. I am thinking that I may tan at the beginning of the year myself just for that seasonal uplift that I need in the doldrums of winter! It is very rejuvenating!! (Even though we don't cruise til the end of March!)

When tanning, the lotion is really good. The more moisturized your skin is, the better the color will develop and remain. When first starting out, you want to start with a moisturizing lotion or a bronzing lotion with only moisturizers in it. After you've reached your plateau (where you feel you can't get any tanner) I would use something with a tingle factor. This will bring your melanin to the surface quicker and help you tan more.

The stand-up bed is good but really, really hot. I like to do calf raises while tanning. It's the best way to spend the time. Tan and a work-out, what could be better.

The stand-up bed is good but really, really hot. I like to do calf raises while tanning. It's the best way to spend the time. Tan and a work-out, what could be better.

Thanks for the giggle... Yea-I keep meaning to start working out again... hasn't happened yet (whops). But I will start tanning soon-one out of 2 ain't (ugh-I hate that word) bad!

Should I run home and shower/moisturize right after tanning or can it wait til after work? I plan on tanning around 12pm-ish, and I work 1pm-9pm Monday-Friday. I can try to tan earlier in the morning if that's better though-just hate the idea of leaving the house for only half an hour (I'm lazy that way) when it's so cold out!

Thanks for the giggle... Yea-I keep meaning to start working out again... hasn't happened yet (whops). But I will start tanning soon-one out of 2 ain't (ugh-I hate that word) bad!

Should I run home and shower/moisturize right after tanning or can it wait til after work? I plan on tanning around 12pm-ish, and I work 1pm-9pm Monday-Friday. I can try to tan earlier in the morning if that's better though-just hate the idea of leaving the house for only half an hour (I'm lazy that way) when it's so cold out!

You may find yourself pretty sweaty after you tan. You won't want to go to work for several hours without taking your shower.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been tanning for my upcoming cruise...it doesn't really matter what kind of bed you use, just start far enough in advance so that you can slowly get color. As long as you start out in low incrimints, you shouldn't burn. The more expensive of a bed you use, lessens your chance of burning. Also after tanning, use Jergens Natural Glow lotion, it will keep you moisturized and bring out your tan.

I have been tanning for my upcoming cruise...it doesn't really matter what kind of bed you use, just start far enough in advance so that you can slowly get color. As long as you start out in low incrimints, you shouldn't burn. The more expensive of a bed you use, lessens your chance of burning. Also after tanning, use Jergens Natural Glow lotion, it will keep you moisturized and bring out your tan.

Thanks! How far in advance did you start tanning? I'm going for the first time today. :)

Thanks! How far in advance did you start tanning? I'm going for the first time today. :)

I leave Jan 6th for vacation. I went tanning like twice the first week of december. Then I went 3 times last week..three this week...and will go three times next week before the trip. That is enough to get me dark enough, I am Italian. I just want color so I don't burn. I am not trying to be totally brown. I am already pretty dark from just a few tans, but i got package so I intend to get my money's worth.

Also, if you have a french manicure, make sure to get nail caddy's so your nails don't turn yellow.

I don't really believe in tanning beds-but I'm tired of getting 2nd degree sunburns on my 1st day on ship-no matter if I'm wearing SPF 40 (which I will continue to wear even after tanning). I've always been proud of my 'real' tan. I don't want to 'self-tan' since I'm allergic to a lot of those products.

Does anyone have any advice on moisturizers, how long to tan for or what to look for in a tanning bed facility (signs of cleanliness, what level of service to expect)? Prices?

I expect to start a month before my cruise, so post-Christmas. Hopefully this will be the first one I'm not labelled 'Lobster Girl' for!

Thanks!

You know, having a suntan really doesn't protect you from getting sunburn, it is really a myth. A deep dark tan only is the equivalent of an SPF of 5 or so.

You know, having a suntan really doesn't protect you from getting sunburn, it is really a myth. A deep dark tan only is the equivalent of an SPF of 5 or so.

Not in my experience. :) I get burnt the first time or two out in the sun during the summer, which turns into a tan, and then I'm fine for the rest of the summer. But each person is different, my mother just burns, and burns, and burns.... ;)

Not in my experience. :) I get burnt the first time or two out in the sun during the summer, which turns into a tan, and then I'm fine for the rest of the summer. But each person is different, my mother just burns, and burns, and burns.... ;)

I as well don't burn once I have a good tan.

And if nothing else, it looks better to be tan and wear shorts than to be a ghost and wear shorts ;)

Do you think being tan is healthier than being a "ghost"?

Limited exposure to a tanning bed is no better or worse than limited exposure to the sun. And limited exposure to a tanning bed is much healthier than getting sun poisoning.

To each their own, I like to tan before a trip, if you don't that's fine...but don't knock what you don't know. I hate when people knock tanning when they have probably never tried it or know nothing about it.

Wow - I have no idea what happened.........but anyway.

Moisturizer is the key and best tool to a great tan. Please only use lotions that your salon recommends/sells DURING tanning. Some of the lotions purchased in a drug store can do some real damage to the acrylics - your salon will thank you NOT to use these. After your shower/bath please use a good moisturizer. Your tan will last longer and look better.

Someone who posted that a tan is not a guarantee that you will not burn is CORRECT. Yes, some people will not burn with a good base tan, but most others will burn very quickly, especially in the Caribbean. The sun is so much hotter there. You really should protect your skin - use a SPF product whenever you are in the sun.

The high-pressure beds are great. Yes they cost more. But the results are a more 'tan' color to your skin and it lasts much longer.

Oh and one more thing.........PLEASE use eyewear. I know I know the 'racoon' look is not attractive, but neither is damage to your eyes. The side effect of not using eyewear is loss of night vision - this cannot be corrected!!

Just my thoughts. Yes - I am a tanner and love the look, the light therapy, and I 'feel' better when I am tan. It is not for everyone.

my3kids-it's funny that you mention the racoon eyes-my eye wear slipped and now I have a lopsided racoon look since I didn't realize this, lol.

Everyone has recommended that I start at 5 minutes, but the salon's tanning 'software' said I'd be okay for 9 minutes. I now have a mild sunburn (whops), doesn't really hurt, but is pretty itchy from my first session yesterday. The manager was asking returning new clients if they were still pink from their first session-most said yes, and she let them tan anyways. Will I be okay if I wait til Saturday to go again? I didn't think it would have been a good idea to go while still 'pink', but if she let those other people go again with no problem...

My first session was great, btw. When I closed my eyes it felt like I was on the beach-the fan felt like the wind, but I do have the vertical lines on my back from not moving enough on the bed. :D Now, if my laziness doesn't kick in and I can keep going everyweek, I should be fine! I hate leaving the house in the winter, and for less than 20 minutes makes it even worse, lol. Thanks for the advice!

Although I have not personnally tried it, several alternative medicine sites advise using astaxanthin as an alternative to commercially produced sunscreens. The folks at www.newstarget.com are really good about answering email inquiries sent through their "contact us" link. The site originator, Mike Adams, claims to successfully use astaxanthin and may be a good source for practical advice.

Here's a description of NSI Natural Astaxanthin from www.vitacost.com:

Astaxanthin is considered one of the most versatile natural antioxidants. Astaxanthin has been part of a growing number of peer-reviewed scientific publications. Studies show that natural astaxanthin can protect the skin from the damaging affects of UV radiation, enhance the immune system and enhance energy metabolism. Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring carotenoid pigment with a unique molecular structure that gives it superior antioxidant activity, up to 550 times the antioxidant activity of vitamin E and 10 times the activity of beta-carotene. Astaxanthin maximizes the body’s use of carotenoids and vitamins A and E. Astaxanthin exhibits strong free radical scavenging activity and protects against lipid peroxidation and oxidative damage of LDL-cholesterol, cell membranes, cells, and tissues. NSI Astaxanthin contains a natural astaxanthin derived from microalgae that was reviewed by the FDA.

Please don't think I'm sticking my 2 cents in but I just had to. I have had skin cancer 7 times and have gone through a partial reconstruction of my face and nose due to the cancer. I've been on more than 60 cruises and up until 2001 always used a tanning bed prior to sailing, because, like so many of you, I always believed you looked healthier with the tan. How I wish I had listened to people when I was younger. Facial reconstruction is extremely painful, especially, when they need to graft skin. The best thing anyone can do is to avoid sunburning is to limit exposure to the sun. If you don't believe me, ask any doctor or dermatologist. Sun beds are NOT safe, no matter what anyone wants to believe. I still burn with SPF40.

Bellieve me, I still love the sun. Now when I cruise, I always do so with a variety of hats, which I wear in the pool, in the ocean and just walking around. I wear SPF40 and try to limit my exposure to the sun. And I still have a wonderful time.

Marge-your .02 cents are always most welcome here. :)

My mother has had breast cancer once and skin cancer twice. My father has recently been diagnosed with skin cancer as well. We're part Native Canadian and he has always gone without sun screen, blatantly denying the fact that while's he's naturally darker than any of us he does in fact still burn, and burns often. While both of their skin cancers were the basal cell carcinoma type (not life threatening), I can definitely appreciate the pain you've been going through and the battle you've been fighting. :(

While I know some people who swear by tanning beds, I myself am still on the fence about them. A sales agent in my office is so maroon I can't even look at her anymore, I think she practically lives in the tanning salon. My DBF's uncle 'winters' in Florida every year-I can't look at him anymore either, since his skin looks like it has rivets in it.

As you read above, I too get extremely burnt by the sun since I'm so fair, no matter the SPF 40 or not. Being from Long Island, I'm sure you understand the limited sun exposure we get in the winter-I'm from Toronto, Ontario. Walking into the Caribbean at the end of January usually means I get a 2nd degree burn. I weighed the options-2nd degree burn, or limited exposure to 'fake' sunlight in hopes of giving my body some sort of protection and not completely ruining my vacation. Or having people come up and poke me to find out if my sunburn is actually real because it's so red. Can you believe that???

For me it's not a matter of looking healthier-I'm hoping it will be more preventative than anything. I hope that a suntan will be safer than a blistering sunburn in the long run, and I have to decide if the pre-tanning is worth it. If not-I will definitely not be going back to the tanning salon-I will be looking into getting a SPF 75 instead. :)

Marge- I'm sorry for your pain sweetie :( I am glad you are okay now. As you know in our area of the country especially, there are a lot of tanning addicts and it's stories like yours that actually keep me from becoming one of them. When I was in high school, I thought tanning was "cool" or something, but now I only do it for a limited time for limited occasions.

Rizz- have you gone yet? I have 2 more tans left to do. I am dark, but not ridiculously dark. If this is the only time you plan to do it, it really won't cause any harm to your body. I think when people become addicted, it's a whole nother story. I have seen some girls so tan that it is disgusting and probably terrible for their skin.

My first session was great, btw. When I closed my eyes it felt like I was on the beach-the fan felt like the wind, but I do have the vertical lines on my back from not moving enough on the bed. :D Now, if my laziness doesn't kick in and I can keep going everyweek, I should be fine! I hate leaving the house in the winter, and for less than 20 minutes makes it even worse, lol. Thanks for the advice!

Hiya neighbour.. :) I am just curious as to what type of bed you used for the 1st time.. I started to go tanning the beginning of Dec.. I went twice in bed 1 the lowest for 11mins both times and received no colour what so ever.. And yes I am very fair and burn like crazy as well.. I will be starting back next week too busy over the last month ..

As for the skin cancer post.. My father who loves the sun never wears sun screen and gets black as toby's a$$ was diagnosed last year with basal on his face.. wasn't a pretty site to see the big gouge outta the side of his face but it has healed very well .. he now only wears sunscreen on his face..:rolleyes:

Tanning a few times a year I don't think will affect anyone.. but burning 2nd degree everytime in the sun does cause damage.. I myself as a kid burned on the shoulders so bad they blistered and now the result lots of freckles..:p:p

Archived