RCCL Brilliance Service dog cruise forming

sologrip

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you've taken these cruises before with your service animal? We (DH & I) are going Western Carrib. end of Feb. 06 and concerned about taking my service dog on an international cruise (i.e. no problem with the Key West stop). This is also our first time on RCCL, last cuise was on Carnival (Inner Passage Alaska), but they (RCCL) are encouraging us to bring the dog, TA stating they will "watch" her during the two international port of calls if we get off ship. Can I connect with someone who has already done an international with RCCL? We have another two weeks to make a final decision, I'm leaning toward not bringing her as I don't think she would adjust well to having me "disappear" and "reappear" twice during the cruise for a full day, I think she might do better if she stays with a close friend of mine that she knows well and I do the disappear/reappear only once, and possibly she gets a bit of a vacation herself. I would also be interested in knowing if this is a travel group that goes yearly?

This is really cool to read, we don't have a service dog but we do have 3 dogs and have talked about being able to go on a dog cruise with one of our boys.

We have talked about our Black Lab as he is the best behaved, he is also very special as he only has three legs. He came to us that way when we adopted him and he is very special.

I hope you can get a nice group together, sounds like fun.

This is really cool to read, we don't have a service dog but we do have 3 dogs and have talked about being able to go on a dog cruise with one of our boys.

We have talked about our Black Lab as he is the best behaved, he is also very special as he only has three legs. He came to us that way when we adopted him and he is very special.

I hope you can get a nice group together, sounds like fun.

No it's just not a "dog" cruise.

It's a service dog cruise.

It's not for pets, which is what you have.

Service animals are another issue and they are allowed to be on cruise ships (or any other place).

It's not just a place to take your pets (who you consider family). It is for working dogs -- service animals.

Candy

Sounds like you've taken these cruises before with your service animal? We (DH & I) are going Western Carrib. end of Feb. 06 and concerned about taking my service dog on an international cruise (i.e. no problem with the Key West stop). This is also our first time on RCCL, last cuise was on Carnival (Inner Passage Alaska), but they (RCCL) are encouraging us to bring the dog, TA stating they will "watch" her during the two international port of calls if we get off ship. Can I connect with someone who has already done an international with RCCL? We have another two weeks to make a final decision, I'm leaning toward not bringing her as I don't think she would adjust well to having me "disappear" and "reappear" twice during the cruise for a full day, I think she might do better if she stays with a close friend of mine that she knows well and I do the disappear/reappear only once, and possibly she gets a bit of a vacation herself. I would also be interested in knowing if this is a travel group that goes yearly?

This will be the fifth cruise that Cash and I have taken in the past couple of years (E. Carrib., Panama Canal, West. Carrib.. ) The only problem that I have had taking Cash off the ship in international ports is the prevalence of loose native dogs that are aggressive. As long as you follow the quarantine requirements for the countries you will be visiting you will be allowed off the ship...Your TA should get that information for you. Why would your TA think that someone who needs to use a Service Dog be able to, or want to, just leave the dog in the hands of the crew? And, if you need the assistance of a Service dog to mitigate the effects of a disability, how will you be able to just leave her at home with a babysitter? Oh, Daun Flynn at daun@traveldepotinc.com organizes service dog cruises and service dog training cruises . Contact her for the current schedule of organized cruises. There's nothing like a 7-day cruise with ten or more service dogs added to the passenger mix... This transatlantic cruise is not a regularly scheduled service dog training cruise...just a bunch of service dogs and their handlers on vacation...

Lynda,

It was an assumption on my part that it would not be worth it to investigate the quarrantine issues for those countries, assuming I would have more trouble with access there than I would here where it is legal. Two months ago, we had a woman with a service dog be refused entrance to her group college exam because she had a service dog and "dogs aren't allowed and she might be too distracting to other testers". This woman was not someone with a hidden disability. I had a conversation last night with Daun who reassured me that she has not had problems in other countries and gave me some information to get started that was really helpful.

I by no means want this to sound adversarial, however, I have a disability and do utilize a medical alert service dog. I am not going to disclose medical conditions on this board, (not that I think you are asking me to). On occassion, there have been times where I have chosen to "go it alone" which to me means being only with my husband whom I have been with for 15 years who does know how to address my medical needs if they arrise; the purpose of my dog is to identify issues prior to and minimize/prevent them from occuring by having me access additional medication and be in a safe environment. I never get to truly be "alone" anymore. I am quite uncomfortable with what was suggested by the TA (the "watching" issue) and that was why I was trying to reach out for help on this board. This will be my first international cruise and I would like to have a good time, and be able to have the best options for me.

No it's just not a "dog" cruise.

It's a service dog cruise.

It's not for pets, which is what you have.

Service animals are another issue and they are allowed to be on cruise ships (or any other place).

It's not just a place to take your pets (who you consider family). It is for working dogs -- service animals.

Candy

I was quite well aware that it was a service dog cruise. I am also aware of the differences in what a pet is and a service dog and that service dogs are allowed to go anywhere they need when in service.

I was merely "thinking out loud" about how we dream of a cruise where we can take our pets. I was also stating that I thought it was quite special that there is a service dog cruise because, as I am sure you are well aware that a very special bond exists between a service dog and their owner that is very much like the bond between a pet and owner when the dog is not working but is at the same time a very different relationship due to the service aspect.

Lynda,

Two months ago, we had a woman with a service dog be refused entrance to her group college exam because she had a service dog and "dogs aren't allowed and she might be too distracting to other testers". This woman was not someone with a hidden disability. I had a conversation last night with Daun who reassured me that she has not had problems in other countries and gave me some information to get started that was really helpful.

I by no means want this to sound adversarial, however, I have a disability and do utilize a medical alert service dog. I am not going to disclose medical conditions on this board, (not that I think you are asking me to). On occassion, there have been times where I have chosen to "go it alone" which to me means being only with my husband whom I have been with for 15 years who does know how to address my medical needs if they arrise; the purpose of my dog is to identify issues prior to and minimize/prevent them from occuring by having me access additional medication and be in a safe environment. I never get to truly be "alone" anymore. I am quite uncomfortable with what was suggested by the TA (the "watching" issue) and that was why I was trying to reach out for help on this board. This will be my first international cruise and I would like to have a good time, and be able to have the best options for me.

I'm glad you contacted Daun...She is very knowledgable about service dogs at sea and I would trust her and any information she has to offer ....I, too was very surprised at the suggestion by your TA... crazy things some people will do or say when they don't understand the issues...I did hear of one testing incident (was that the testing for the pharmacy license?) and understand that the people involved were subsequently educated, although that hardly excuses the mess they made of an already stressful situation...Grrr. I know from experience that using a service dog gets to be addictive and couldn't imagine leaving Cash home...something a neighbor of mine simply cannot understand. I appreciate that he believes his arm is an acceptable substitute for Cash's strength but it's just not the same. Poor Cash...Doomed to live a life of international travel.....

I hope you have a great time on your trip and that you can find all the answers you need to make plans for a wonderful adventure!

:p

II did hear of one testing incident (was that the testing for the pharmacy license?) and understand that the people involved were subsequently educated, although that hardly excuses the mess they made of an already stressful situation...Grrr.

I hope you have a great time on your trip and that you can find all the answers you need to make plans for a wonderful adventure!

:p

Yes, it was the Pharmacy license test. I can't even imagine the stress that caused her on BOTH days. It took the threat of an ADA lawsuit for the education of the testing agency and some university personnel as well to occur, but at least it now has occurred.

Thanks for the good wishes, we are looking forward to our first "warm" cruise (Alaska in September five years ago was amazing and beautiful, but warm is not one of the words I'd ever use to describe it :) )

• 2 weeks later...
I was quite well aware that it was a service dog cruise. I am also aware of the differences in what a pet is and a service dog and that service dogs are allowed to go anywhere they need when in service.

I was merely "thinking out loud" about how we dream of a cruise where we can take our pets. I was also stating that I thought it was quite special that there is a service dog cruise because, as I am sure you are well aware that a very special bond exists between a service dog and their owner that is very much like the bond between a pet and owner when the dog is not working but is at the same time a very different relationship due to the service aspect.

Ok, this was YEARS ago, but we were living in England on assignment and my Dad wanted to wrap it up in a big way so we sailed home on the QE2 - with our dog. He was not allowed in our cabin, they have kennels, but you are allowed to visit and spend time with him. It was not perfect, but in our case, a necessity to get him home with us!

I don't know what their policies are today! But this was a non-service dog.

Archived