S.S. Seabreeze ???

Hello Everyone

We went on the s.b. in oct 97 during the switch between Dolphin and Premeire. The cruise directors where brothers.Twins i think.

There names were Jeff and Jeff or possibly Dave. Does anyone remeber them or maybe know what happened to them?I would love to find them on a ship again if there still in the industry. After all these years they are the only ones i can remeber the names and faces ofout of all the cruise directors.

Thanks

Jeff

• 1 month later...

It did sink I remember reading about it, but no one was on board and or killed. She was a lovely older ship with a great itinerarary(sp.?). We sailed on her June of 1998 and had one of the large suites in the very front. Great old bathtub. We love old ships...also sailed on the Gruizia (a Rusian Ship) out of Tampa in May of 1991, she was the same age. Both ships are gone now. Don't know what happened to the crew. Perhaps when you go on another cruise you could ask some friendly staff members if there is any way they know of to track past crew members of ships. :)

It did sink I remember reading about it, but no one was on board and or killed.

Actually, there was a skeleton crew on board at the time but they were rescued.

also sailed on the Gruizia (a Rusian Ship) out of Tampa in May of 1991, she was the same age.

Actually GRUZIYA was much newer - SEABREEZE I was built as FEDERICO C. in 1957. GRUZIYA was built in 1975.

She was one of five ships built in Finland for the Soviet state shipping company, Morflot. They were BELORUSSIYA (1975), GRUZIYA (1975), AZERBAIHZAN (1975), KAZAKHSTAN (1976), and KARELIYA (1976).

These ships were designed to serve multiple purposes: as passenger/car ferries for domestic Soviet and international routes, as cruise ships for the Soviet and Western markets, and as troop ships that could also carry military vehicles on their car decks.

GRUZIYA was assigned by Morflot to their Odessa division, Black Sea Shipping Company (BLASCO). In 1984 cabins were installed on her car deck and she became a full-time cruise ship. In 1995 she was renamed ODESSA SKY, still under BLASCO ownership. Later that year she was arrested in Montreal after BLASCO went out of business. She was released in 1996 and sailed to Wilhelmshaven, Germany for a refit but was then arrested and laid-up once again.

Finally in 1998 she was sold to Dutch owners, Club Cruise, and renamed CLUB I. After some cruises for the Dutch market, she became VAN GOGH in 1999 and was chartered to the French tour operator Nouvelles Frontieres. In 2002 that charter ended and she is now chartered to the British tour operator Travelscope. As VAN GOGH she has become a rather popular budget ship in the UK.

You can see a very nice review of her as she is today with lots of photos here.

I saw her in 1996 in Montreal while she was arrested there and she looked absolutely terrible - huge sheets of paint had fallen off where the hull and superstructure were rusting. The last day I was in Montreal, I saw smoke coming from her funnel. Later I would learn that she was preparing to depart for Germany. At the time it looked to me as though she would never sail again (though she was then barely 20 years old, a fairly young ship) so it is nice to see her back and having a successful new career.

All of her BELORUSSIYA-class sisters also still exist, having found productive new lives after the fall of the Soviet Union and the financial hardships that came about in the aftermath.

Hi Jeff

Yes I remember the twins and those awful velvet jackets

I sailed the line 7 times was really fun and no "fluff" we had many great times and that disco way down below, there were 10 of us and the A/C went out ~~

all the port holes were opened ~~ that dosen't happen any more unless you are on a Windjammer

I can see the Captain now and the Head Purser was with us in Cozumel drinking at Carlos N' Charlies all family

thanks for the memories C-11

The twins were Jeff & Joe Fithian. Really nice guys, not good at delegating to the cruise staff though. I was one of the senior cruise staff members at the time. What memories! :) I don't know where they ended up. As I remember they were fired from Premier. It was kind of a crazy time & of course the cruise line didn't last long after the change over. :( The SeaBreeze was the place I was happiest, I miss it so much.

Archived