2 wheelchairs, first cruise, going on RCI

Kittyluver

My husband and I have signed up for the 5-night Bermuda cruise, Voyager of the Seas, Oct 06. He is in a manual wheelchair and I will either have my power chair or be renting a scooter. Any thoughts on which would be better for me? Does anyone have pictures of the HC accessible cabins? How have the experiences on this ship been? How is the ship's accessibility? How have the staff been? Things to know? Anything you could tell me or show me would be helpful. Have any questions? Feel free to ask. Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.

My husband and I have signed up for the 5-night Bermuda cruise, Voyager of the Seas, Oct 06. He is in a manual wheelchair and I will either have my power chair or be renting a scooter. Any thoughts on which would be better for me? Does anyone have pictures of the HC accessible cabins? How have the experiences on this ship been? How is the ship's accessibility? How have the staff been? Things to know? Anything you could tell me or show me would be helpful. Have any questions? Feel free to ask. Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.

My Service Dog and I (and my electric scooter) will be doing a transatlantic sailing on the RCCL Brilliance in April '06. If these are the same class of ship, or comparable, the photos I bring back might help you...In the meantime you might contact Daun at traveldepot.com for her thoughts...She just returned from an extended tour on RCCL and could answer your questions... The only items I could add to this would be that it is my impression that the on-board thick carpets give manual chair users a real workout and that a pushbutton-activated stateroom door makes scooter entry and exit much easier. The only cruise website that I've ever seen that bothered to show pictures of accessible staterooms was dcltribute.com and it's a Disney-oriented site...

Hi. If you can swing it both of you should use scooters as the carpets are murder on the arms if he is pushing his own chair. The Voyager is very accessible. They have automatic doors to the pool decks. All of the bars are accessible but you will have to do a little manuvering to get at some of the tables. Check your Dining Room table when you board and ask for one of the balconies. These are easier to get too IMO. Enjoy.

Archived