Gavelston questions

candaceandjason

My fiance' and I will be sailing the Conquest for our honeymoon on June 25, 2006. We booked while it was still sailing out of New Orleans, so now we have to fly to Houston from Jackson, MS. I was wondering if anybody had suggestions on flight times. We are looking at flying with Southwest. They have one flight leaving at 6:45 AM and arriving in Houston at 8:00 AM. Then there is another flight leaving at 11:45 and arriving at 1:00 PM. Would we have plenty of time to make it to the ship if we did the 11:45 flight? Are there any suggestions for transportation from the airport to the ship (besides a rental car)? Thank you so much for any help you can give us!

Honestly, while I think you would make it fine, I would still take the earlier flight. Summer is prime time for thunderstorms, and the later in the day it gets, the more likely thunderstorms will occur. If you take the earlier flight, you still have time to make it to Galveston if there are any delays, but if you take the later flight and there are delays you are in trouble. Hobby is 45 minutes to an hour away from the port so any long delay would put you in real trouble with the later flight.

Definitely book the earlier flight! You don't want to cut it short and be late boarding! I have sailed out of Galveston twice and took a shuttle both times. I don't think I would rent a car, then you have to pay for parking! My travel agent booked the shuttles.

while the safe bet would have to be the early flight, and I myself would be so excited i couldnt wait till the late anyway. you actually could get away with the later flight. people board the ship until much later than 1:00. whichever you decide, just make sure you have fun.

Enterprise Rent-a-Car rents one way rentals from Hobby Airport - drop off in Galveston and they shuttle the driver to the port. Then when you come back, they have a kiosk in the port to pick up return vehicle. Just an alternative to shuttle, particularly if you are coming to Galveston a day early and would like "wheels"

LL

Archived