Houston Question

Lisa&Neb

We will be leaving on the Dream on March 11 out of Houston, we are wondering if there is anyone from that area that can recommend a way to the port. We know that NCL offers transportation but we want to be at the ship well before they will get us there with their transportation. We have looked into cabs and they are going to run us about $80. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Here's your options in Houston:

1> Use the NCL bus service.

2> Take a taxi.

3> Hire a limo.

4> Rent a car.

While the City of Houston had bus services, the surburbs don't.

The port NCL uses is at Barbour's Cut, a good 20 miles easy of downtown Houston, and more than 10 miles outside the Houston city limits.

Contact Enterprise if you are interested in renting a car. We did it last May (on the Sea, which has been replaced by the Dream) and it worked great. We flew in the night before, with 4 of us in our family, and rented a mini-van for hold us and all the luggage :eek: . We drove to the pier the next morning, and had arranged to just drop off the rental vehicle at the pier for a slight additional charge. Enterprise had a reserved area within the parking lot to leave the car at. I think the rate was around $80, but if you only need a car it wouldn't be that much. You can also drop the car in their Seabrooke office and they will shuttle you back.

If you're interested in the car rental, someone posted an excellent set of driving instructions for me. Let me know if you are going this route, and I'll find the post for you.

If it is important for your Anniversary, take a cab to La Porte where terminal is near. Hotels nearby, LaQuinta Inn, Comfort Suites, both across from each other. Just about 3 miles (by cab) from hotels. Comfort cost about $70 nite, LaQuinta @$80. Breakfast included with either one.

Hope this Helps.

Magnolia Man

Cunard X 1

HAL X 1

RCCL X 4

Celebrity X 3

NCL X 5

Next Up:

Celeb Galaxy 3/ 06 Pan Canal 11 nites

NCL Crown l0/ 06 South America NYC via PanCanal BuenosAires 31 Nites

If you are looking to save money and don't mind driving yourself, check with rental car companies about a one-way fare. Even with a little extra for the one-way, you will save a bunch over the cost of a limo or cab. Enterprise is a good one, as Ute Fan said.

If you don't want to drive yourself, you are limited to NCL transportation, limo, or cab.

I guess this is really just an affirmation of previous posts...

Just back off the Dream 01/07 - we hired a limo. We were a group of 7 so this was a very cost effective way for us. For 2 you could hire a car from a limo company for very reasonable I would think. It was $100 for us with 7 people.

Go to the Houston International Airport Web site and find the transportation link, click on Limo's, follow the directions and you will get quotes in less than 24 hours.

Hope this helps!

Sue

Just got back from the Dream (1/14-1/21). We went with Dwayne at Houston Airport transportation 866-926-9300. We used his 10 person passenger van for $300 (divided the cost between us). You can contact him and find out what the cost for the two of you would be. I found Dwayne from a previous post on these boards (something along the lines of Hobby Transportation, but we did fly into Bush International). If you fly in and arrive before 1 p.m. you can use NCL for $25 per person, but see if the posting is still available and call around.

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...

Lisa&neb

We are also joining you on the 3/11 Dream and I am also checking into transportation from Intercontinental to the Pier. I want to price it out instead of booking with the cruise line. Will you let me know who you go with so I can see if it works for us too? I will be calling a couple of places tomorrow. If I find something, I will let you know as well.

See ya on the 11th!!

Claudia

Because of the distance between the pier and airport, I bought transfers from NCL. We flew in the night before and stayed at an airport hotel. In the morning, we had the hotel bus bring us to the airport to pick up an early transfer bus. I think a cab is a rip off, unless you have a larger group in which case you can hire a limo for the same price, as others have suggested. Even with NCL's transfer, we got to the pier and check in was very swift. I was surprised with the small pier area they have there. We didn't even have time to enjoy the goodies they had set out because we were right on the ship.

Most taxi and shuttle services I priced are around $80 one way. I got a quote from Wayne, who was referred on an earlier posting, and got a $75 price.

Does anyone out there still need transportation from Bush airport to the Houston pier and want to go with a van? There are three of us arriving at 12:15pm Sat 3/11 (wow- next week!!).

Archived