Galveston Port from Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)??

CruiznWeids

I have been lurking on these boards for quite some time and love all the cruise tips we pick up! But I now have a question that I haven't seen an answer for that I thought I'd run by all of you pro's! ;)

We are sailing Ecstasy on 4/8 out of Galveston. Our flight from Cleveland (think cold, gray, yuck!) arrives into Bush Intercontinental in Houston on 4/8 at noon, which our travel agent said was about 57 miles away. The Carnival transfers are $33 pp/one way (and it me, DH and two DS's ages 3 and 7 and now my in-laws, too!) so that seems very pricey. My travel agent also mentioned a taxi (we won't all be able to fit into one, unless there are van taxi's) or rental car.

Has anyone done any of these options? Any insight into a low cost way to get from IAH to the pier in Galveston? :confused:

Most of the options are going to be a little pricey I imagine. Some of the people traveling with us in December took a public shuttle from the Airport to Galveston but it took a long time and featured many stops. The price was about the same as Carnival but we were arriving a day earlier and so they couldn't take the Carnival shuttle.

A rental car might be the cheapest option if you can find one with a drop off near the pier or with a shuttle to the pier. Even with a "one way" surcharge it should be cheaper than a $140.00. Just be sure to get a car large enough for your luggage.

Enterprise Rent-a-Car (1-800-RENTACAR) rents from the airport to the port with no surcharge for one way. We paid about $70 for a mini-van overnight. They also rent one way back to the airport, but the cost is higher due to a hefty port access fee they have to pay to have a kiosk at the terminal. Return fee was about $120 for a mini-van.

Just another option.

LL

Will be going on March 18th and have booked 2 X 1 way rentals of a standard size car. As the previous poster said, from IAH to pier is a mere $35 whereas from pier to IAH is nearly 3 times as expensive. Still, a heck of a lot better than shuttle or limousine services, especially if you stay overnight before or after sailing. You get 24 hours usage of the vehicle. They mentioned also that the difference is due in part because the supply of vehicles is less than at the airport. So if more people are renting one way from the airport to the pier, perhaps it will help lower the price on the return trip.

One question I have for those who are familar with the greater Houston area is what is the best route to get to/from IAH to/from Galveston ? Should I take the beltway or cut accross Houston ?

Thanks.

Archived