Priceline and Catgegories

wyeanni

After reading bidding for Travel we are a little confused as to which category to bid on.

DH saw the Carrib. Hilton go for both "3 Stars" and "Resort" in San Juan. Are the the "3 Star" hotels fairly nice. We need 3 rooms for 3 nights, and will have kids with us. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Anni In Md.

JimP

I used Priceline around mid march and got the Wyndham Old San Juan 2 nights post cruise for $60 (Sunday,Monday 10-10,11).

Im staying at the Raddison Ambassador, Friday-$75(10-1), then renting a car and driving to the Hyatt Dorado Saturday-$75(10-2) pre-cruise.

I would suggest maybe adding $5 to each bid. Good Luck!!

What ship will you be sailing?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

We are on the Golden 7-11 and are staying in San Juan for three nights(and 3 rooms) prior to the cruise. DH kept trying priceline and we got the Caribe Hilton for $75 for the 8-11 of July.

Anni in Md.

Song of Norway- Carrib.

Daphne- Alaska

Stella Solaris - Med.

Wind Song - Tahiti

Stella Solaris - Amazon

Renaissance - Med

Grand Princess - Carrib.

Sun Princess - Canal

Royal Princess -

Transatlantic

Transatlantic /Europe

Norway - Carrib.

Golden Princess - Carrib.

Got the Radisson for $75 plus tax (nearly $100 total) for the nights of Oct 1&2. Not necessarily my first choice. One of the dangers of using Priceline. Maybe we'll be surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

wyeanni,

You got the Caribe Hilton on Priceline? Do you know what classification you used to get that hotel? I've never used one of those sites and I really want to get the Caribe Hilton.

Thanks

Please log in on the website http://www.biddingfortravel.com

Read the FAQ first and then look for thesection for Puerto Rico hotels. Give it some time and dont forget while you are reading the site it will always be a gamble. I investedafew hours reading but it surely payed off. I saved dollarsand got some nice hotels as a bonus.

Good luck and happy bidding......

Cheers,

Marco

I am also new to this bidding system. Want to give it a try for room in San Juan area 1 day pre and 2 day post cruise for next February. Is this too early to bid? Do people usually wait until closer to travel time?

You will get varied responses to this, but as soon as I have firm dates I start bidding. Like someone mentioned Biddingfortravel is a great research tool. Since you are so far out low bid a few times a month.Start at around $75-85 if you are bidding 3* or resort. If you dont get a bite by October I would increase the bid. If you keep checking Biddingfortravel eventually you will see someone with an accepted bid for your dates.

You might want to book a room at a hotel that you can cancel without penalty as a backup.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
With bidding on priceline for San Juan what category would people suggest 3* or resort?
Here is a website that lists hotels that frequently come up with priceline wins in San Juan.

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm158.showMessage?topicID=44.topic

I bid 3* and got some great deals on hotels.

What dates are you looking at?

Here is a website that lists hotels that frequently come up with priceline wins in San Juan.

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm158.showMessage?topicID=44.topic

I bid 3* and got some great deals on hotels.

What dates are you looking at?

We are going down on Sept. 25. I use that site for research all the time and is very helpfull. It almost sounds like you have the same chance at getting the same quality in a 3* or a resort. I guess the difference would be that you don't have to pay a resort tax.

All the other times I've used priceline there has been a noticable difference in the different levels but from the reviews in San Juan this doesn't seem to be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the priceline thing and I also got the radisson bidding the 3 star level for 75$ 2 night stay for oct 22 and 23. The third time was the charm, over the last two weeks my bid of 75$ had been rejected twice then blamm accepted this try. Yippee!! now all my trip logistics are set and I can relax and enjoy the anticapation of my holiday.

Does anyone know if you have better luck with Priceline as it gets closer to your dates? We need a room for Jan and none of our bids have been accepted. Also, could the prices be that much higher in Jan than in the next few months?

This is our first time using Priceline so just thought I would ask.

I believe that January is considered part of "High Season." Our winter is prime time for San Juan... You may have trouble getting the bids accepted that alot of folks did for Hurricane season, but you never know. I'm travelling in October along with alot of others and no storm can ruin my trip! Keep trying and hopefully, you'll get lucky :)

Thanks, we will keep trying. Just wondering if we need a backup plan. Any suggestions?
Do you have any rewards points with any of your credit cards or previous hotel visits?? That's how we're staying at the Ritz in San Juan for free for 2 nights. That hotel runs almost $500 per night normally- of course we can't afford to eat or drink there though :)

The best prices I've seen on the discount sites has been about $129- $149 for a 3*... Try bidding on Skyauction.com though. I've seen the Wyndham on there on most occasions I've visited, but not sure what the winning bids were. I think they have a 2 night minimum which you may have in your plans already. Good Luck!

Archived