Will i be disappointed if we dont take a snorkel tour?

wendya2J

hi,

do you think we will be happy snorkeling from shore, or had we better take a boat. We are in port from 12-7pm, so not sure of what will be available??? any ideas?

Wendy

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;11;27;4;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img] until we sail the Grand!!!

Elation - 12/28/03
Celebration - 12/21/02

Wendy,

With your short time frame, you will not have much time to drive around to find the best off-beach snorkeling spots. THere is one area very near the pier that you could try, but I think most of the good snorkeling is too far offshore to access from the beach.

In my opinion, you should book the stingray trip because it is the one thing not to be missed in GC..you can't reach stingray sandbar from the beach...

Whatever you decide, happy sailing!

Big Red Boat 6/1989
RCCL Song of America 2/1991
Regent Rainbow 1/1992
NCL Seaward 5/1993
Carnival Fantasy 7/1993
Carnival Ecstasy 6/1994
RCCL Nordic Empress 4/1995, 7/1996, 8/1997
NCL Leeward 4/1997
RCCL Sovereign 5/1998
RCCL Nordic Empress 8/2000
RCCL Majesty 6/2003
Carnival Sensation 7/03
Glory 7/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
`Triumph 5/29

I think as long as you decide to get in the water and do some snorkeling somewhere at Grand Cayman, you'll be happy. Whatever you do, get in the water!

[b]"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise." [/b]
-- [i]Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'[/i]

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest a stingray tour with nativeway watersports. You won't be disappointed. Twice before when we stopped at Grand Cayman we snorkeled at Eden Rock which was good but cannot compare to those stingrays and the other snorkeling stop that Nativeway took us to. Enjoy. Wish we had more time in Grand Cayman last week.

You can snorkel from shore right next to where the tender drops you off. It is called Eden Rock. I understand it is a very good spot to see aquatic life. Not sure about the coral formations

I have spent a week in the Caymans and we also were there last year for a day on a cruise and found a cozy little place a few miles away that gets very little attention. If you ask a taxi driver to take you to Smith Cove, its just a few miles south of the dock and the snorkelling is very good, excellent for beginners and not very crowded. Last year we got through the crowds of 2 cruise ships, got a taxi, and found ourselves alone at Smith Cove beach, except for a wedding party which stopped by to take pictures. The Cove is very cozy and access is easy..We asked the taxi driver to pick us up 2 hours later and he did...Awesome!! If you have time, you can get the snorkelling done near the port, where there alot more parrot fish but not as many smaller varieties you can see at Smith Cove. Have Fun...Rick

Archived