Explorer of the Seas fitness facility

I have not been on the Explorer but if it is like any of the other ships, you won't be disappointed. Facilities open up at 6:00 a.m. and I usually arrive by 5:45 a.m. (the cleaning person will let you in early) Crowded times are 6:45 a.m. thru 10:00 on port days and 7:00 a.m. thru 2:30 p.m. on sea days.

I am an avid treadmill walker (5 miles per day at 5 mph). Most treads & ellipticals have a 30 minute time limit indicated by a placard hanging on the wall in front of the machine. There are several machines with a 60 minute time limit so look carefully before you start your routine.

Equipment is modern (usually LifeFitness) and kept clean.

My hubby and I were on the Explorer last September sailing the Western Caribbean. We are avid exercisers and we found the fitness facility to be quite busy, unlike the Navigator (Eastern Caribbean) when we cruised the year before. We were in the facilities at various times of the day and found the users steadily flowing in and out. The facilities in the two ships were very similar in size and equipment. The only thing we could figure is that the Western Caribbean route attracted younger passengers.

• 6 months later...

When I was on Explorer, I visited the gym about 5 times that week. Some were busier than others, however there was always a machine available every time. The classes were excellent too, I was pleasantly surprised! Their fitness facility as a whole was great.

• 2 months later...

We just got of the explorer last sunday. The gym was great- large, the weight s area was always busy. Classes were great. Jogging track sucks as it runs through the smoking deck outside.

If you don't like smoke, don't take this cruise ship. It was everywhere. We will not go again.

Runrgirl, wow that sucks that you encountered so much smoke! I *loathe* smoke, yet while we were on Explorer we didn't have a problem. We're going back on again in Oct, and my VERY asthmatic mother will be with us, so we'll have to take good care.

Did you note about the smoke on your comment cards to RC??

• 2 months later...
We just got of the explorer last sunday. The gym was great- large, the weight s area was always busy. Classes were great. Jogging track sucks as it runs through the smoking deck outside.

If you don't like smoke, don't take this cruise ship. It was everywhere. We will not go again.

Dont know what you are talking about. I dont smoke but the smokers are only in the area that they are allowed. If it bothers you move

Archived