Vigo--Santiago de Compostela

Has anyone done the tour to Santiago de Compostela on their own,if so did you just get in a taxi at the port or did you pre-book a car ? I have tried very hard to find some organised tour other than the one from the ship,but I cannot find any info anywhere regarding booking a taxi or private car.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I contacted this company and they do do tours and responded quickly. I found their prices high so we didn't go with them. http://www.turismosecchi.com/

So far I have booked an Avis rental car out of the train station and mapped the trip using Mapquest. The trip is about 1 hour and about 55 miles. I beleiev that the train station is a short taxi cab ride from the dock.

I have been looking and truying to answer this question myself. I don't know if what I have booked is great but I thought it would be ab adventure.

Hope this helps.

So far I have booked an Avis rental car out of the train station and mapped the trip using Mapquest. The trip is about 1 hour and about 55 miles. I beleiev that the train station is a short taxi cab ride from the dock.
I went to Santiago de Compostela from La Coruna, which is in the other direction from Santiago but roughly the same distance (about 10 miles less). Renting a car independently was much more flexible than taking a tour. It was a great day.

I looked into doing it by train, but decided to be cautious and do the ship's tour. Ours is complicated by the fact that the ship arrives in Vigo in the morning, drops passengers off, and picks them up in late afternoon in La Coruna. I decided not to chance this, too complicated.

• 11 months later...

has anyone joined a walking tour of old town once they have gotten to Santiago de Compostela? We have rented a car because the train and bus scedule just doesn't fit in with the ships arrival and departure time. We dock in Vigo at 10 am and then sailaway at 5pm. So, I assume if we pick up the car at 10, we can be in santiago by 11 am..the latest noon. I think it takes under an hour. I imagine we can see the Cthedral and the university on our own, but would love a walking tour to get more background information. The only ones I have found so far are given in Spanish or the English version is offered at 6pm. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Since we are four people, we might hire a private guide...IF I could find one!

Karen

Has anyone done the tour to Santiago de Compostela on their own,if so did you just get in a taxi at the port or did you pre-book a car ? I have tried very hard to find some organised tour other than the one from the ship,but I cannot find any info anywhere regarding booking a taxi or private car.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In 2004, we pre-booked with portsidetours http://www.portsidetours.com/excursion.php

for 4 of us to take a hired car service (van) there and back. We felt it worked out well.

We are on the Navigator of the Seas on June 16 and I got the name of a tour group from Cruise Critic. The website is http://www.autosgonzalez.es and they've been wonderful about responding, etc. We've set up a tour for the day with them. The e-mail is autocares@autosgonzalez.com. Check with them and see what you think. I can't critique them yet except to say that Basilio has responded promptly to all of my questions.

• 1 month later...

Our group of 8 took this tour (Vigo to Santiago) on June 28. It was perfect! A minibus, driver and guide Maria were at the port to meet us right on time. Maria spoke excellent English and told us all about the area on the bus ride (which took about an hour). When we arrived at Santiago she gave us a wonderful walking tour of the area and then took us to a local Tapas place for lunch. We had a few minutes for shopping after lunch and then went back to the ship. It was a perfect day and much better than a ship tour with 50+ people. I can highly recommend this company for a great tour.

Archived