Hoonah, Alaska - Icy Strait Point - Alaska's New Destination

LoneStar72

Waited awhile for this thread to be established, didn't see it, so started it myself.

I don't have the words to thank Chookenshaa and Koo Hook for our wonderful visit to ISP last week! But I do have pictures:

At http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/image.php?id=37520 , Chookenshaa is the one in the middle (for size comparisons, I'm 6'2", my wife is 5'11".)

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/image.php?id=37521 shows Koo Hook (sorry about the blink!)

Finally, http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/image.php?id=37522 is an example of the outstanding whale-watching tour, greatly enhanced by our on-board naturalist, none other than Koo Hook!

John

Can you tell me how you booked a whale watching toour with Koo Hook?
Got lucky! Booked the afternoon whale-watching tour through Celebrity, and when the naturalist introduced himself, in Tlinget, of course, I heard the words "Koo Hook". So I whipped out my Cruise Critic nametag and got acquanted in person. When he finds this thread and starts posting again, he'll have to let you know if he's going to be a regular guide for that tour, or whether he was just filling in that day. At any rate, I consider myself very lucky to have had him as the guide on our tour, not because I felt I knew him from this board, but because he is extremely knowledgable, friendly, and enthusiastic.

Here's a picture of the tour boat at the ISP pier:

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/image.php?id=37542

John

John:

Thanks for the Icy Strait report and pictures. We've also booked the whale watching trip and are looking forward to it. Do you know how far out the ship goes on the tour?

It was the infamous "three-hour tour" (cue the theme song for "Gilligan's Island" :D ) We went about an hour out of ISP (15 miles) to a favorite spot of Koo Hook's -- I won't give the name, because he's worried that if everyone finds out about it, that it will get crowded and the whales will go somewhere else ;) . So we spent about an hour in transit, at least an hour pretty much stationary in the middle of probably 30 humpbacks feeding, and an hour in transit back to ISP -- and we saw several more whales in transit (had to use binoculars on those).
Also, what was the weather like?
Well, we managed to hit a "heat wave" in southeast alaska last week. It got up into the 80's in Ketchikan! At ISP, I was very comfortable in the short-sleeved shirt you see me wearing in the pic with Chookenshaa. Most folks on the tour, however, needed coats due to the wind when we were moving (especially the women.) The boat has a large, two-level/three-area heated interior with great viewing windows, restrooms, and a galley (it's a 100-foot-long ship.) They serve complimentary hot beverages and a snack. There is lots of room on the upper deck on each side of the main cabin, and a large aft deck (but not a bow deck.)

BTW, the aprons that my wife and I have on in the pic were included souveniers of the ISP Cannery tour that morning. They also give you a can of salmon (that's what's in the pocket of my apron in the pic -- for those who think I'm a "dipper" :p .)

John

WOW, no matter how many times I see whales I am still in awe of them. Great pics of the yaay (whale). I do look kind of short between you tall ones..Got your info but after I visited with you, one of the Elders that was there went out in the woods he gathered up some herbs. He told me to put a poultice of the crushed herbs on every night for four nights... What an unbelievable fast acting cure it was. I have had to have no surgery, barely any cell damage, not like you usually see anyways. I am totally sold, I will keep that info you gave me in mind though, as the herb cure only works with fresh herbs not dried.

Capt. Chuck, with the weather being so abnormally hot, we have had record setting heat for over 7 days now, viewing the bears is kind of hit and miss, they are usually out early in the am to avoid the worse heat in the afternoon. If you are wanting to see bears, I would suggest an a.m. tour.

Hello. I absolutely loved Hoonah. It was my favorite port of all of them. However, I paid a lot of money to view bears and saw nothing. I know it's a dicey thing with wildlife but I would not recommend going on this trip until the salmon are running on the stream that they take you to. I believe this starts in July. It was a lovely walk through the forest, but not worth the money at this time of year. I feel even if I saw just one bear, it still isn't worth the big price tag. What I loved about Honnah was the realness of the people that lived there and the tranquil feel of the land. After my bear trip, I just walked around meeting one friendly face after another. I watched dozens of eagles fishing at low tide, ate fish and chips at Mary's Inn and put my feet in the icy waters on the beach. I think that's what this port is all about. I love how they set up the pier, it was done in very good taste. It was the only port that I actually enjoyed shopping at. I was sad when we pulled out of the port. I felt like my trip was over then and that all the good stuff was behind me.

Zoocruiser, sorry that you were unable to see any bears on your tour, that is a real disappointment. Sure do wish that we could train them to appear on demand for all of you that come to visit us. We have had one out prowling around on our street for the past three nights now, sockeye are running now and a lot of us have our smokehouses going..Old Mr. Brownie thinks that we should donate to his cause...LOL

John: did you talk to anyone who went on the bear watching tour?
Nope -- but Chookenshaa has given you a lot better, up-to-date info on bears.
One more question about the "3 hour cruise." Ginger or Mary Ann?
Well, since I've been married to a "Mary Ann" for almost 30 years now... ;)

John

The whale watch tour today saw about thirty whales in one group playing and feeding, so it's a pretty safe bet that you will get to see some here on the tour. Lonestar sure did get some wonderful pictures of them up close and personal.

ALso to answer someone's question, KooHook is doing most of the tours on the WHale Watch.

And I got to meet Ann and her husband who have been posting frequently on the CC board. I think they enjoyed themselves immensely, but I am sure that when they get home that she will have to tell us in person.

• 1 month later...

Lonestar - I can certainly live with the blink. The pictures are great. It'd be nice to see you visit my new thread. Things are going great here, and the weather couldn't get any better. The temperatures are in the 80's today, and not a single person is here on site but me. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Have a good one!

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread and the one by Koo Hook! So much wonderful information :D

We are going to be on the Infinity arriving in ISP on June 13th and our schedule still says we will be there from 8am till 4pm, unlike the Summit schedule which arrives earlier and departs earlier. I am assuming that the Celebrity whale watching tours that were offered this year will be the same again for 2005. I am assuming also that Koo Hook will still be a naturalist on board? I would love to meet him after reading about your people and your land. This will be our 5th Alaska cruise and ISP will be the highlight of this trip!

So glad to see that you are coming back to our beautiful country again. Your many visits show that our pristine land has gotten under your skin. Of course I am biased but I cannot simply imagine anyone not enjoying themselves on our island. Look forward to seeing you, I am so excited to get started on our new year with our guests.

Archived