Portobelo & Gatun Locks Shore Excursion

2CrusinOldies

Last January my husband and I took the "Portobelo & Gatun Locks" tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. We took it because you can't get a locks tour without combining it with something else. As it turns out, I liked the fort ruins at Portobelo better than other ruins we have visited. Read about the history of the ruins before you go; I had not, but did so immediately after I got home. Portobelo is an interesting site although the residents are very poor and the town is dirty. I took some great pictures there, entering some of them in the local newspaper photo contest. This was our second trip through the canal and Gatun Locks is one of the most fascinating places I have ever been, including all the tourist attractions in Europe. We were on Princess and RCCL, but the ships use many of the same tour companies.

On our first trip we took a river trip into the jungle and saw howler monkeys, sloths, and some native birds with the locks tour included. If we go a third time, I want to go the Cuna Indian village. When you return to the ship, plan to spend a little time in the tourist center, which you enter to board the ship. The dancers in wonderful costumes are interesting to watch, and the shopping includes tables of carvings, baskets, etc. sold by the Indians who wear no clothes but are heavily tattoed. "Mola" is a specialty embroidery craft that women "quilt" using an unusual technique. I bought a small Mola to frame, although they have totes, handbags, and clothes made using Mola.

Have a great cruise; we will be leaving in two weeks for a ten day in the southern Carribean.

Last January my husband and I took the "Portobelo & Gatun Locks" tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. We took it because you can't get a locks tour without combining it with something else. As it turns out, I liked the fort ruins at Portobelo better than other ruins we have visited. Read about the history of the ruins before you go; I had not, but did so immediately after I got home. Portobelo is an interesting site although the residents are very poor and the town is dirty. I took some great pictures there, entering some of them in the local newspaper photo contest. This was our second trip through the canal and Gatun Locks is one of the most fascinating places I have ever been, including all the tourist attractions in Europe. We were on Princess and RCCL, but the ships use many of the same tour companies.

On our first trip we took a river trip into the jungle and saw howler monkeys, sloths, and some native birds with the locks tour included. If we go a third time, I want to go the Cuna Indian village. When you return to the ship, plan to spend a little time in the tourist center, which you enter to board the ship. The dancers in wonderful costumes are interesting to watch, and the shopping includes tables of carvings, baskets, etc. sold by the Indians who wear no clothes but are heavily tattoed. "Mola" is a specialty embroidery craft that women "quilt" using an unusual technique. I bought a small Mola to frame, although they have totes, handbags, and clothes made using Mola.

Have a great cruise; we will be leaving in two weeks for a ten day in the southern Carribean.

Thanks so much for the information. We are looking forward to the tour. :) Have a great time on your Southern Caribbean cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and did this tour. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guide was wonderful!!!!! Some of the others in our group said they would have preferred to spend more time at the locks, but it was just enough for me. I, too, thoroughly enjoyed Portobelo.

We just got back and did this tour. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guide was wonderful!!!!! Some of the others in our group said they would have preferred to spend more time at the locks, but it was just enough for me. I, too, thoroughly enjoyed Portobelo.

Thanks so much for the information. Did you have time for some shopping before having to be back on the ship?

Yes, we did do some shopping at the mall there by the pier. The only thing we were really looking for was shot glasses for my son's collection, a hat for my husband and some coffee. We found the hat and shot glasses at one place, and our guide suggested we go the supermarket there (Super 99, I think???) for our coffee and if we needed to restock on sodas, water, etc. Found coffee there for less than $3 a pound and it's better than what I bought in Costa Rica! Wish I had bought more. Cafe Palo Alto in an orange bag.

Yes, we did do some shopping at the mall there by the pier. The only thing we were really looking for was shot glasses for my son's collection, a hat for my husband and some coffee. We found the hat and shot glasses at one place, and our guide suggested we go the supermarket there (Super 99, I think???) for our coffee and if we needed to restock on sodas, water, etc. Found coffee there for less than $3 a pound and it's better than what I bought in Costa Rica! Wish I had bought more. Cafe Palo Alto in an orange bag.

Thanks...we are looking forward to it. DH has to buy coffee and will be buying the kind you sugessted. I guess we should make sure we buy more than one bag, huh? :D If you lived close to us we could bring you back some more also. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks...we are looking forward to it. DH has to buy coffee and will be buying the kind you sugessted. I guess we should make sure we buy more than one bag, huh? :D If you lived close to us we could bring you back some more also. LOL!

6 more days to go~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:eek:

Archived