Additional daily fee?

pvan

Could anyone tell me if there is an additional per day fee on SD? I am trying to decide between Windstar and SD for an Istanbul to Athens cruise in spring 2008. I know that Windstar has just instituted a per day fee, I believe it is $11.00/pp.

While Windstar's schedule and pricing for spring/summer 2008 is not yet out, I am using their 2007 pricing to compare the costs of the two lines on this itinerary to see if in the end there is actually much difference.

We have sailed on Windstar and enjoyed it but are always up for something different. SD sounds like a dream...

Thanks in advance.

Tricia

There is no additional daily fee on SD; however there is a charge that they call: Government, Port, Document Issuance, Fuel Surcharge, Handling & Service fees which is in addition to the cruise fare. Hope that helps you decide.

Well I am itching to pull the trigger on an Istanbul-Athens cruise for June 2008. Looking at booking a deck 3 stateroom. I am assuming deck 2 may have a bit more activity as it looks like kitchen and crew quarters may be there as well. Or is that not an issue?

On Windstar it was best to book a mid ship room. Does this hold true for SD?

Have read the convertible rooms have a few issues, true?

Is it best to put down a deposit and hold your preferred stateroom or try your luck and hope for an upgrade? I am afraid my personality does not like uncertainty so not sure if trying my luck would work well for me.

Have read it is best to book with SD instead of a TA. Why is that, if true? Don't most TA's have the ability to give you a shipboard credit? That is always helpful when the final bill arrives.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer. This board has been a terrific read.

Tricia

I am booked on a Sea Dream Cruise leaving on Jan 28. I booked it myself through the Sea Dream website last July. I did not have to buy insurance until I made the final payment. I thought their insurance was a little pricey, plus it didn't include insuring the air part or any hotels up front or afterwards. So I called my AAA travel agent and got the whole trip insured for less than their insurance for cruise part only. We thought the insurance was very similar. In addition, AAA had just become a travel partner with Sea Dream. So I transferred my booking to my AAA Agent and got a $100 on board credit just by switching to the travel Agent.

Archived