Advice On Driving Route Around Island

nononsense42

Not having seen the original question, was this what you were looking for?

My husband and I have done this route quite a few times and tried to write up something the best I could from memory using the satellite map as a guide.

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/googlemap/

Beginning from Oranjestad head north (approx. where Knife/spoon are located on the map). Take the coastal road past all of the resorts, beginning with the Tamarijn. Turn right at Brickell Bay Hotel in Palm Beach to get back out onto the main highway which will then take you along the coastline to the Lighthouse (just follow the signs for the lighthouse).

From the Lighthouse, click on the "plus sign" to Zoom in on the map and you will see the well worn dirt trail which you can follow along the coastline to get you to the former Natural Bridge and Alto Vista Chapel.

NOTE: Heading southeast on the map, you will see the next sight is the Natural Pool. You cannot access it from the Natural Pool. That is unless you are on horseback. Otherwise you can get there by 4 x 4 coming from the inland rout. I would not advise going to the Natural Pool on your first trip to the island, there are other more notable sights to see.

Follow the path back north along the coastline the same way you came from. Unfortunately to get to the southern end of the island, the easiest and most practical access because of the National Park is to follow the main road 1A (southbound)/1B (northbound). You will follow this road back through Oranjestad with the next major sight, being Queen Reina Beatrix International Airport.

Continue heading south past the Desalination Plant using the same roadway. Once you get to the southern end of the island you will see the oil refinery. For a short version of a trip around the island skipping the rest of Arikok National Park, you can wind your way down from the highway through downtown San Nicolas to Rodgers Beach and Baby Beach. Baby beach is a popular destination for locals and visitors alike for swimming and snorkeling. Rodgers Beach, although closest to the refinery, is very picturesque. Just try to look south and not north to keep the Refinery out of eye sight.

From Baby Beach, to continue the tour, once back upon the main road you can make your way east towards the dirt path which will take you on a circuit around the southeastern coast of Aruba. This is the windward side of the island and swimming on this side is extremely treacherous and discouraged due to the winds and currents.

The first small beach along this route is Bachelors Beach and the second expansive one is Boca Grandi. Continuing along the coastline you will encounter Fontein, which at one time was open to the public, although I am not so sure it still is. This is the only spot on Aruba which provided spring water.

Next, heading northward on the map you will see massive sand dunes. These are known as the White Sand dunes. The beach here is called Boca Prins. It is however mislabeled on the map as "Dos Playa". Zooming in on the map you will see one building in the "middle of no where" just to the south of Boca Prins. This is a small bar where one can stop for refreshment.

To get to the last stop on this tour, from Boca Prins you need to follow the path inland a bit to get around the sand dunes which as part of Arikok National Park are protected. Once past the dunes, continue to follow the path northward along the coast. The final stop is Dos Playa. If anything it is a great photo opportunity and one of my favorite natural treasures on the island. In order to get to the second beach one would need to hike across that portion of the park. I have never done it myself, but have always suggested this is the ultimate spot for a romance, a picnic and sunbathing aunaturelle. Just remember to glob on the sunscreen! There is parking at both Boca Prins and Dos Playa.

In order to get back to Oranjestad you again must retrace the same path from which you came. While driving through Arikok National Park be on the look out for goats and wild donkeys.

Once back upon the main road, if you wish to make a short detour, you will see a sign for Lourdes Grotto. This is a Roman Catholic shrine built into the side of a small cliff in 1958.

Hi, thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate the time you took to put it together. They deleted 2 of my posts and unfortunately the one where I asked about a driving route in Aruba. I'm glad I had it in my subject line!

We are buried in snow, can't wait to get to Aruba!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Old posts-- i know ==Im sorry:confused:

Honey tells me that in Aruba you drive on the "other" side of the road--is this true?

No...same as the U.S., Arubans drive on the right and no special license is required. ;) :)

Archived