Just back...LOVED it!

Maci

Well after much worry over what to do in Jamaica or whether to even get off the ship, becuase of all I had heard about Jamaica......we LOVED it!

We did the Mayfield falls/ dr cave beach trip with A-Z. There was a little bit of confusion when we first got off the ship. Our driver was not the one that we were told we would get....which had me nervous! We had Paul instead. There was also supposed to be another group of people with us, and we waited about 30 minutes and they never showed. We were getting frustrated with the waiting and were about to just forget it, but then Paul said "we gotta go".

So we were off for the hour or so ride to the falls. Paul told us all about the island, and the plants etc. It was very interesting.

When we got up into the Mts., it was beautiful! So lush and green, it did remind me a little of Hawaii! It was so interesting to see how the people live off the land, with no running water etc.

We made it to the falls, and they were beautiful! I was not overly impressed with our falls guide. I felt like he was rushing us along. I think he was not thrilled to only get a party of 2! But I could be wrong. We had a good time none the less.

After the falls Paul to us to lunch at the jerk chicken place, and then dropped us at Dr Caves beach for a couple of hours. He was right there waiting when we came out from the beach, and dropped us back at the port.

As far as the people trying to sell you items,yes they did, but you know what they do that in Mexico too!

We were not offered drugs, but we did not go into any shopping areas per se, just a little time on the street in front of Dr Cave's.

Anyway, I just wanted people to hear something positive. I am so glad we went!

Well after much worry over what to do in Jamaica or whether to even get off the ship, becuase of all I had heard about Jamaica......we LOVED it!

We did the Mayfield falls/ dr cave beach trip with A-Z. There was a little bit of confusion when we first got off the ship. Our driver was not the one that we were told we would get....which had me nervous! We had Paul instead. There was also supposed to be another group of people with us, and we waited about 30 minutes and they never showed. We were getting frustrated with the waiting and were about to just forget it, but then Paul said "we gotta go".

So we were off for the hour or so ride to the falls. Paul told us all about the island, and the plants etc. It was very interesting.

When we got up into the Mts., it was beautiful! So lush and green, it did remind me a little of Hawaii! It was so interesting to see how the people live off the land, with no running water etc.

We made it to the falls, and they were beautiful! I was not overly impressed with our falls guide. I felt like he was rushing us along. I think he was not thrilled to only get a party of 2! But I could be wrong. We had a good time none the less.

After the falls Paul to us to lunch at the jerk chicken place, and then dropped us at Dr Caves beach for a couple of hours. He was right there waiting when we came out from the beach, and dropped us back at the port.

As far as the people trying to sell you items,yes they did, but you know what they do that in Mexico too!

We were not offered drugs, but we did not go into any shopping areas per se, just a little time on the street in front of Dr Cave's.

So glad to hear you had a great time! Thanks for posting your report. We have booked this same excursion with Trevor Hudlin and we can't wait! :D

We were in Ocho Rios on 6/27 and had a great time with our excursions booked through the ship (RCI, Freedom of the Seas). Some of us went on the zipline canopy tour, some of us went on the river tubing trip. Then we shopped for awhile at Island Village, very close to the pier. We all felt safe the entire time.

I was very worried after the cruise passengers got robbed at gunpoint just two weeks before our cruise. There is no doubt that they had a very real, raw trauamtic experience. But we went forward with our cruise excursion plans through the ship and it was ok. I hope that the Carnival tour incident was an isolated event, although after reading one passenger's account on another website I realize that they had been assured that this excursion they went on was safe....

"After the falls Paul to us to lunch at the jerk chicken place, and then dropped us at Dr Caves beach for a couple of hours. He was right there waiting when we came out from the beach, and dropped us back at the port."

Maci-

I have heard some questionable things about Dr. Caves beach. How was your experience with the beach itself. Was it clean? Were there a lot of people "hassling" you? Thanks for the positive review of Jamaica!

Dr Cave's was very clean, no one hassled us at all. The guy set up our umbrella for us, and that was it! There was a lady that asked if I wanted my hair braided, but I said no thanks, and that was it. She did not pester at all.

There was a little restaraunt that looked very fun, and clean, but we did not eat there.

There was a pier that they were doing glass bottom boat tours and jet ski rentals off of.

We did swim out and try out the water tramps...they were fun! :)

Glad to hear you had a great time! I'm sure hundreds more have as well since the incident widely reported on these boards. I know we had a great time (end of June) during our Ocho Rios stop.

We've done 9 land trips to JA over the past 8 years and have enjoyed every one.

Maci, glad you had a great time. Thanks for posting.

I am so relieved with each addtional good report back after all the bad ones.

I love Jamaica and am so happy when others get to experience the good side. It is such a wonderful island with (mostly) good natured people.

About how long of cab ride was it back to the ship from Dr Cave? What did it cost you to get in-was it $5? Was there any kind of wait or hassle when you first got there to get in?

Was the beach nice and sandy and the water nice and clear? How much did the bar staff come by to try to get you to buy drinks? We are planning to go there in April when we are on our cruise, so any additional info you can provide would be great.

What kind of loungers did they have? Were they in good shape and comfy?

Glad you had fun. Thanks

Hi Karen

We did not take a cab, as we had a driver. But the ride was 15-20 minutes. We got there later in the afternoon, so there was no wait or hassle at all. We just went to the front desk area and paid the fee, and walked in they waved to a guy who set up our umbrella. We did not get lounge chairs as we spent most of our time in the water. But they looked in good condition.

We never got asked if we wanted a drink, however we were in the water ALOT! I did see waiters going around taking orders though.

The water was very clear, and nice sandy beach. The whole resort was very clean.

You will love it!

Hi Karen

We did not take a cab, as we had a driver. But the ride was 15-20 minutes. We got there later in the afternoon, so there was no wait or hassle at all. We just went to the front desk area and paid the fee, and walked in they waved to a guy who set up our umbrella. We did not get lounge chairs as we spent most of our time in the water. But they looked in good condition.

We never got asked if we wanted a drink, however we were in the water ALOT! I did see waiters going around taking orders though.

The water was very clear, and nice sandy beach. The whole resort was very clean.

You will love it!

Maci - thanks for the info. This sounds good for us. I am not a Jamaica fan at all, and thought about just staying on the ship, but this I think will be a good way for us to get off the ship and enjoy ourselves. Thanks again.

When you go to the front desk to pay, is there where you walk out to the beach also? Just wanting to know if the group of us needs to go to the front desk to pay or if just one of us can do that while the rest head out to pick our spot on the beach.

One more question - did you notice if there was any snorkeling there? Don't want to lug our snorkel gear if there is no where to snorkel.

Thank you.

I've vacationed MANY times in Jamaica and never had any problems. I do recall that on my first visit a Rastaman tried to sell me some Ganja within earshot of a customs agent! That was the extent of the difficulties I've had.

I love the Jamaican people. Seeing the young Jamaican kids, decked out in their school uniforms, with their clean, smiling faces enjoying interacting with the tourists has always been a treat. "Yes, sir. No, sir. Yes, Mame. No, Mame." Polite to a fault and thrilled to have their pictures taken, these kids are gems.

Sure, there's bad apples in Jamaica. Where aren't there any? Let me know and I'm booking a cruise for there right now. I can't think of a single resort town anywhere that hasn't had it's share of crime. Unfortunately, this incident happened recently and got a bunch of press.

I'm going back to Jamaica in September and I'll be going back again next year.

Irie!!!

Thanks Maci for the review and answering questions so far - been trying to do some other searching on this trip; Would anyone you know if the spot they drop you at for Doc Caves is the "Doc Caves Beach Club"? See link below please

http://www.visitjamaica.com/planning_your_trip/attractions_beaches_general.aspx?guid=092bdfb6-53d7-4651-9ffd-959da9a9e0e4

Thank you.

I've vacationed MANY times in Jamaica and never had any problems. I do recall that on my first visit a Rastaman tried to sell me some Ganja within earshot of a customs agent! That was the extent of the difficulties I've had.

I love the Jamaican people. Seeing the young Jamaican kids, decked out in their school uniforms, with their clean, smiling faces enjoying interacting with the tourists has always been a treat. "Yes, sir. No, sir. Yes, Mame. No, Mame." Polite to a fault and thrilled to have their pictures taken, these kids are gems.

Sure, there's bad apples in Jamaica. Where aren't there any? Let me know and I'm booking a cruise for there right now. I can't think of a single resort town anywhere that hasn't had it's share of crime. Unfortunately, this incident happened recently and got a bunch of press.

I'm going back to Jamaica in September and I'll be going back again next year.

Irie!!!

Great post Machman! We're going back for our 10th weeklong land vacation in February. Looking forward to seeing our friends again.

Respect

Thanks.

I really do feel at home in Jamaica. I never found anyone there to be other than helpful and friendly.

For many years, I heard stories about thugs in the hills but I can't recall problems along the coast other than the incident that you mentioned.

The people aren't pushy as much as they are proud. Even the folks with a very a small 'shop' are proud of what they have to offer.

I've been going to Jamaica since the mid eighties and I'm thrilled to be going back again.

Archived