Report - Doubletree Hotel San Pedro by CJW

Here's my general report of another good option for cruisers leaving from Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro...

Who is this hotel good for?

People who want a "Park and Sail" package...

People who want a nice park, marina, and beach-y area near their hotel (more "green" and "nature-y" than downtown)...

People who may have a little time, or want to do a little more "sightseeing" of the beaches and park areas in San Pedro...

(report of my "tour" at the end of this later).

People who don't want to drive around the area or to the port, but want local transport to and from the pier (only the San Pedro pier) for their cruise...

Various views inside the hotel:

2042735110079337728uLwENu_th.jpg

Restaurant area:

2741338650079337728zNNgro_th.jpg

Pool area:

2842552590079337728nMwpRS_th.jpg

Spa across from the pool:

2096786020079337728vBUEUV_th.jpg

Pool area from one of the 9 ground floor "balcony/lanai/terrace" rooms:

2009025650079337728BJADMR_th.jpg

PS - I personally lurv these balcony ground floor room locations, the pool area is generally always quiet and nice to sit out here and be in the outside area...

Then a huge plus (as far as I'm concerned)...

They have 2 or 3 of their own hotel shuttles "waiting" around in general...

They don't have a "sign up sheet" to get you to the pier, you just talk to the concierge and arrange when you want to go...

Now, if it's "busy" for a moment and out on a run, then you don't get it "instantly" upon asking, but it will be right back in 10 or 15 minutes...

Here's a picture of two waiting around:

2354710850079337728RcOxzd_th.jpg

2399781230079337728cDuoKb_th.jpg

THEN, the thing that is currently available and that I lurv about them...

Whenever one of the shuttles is available (so you might have to wait 10 or 20 minutes depending) they WILL DRIVE YOU to ANYWHERE in San Pedro! (So nowhere out of San Pedro)

(Talk to the concierge to arrange)...

So, any restaurants, sights, Cabrillo Beach, Angel's Gate Park, Point Fermin, etc. - check my "tour" coming up here...

So, if you had time and wanted to see more of these sights while you are in San Pedro, they will do their best to "accomodate" you for that!

That is a "new" thing, but an "important" thing I think for another reason to stay here, if you have the time and are interested...

Link to "the tour" is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

So basically, the sights at Angel's Gate Park, Point Fermin, the "top" of The Cliffs, and the cafe are all within one ride/stop close to the Doubletree...

Spend a while, check it, then get them to pick up back up, and take you to:

Cabrillo Beach, and the bottom walk around for other views of "The Cliffs"

(or just have them take you here first or only)...

Is SO close, you can see the beach and cliffs in some of the pictures...

SO, this hotel, good if you want more ocean-y, open, greenery and not downtown area.

Not a lot except the local grounds and beaches in direct "walking" distance.

Good if you want the hotel shuttle to take you to some other sights and restuarants...

(Ooh, side note - this restaurant is a "walkable" - long walk, but close for those healthy walkers - or the hotel shuttle will take you and it will take about a minute drive)

http://www.22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/

Just so you know...

Somehow I hope this all helps...:D

CJW

WOW! What great information. We love staying at the Doubletree and several from our roll call will be there in December. I'll mention on our RC to check out your wonderfully informative review. Thank you.

Thanks for all that great info! I'm cruising in December on Princess out of the San Pedro terminal. Although the Doubletree seems like a very nice place, my needs are basically more toward the safety of my car than touring the town. I will drive in Friday night, get some sleep, and then go to the cruise terminal. I don't need things like buffet breakfast and a bottle of wine. So I'm wondering if anyone can advise a decent, safe hotel in or near San Pedro that will provide transportation to/from the San Pedro terminal and allow me to park my car there for the week. I'd rather spend in the low $100s than $200, which is the Doubletree rate. Thanks!

Thanks CJW!

We are booked at the Doubletree for 2 nights before our Jan 5/08 Panama Canal cruise and really appreciate your excellent pictures and info!! :cool:

We had also planned on going to the 22nd Landing Restaurant too!

We have asked for a Marina view...is there a floor that is better than the others or are they all about the same for nice interiors?

Pat :)

Thanks CJW!

We are booked at the Doubletree for 2 nights before our Jan 5/08 Panama Canal cruise and really appreciate your excellent pictures and info!! :cool:

We had also planned on going to the 22nd Landing Restaurant too!

We have asked for a Marina view...is there a floor that is better than the others or are they all about the same for nice interiors?

Pat :)

• 2 months later...

we used this hotel last year but did not know about the park and sail package...in a couple weeks we are going again and will be doing the package...we couldnbt believe the great rate and I am glad it worked out noce for you. Doubletree's are usually nice properties so I am not so worried about the rooms. Thanks for the review

We stayed at the Doubletree on 9/30 with their park & cruise package. Complimentary breakfast (and it was not just coffee, juice and rolls!) and they sent up a bottle of champagne to our room that night.

We did have to put our names on the shuttle list for the next morning but on returning you just call the hotel when you have your luggage and they pick you up on the parking island in front. We were the only ones on the return trip and they took right to our car and unloaded our luggage. Definitely will stay there again!

• 1 month later...
We stayed at the Doubletree on 9/30 with their park & cruise package. Complimentary breakfast (and it was not just coffee, juice and rolls!) and they sent up a bottle of champagne to our room that night.

We did have to put our names on the shuttle list for the next morning but on returning you just call the hotel when you have your luggage and they pick you up on the parking island in front. We were the only ones on the return trip and they took right to our car and unloaded our luggage. Definitely will stay there again!

How much did they charge for the park and sail package. If I already have a reservation through Expedia is it possible to add this later? We are going on the Monarch in March and I like the park and sail idea a lot.

Thanks, BP

How much did they charge for the park and sail package. If I already have a reservation through Expedia is it possible to add this later? We are going on the Monarch in March and I like the park and sail idea a lot.

Thanks, BP

I think it was $199 with tax. So, depending on how length of your cruise, you can save $$ on parking.

We have one night booked at the Doubletree in January with the park and sail package. The rate is $189 plus tax of 26.55 total= $215.55. This includes breakfast for 2 and free shuttle to the port, parking for your car for the duration of your cruise and free shuttle from the port back to the hotel after your cruise. I think it is a great deal! I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza when it was a Sheraton and I was greatly underwhelmed so I am giving the Doubletree a shot. Marilyn:D

I have the Doubletree booked for one night in January and the pictures are very helpful. It looks like a decent area to walk in the morning before boarding the ship - especially the marina boardwalk area.:) Are there any good places to pick up water or soda before boarding?

• 1 year later...

Curt..just got back from the Inaugural Mariner cruise.

Copied and took your recommendations with us.

Thanks so much.

Stayed at the Doubletree and LOVED IT.

No it was not just the warm choc chip cookie they give you at the check-in counter alone.

Neutrogena products in the rooms.

It was very comfortable and home like. The shuttle staff were great.

The grounds are very nice.

Very easy to go from hotel to parked car in lot.

We booked Park and Cruise for 179.00 per night but with price drop and taking a non view room we got it for 139.00 a night with free buffet breakfast and parking for the entire cruise. Just kept checking directly with the hotel staff itself for prices. They admit can change from one minute to the next.

Nice sitting area in lobby where our roll call group could often be seen hanging out.

Doubletree is just minutes from the pier and downtown.

We had dinner at a nice restaurant right around the corner from the Doubletree at 22nd Street Landing.

We did drive up to a close nice Albertsons next to a Bank of America and got a few treats for the cabin crawl.

We liked the Acapulco Mexican Restaurant on the pier and highly recommend it if in San Pedro on Sat afternoon pre-cruise. Go there and have a Miami Vice with dinner and watch the Sapphire Princess and Norwegian Star leave port.

We got to the Doubletree on Friday morning and was told for the Sunday shuttle to the ship we could sign up after 6am Saturday. I called at 6 am Sat because I wanted a 1030 shuttle to the port. They took our car license number down since our vehicle would be there a week. We actually landed up leaving Doubletree a few minutes earlier since all 10 people for our shuttle were there early and waiting. We weren't too eager to get to the ship. We got to the pier, our luggage was taken off, and we basically walked right up for check-in and then a short wait to be let on the ship. The planks were not real sturdy leading to the ship and with 2 suitcases I was rolling it was a little difficult turning those corners.

When we got back from the cruise called Doubletree and the shuttle was there in 10 minutes to take us back to the hotel to get our cars.

Some of the group stayed at the Crowne Plaza. They had good things to stay about their stay.

My personal taste..prefer not to stay in multi-level hotels if I don't have to.

We had a car so no problem driving the few minutes to the pier or town.

Probably cannot lose with either hotel but for me it will be back to the Doubletree.

Laura

Archived