Costa Rica and Panama Shore Excursions

Cruisin J's

A group of 13 of us are taking a canal cruise on the Summit on 10/1 and would like to gather some recommendations for shore excursions for Panama and Costa Rica. I think we are in Panama for only 4-6 hours in the evening, but in Costa Rica all day. We would like to see the rain forrest, but not with the X excursions as they team this up with other activities that have you out for 8 or 9 hours. I would like to hear any suggestions, or warnings from those you may have taken.

Thanks.

In Costa Rica I have to recommend the Sloth Sanctuary. You get to go on a canoe ride through the rain forest--we saw amazing birds and monkeys in the trees. You get a tour of the sanctuary and "meet" the sloths. There are trails on the proprty and you can take a hike if you'd like. They also offer a fresh fruit snack to cool off. On the way back to the ship we stopped at a hotel/shopping area. It's a great mix of tour activities--something for everyone. It's pretty short too--we were off the ship in the morning and had time to come back to the ship for lunch and then we went to the market area for shopping. If a tour to the Sanctuary isn't offered by your ship, see if you can shecdule it on your own. It was a great half day.

A group of 13 of us are taking a canal cruise on the Summit on 10/1 and would like to gather some recommendations for shore excursions for Panama and Costa Rica. I think we are in Panama for only 4-6 hours in the evening' date=' but in Costa Rica all day. We would like to see the rain forrest, but not with the X excursions as they team this up with other activities that have you out for 8 or 9 hours. I would like to hear any suggestions, or warnings from those you may have taken.[/font']

Thanks.

Where is you ship going to dock for the tours? Is this a complete transit of the canal (8 hour trip) or a Gatun Lake entrance? San Jose is in the center and a long ride from either coast if you stop in Costa Rica. Sarchi is closer to the Pacific side and a nice visit.

• 3 years later...
In Costa Rica I have to recommend the Sloth Sanctuary. You get to go on a canoe ride through the rain forest--we saw amazing birds and monkeys in the trees. You get a tour of the sanctuary and "meet" the sloths. There are trails on the proprty and you can take a hike if you'd like. They also offer a fresh fruit snack to cool off. On the way back to the ship we stopped at a hotel/shopping area. It's a great mix of tour activities--something for everyone. It's pretty short too--we were off the ship in the morning and had time to come back to the ship for lunch and then we went to the market area for shopping. If a tour to the Sanctuary isn't offered by your ship, see if you can shecdule it on your own. It was a great half day.

Can you sit out the canoe ride ....my husband can't get into a canoe without tipping it?

Has any one taken this tour from Princess - it included a gondola ride through the canopy level of the forest - Interested in this one = would like some feed back. It is also a short ride from the port. Thanks

Limon, Costa Rica

Archived