Tremont or Harbor House

gbcruise

We're staying at the Tremont. We got a fair rate and they are close to the Pier where Galaxy will dock, but not as close as the Harbor House.

The pics of Harbor House were not as nice and I have seen one or two not so glowing reports about the harbor house rooms being small.

Roy

I pulled this message off of a recent post:confused:

We've stayed at the Harbor House for our previous cruise. Exceptional! Large spacious rooms, attentive and knowledgable staff, and a 5 min. walk to the terminal. The price was a good value we felt, and we left our car in the well-lit parking lot for 20.00 dollars, which I'd do again. Many nice restaurants close by and is located in the Strand District (historic).

The hotel allowed us to use their luggage dolly to transport our things to the termnal, and when we returned one of the porters helped us back to the parking lot (20.00...our choice)...that was a big help!

We will stay at the Harbor House again this fall and just can't wait. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

~gina~

Roy

Have you thought about the Hotel Galvez??? Will let you park free and shuttle you to the pier. I have stayed there and it is a gorgeously restored hotel. Nice pool and across from the seawall. The Harbor House looks a little industrial for me. We have been inside the lobby, but not in rooms. The good thing about it is that it is right on Pier 21. This has really good seafood restaurants, museums, oil rig, tall ship, tourist stuff, etc. They do charge you $8 per night for parking when you stay there, plus $20 to leave your car when you go on the cruise. Alot of the other hotels do not charge anything for parking.

I'm actually interested in both Harbor House & Tremont so its coming down to how much parking is, if they offer contential breakfast, etc... so basically the amenities. Does anyone mind listing what would be considered a reasonable rate for either hotel? Being that I've never stayed in this area before I'm not sure. We MAY stay before & after the cruise so we may get to experience both, not quite sure yet.

I'm actually interested in both Harbor House & Tremont so its coming down to how much parking is, if they offer contential breakfast, etc... so basically the amenities. Does anyone mind listing what would be considered a reasonable rate for either hotel? Being that I've never stayed in this area before I'm not sure. We MAY stay before & after the cruise so we may get to experience both, not quite sure yet.

I also am interested in both hotels also. I saw pictures of the Harbor House and it did not look that nice, But it could have been the way the photo was taken.

We will be staying in Galveston for Spring Break, I need a hotel that is kid friendly.

We got Tremont House this summer off of priceline and for only $80. According to their web site the actual price was somewhere around $120. I love this hotel! The rooms are large with lots of sitting room. We had wood floors, huge ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, 2 double beds that were comfy and wrought iron, a couch, 2 overstuffed chairs, a coffee table, 2 other hardback chairs, a tv armoir, another skirted table, a large closet, nice bathroom with robes and a towel warmer. Our kids loved it and the staff seemed fine with them running all over! No free breakfast though. No pool either but you can have pool privaledges at the Galves because they are owned by the same company. Just 2 blocks from pier and 1 from the Strand. I really love this hotel!

I would highly recommend the Harbour House. We stayed there last summer and it would definately be my choice again. When you enter all there is, is the checkin desk, then up the elevator to your room.. very nice rooms (especially the suites). We woke up in the morning and looked out our window and there was the Rhapsody turning around (took up the whole window). Parking was a flat 20.00 for the week, in their parking lot which you must have passcode to enter (and has security on duty 24 hours a day). There are no ammenities so to speak - just very nice rooms in an excellent location. We live in Texas and have spent many summers in Galveston (and stayed at many hotels) and the Harbour House gets my vote by far if your going out on a cruise. Take the trolley around Galveston from right in front of the hotel, have an excellent dinner at one of the resturants by the hotel (very close), sit by the water (right out the door and have a drink) - you won't be disappointed unless you are just one of those people who like biggg hotels with lots of 'things'.

I have been researching Priceline, there is not a lot of info on Galveston hotels.

karenh1127, what *star* hotel did you bid for? Also If I understand PL does not guarantee a double room. :confused:

Please tell me your experience. We have 3 children.

We got Tremont House this summer off of priceline and for only $80. According to their web site the actual price was somewhere around $120. I love this hotel! The rooms are large with lots of sitting room. We had wood floors, huge ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, 2 double beds that were comfy and wrought iron, a couch, 2 overstuffed chairs, a coffee table, 2 other hardback chairs, a tv armoir, another skirted table, a large closet, nice bathroom with robes and a towel warmer. Our kids loved it and the staff seemed fine with them running all over! No free breakfast though. No pool either but you can have pool privaledges at the Galves because they are owned by the same company. Just 2 blocks from pier and 1 from the Strand. I really love this hotel!

Galveston only goes up to a 3* on Priceline. I selected this and got the Tremont House. No it does not guarantee a double room but we have always gotten one because I think the King beds are more in demand. There are not a lot of fancy hotels in Galveston so I think that by selecting 3* you will end up with a very nice one. The others are San Luis, Galvez, Harbor House, Moody Gardens, possibly Hilton but that is about all. All of these are nice hotels and really should be 4*. We have 2 kids and always get a double room. They will also bring in a cot too. Some hotels would let me reserve a double before hand just by calling when I found out what hotel priceline gave me but others said I had to wait until check-in. However we always got a double. Let me know what you do.

I called Hotel Galvez and they want $159 a night. Moody Gardens wants $225.

Yikes:eek: ....

I have a room holding at Galvez, but I think I will try Priceline later.

For the savings you can't beat PL. I was afraid we would get the 2nd class citizen treatment.;) ...

Thanks for your help...I'll make sure I post when I do PL.

With Princess and Celebrity cruises in Galveston, we should see more reports coming in around October.:)

One last question, what was your starting bid????

I always begin really low like $35 and then a red warning window comes up that says something like "bid not likely to be accepted" so I just keep going up until that red warning disappears. We stayed during peak summer and the lowest bid I could enter without the warning was $80. We got the Tremont but if you are going during off season you might can put in lower bid. Looks like you are going spring break so dont know how cheap you can get it. We are going on Ecstasy March 7.

I just went to priceline and it let me bid $60 without the red warning coming up for the night of March 12. You can choose to bid a lower bid even with the warning but it usually wont get picked up. The thing about priceline is you can only bid every 3 days. If your original bid is not accepted then you have to wait 3 days unless you are willing to change date, location, star level or something. Good luck!

I always begin really low like $35 and then a red warning window comes up that says something like "bid not likely to be accepted" so I just keep going up until that red warning disappears. We stayed during peak summer and the lowest bid I could enter without the warning was $80. We got the Tremont but if you are going during off season you might can put in lower bid. Looks like you are going spring break so dont know how cheap you can get it. We are going on Ecstasy March 7.

On tripadvisor Treemont is rated as #1 hotel...I'm so wishy washy,my dh says,

I don't know where to stay.

If it was up to him we would drive up the same day.

Not me, I wan to be rested for my cruise:) .

Where have you stayed in Galveston???

Have stayed mostly at condos like the Victorian but my parents have stayed at the San Luis and the Galvez. They love them both. I stayed at Tremont in July and I cant say enough good things about it. The Hilton looks nice and Moody Gardens looks great but $$$$. Stay away from Seahorse Inn and the Commodore and the Flagship. They are old and run down. If you choose 3* on priceline I really dont think you will go wrong. There is also a Holiday Inn Express on the east end which is where the piers are. I would have to say the top hotels are Galvez, San Luis, Moody Gardens, and Tremont House in no particular order. I hear good and bad about Harbor House but have not even seen it. Have you been to Galveston before? If not i could tell you some places worth seeing. I see you are in San Antonio......We go there atleast twice a year. One time is always the weekend before Christmas. It has become a family tradition. We usually stay at the Hilton Riverwalk but I was thinking of doing priceline this year for the downtown area. I think most of the 4* hotels are nice and most are on the riverwalk if not real close. I could save half of the money.

Karen,

I also Love San Antonio at Christmas, we have a holiday tradition, every Christmas Eve we dine at the Market Square then walk the River looking at lights. :)

Yes, I have been to Galveston, but I was so unimpressed I didn't really pay attention to the hotels. Actually I lived in Katy.:)

I know I want a decent hotel, I also want to be around other cruisers so ,Like you said with a 3* I can't go wrong.

Because of my kids I'm leaning toward the Galvez. I've heard there are a lot of family's there.

It's been great chatting with you!!!

We always eat at Mi Tiara in the Market Square!! What a small world! Since you lived in Katy then you probably know where Deer Park is...I live there! Galveston is nothing much, especially the beach. The rainforest cafe is neat and the strand is good for shopping, eating, etc. The Galvez has a nice pool but it may be to cold in early March.

We always eat at Mi Tiara in the Market Square!! What a small world! Since you lived in Katy then you probably know where Deer Park is...I live there! Galveston is nothing much, especially the beach. The rainforest cafe is neat and the strand is good for shopping, eating, etc. The Galvez has a nice pool but it may be to cold in early March.

Wow, it's Mi Tiara for us also. I love how they have it all decorated:) .

I thought about looking for a hotel with a heated pool. This past March it was COLD and rainy...Yuk!!! Someone mentioned the Hilton, a little expensive.

Moody Gardens wants $225 a night.

The reason I haven't bid on PL is I don't know where to stay yet!

It may be too soon to do priceline for next March. The more last minute it is the better your chances however with it being Galveston and a cruise city I wouldnt wait too long. I think pricelince offers some type of insurance that will refund part of your $ if you cancel. Mi Tiara is good and the kids like to take the trolley there.

• 6 months later...
Have stayed mostly at condos like the Victorian but my parents have stayed at the San Luis and the Galvez. They love them both. I stayed at Tremont in July and I cant say enough good things about it. The Hilton looks nice and Moody Gardens looks great but $$$$. Stay away from Seahorse Inn and the Commodore and the Flagship. They are old and run down. If you choose 3* on priceline I really dont think you will go wrong. There is also a Holiday Inn Express on the east end which is where the piers are. I would have to say the top hotels are Galvez, San Luis, Moody Gardens, and Tremont House in no particular order. I hear good and bad about Harbor House but have not even seen it. Have you been to Galveston before? If not i could tell you some places worth seeing. I see you are in San Antonio......We go there atleast twice a year. One time is always the weekend before Christmas. It has become a family tradition. We usually stay at the Hilton Riverwalk but I was thinking of doing priceline this year for the downtown area. I think most of the 4* hotels are nice and most are on the riverwalk if not real close. I could save half of the money.

Karen:

We are booked at the Victorian Condos in November...what is your opinion? I was very impressed by the reservationists and if the service is a good as the reservationists then I feel I have struck gold for the night before our cruise!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see the webcams in Galveston, the Grand Princess is just in and you can see Harbor House from the bridgecam.

Conversely, you can see the Grand Princess from the Harbor House webcam.

Only 8 months:( 'til we cruise the Galaxy out of Galveston:)

Archived