Help with Binoculars

triplecrownprincipal

For our Alaskan Cruise, I am trying to determine whether to buy 8 X42 or 10 x 42 binoculars. I have been told that one must have a steady hand for the 10x 42, but one can see more. I also have discovered that there are brands after brands of binoculars so it has becomce a quite confusing purchase. I would appreciate any suggestions.

All things being equal (same brand and model), 8x binoculars usually offer a brighter image and a wider field of view. 10x binoculars offer greater magnification. I own numerous pairs of both, and prefer 10x for viewing small distant objects from a stable platform (distant eagles from a mountain top, for example). I prefer 8x for low light situations (bird watching in a forest) and also for use on a moving platform (such as a boat or train). If you are prone to migraines, or if you have any hand tremor, then lower magnification might be a better choice. If you have a steady hand, you might appreciate the higher power.

The quality of the binoculars is even more important than the power. High quality glass (or flourite) lenses allow for a much sharper image, and high quality coatings on the lenses make the image brighter. If you are willing to spend a large amount of money, you can purchase an ultra compact pair of 8x binoculars that will be every bit as bright and sharp as full sized 10x pair ofbinoculars that cost much less (but weigh much more). (the second number indicates the size of the pair of binoculars; 8x20 are the ultra compact ones, 8x32 are mid sized, and 8x42 are full sized; in general the higher the second number, the brighter the image, but higher quality optics will allow you to have a smaller pair with the same performance).

It is also important to find a pair that fits comfortably in your hands...if you can visit a local camera or sporting goods store, there are often many different styles available to try; at least that way you can decide whether you prefer 8x or 10x, mid sized or full sized...

Forgot to add...make sure that you select a pair that is waterproof...especially for AK, where the weather is cool and humid.

I personally have had good luck purchasing optics from Eagle Optics in wisconsin (I have no affiliation with them)...their sales staff is really helpful and knowledgable, and they have a very liberal return policy (so you can order several pairs, and send back the ones you don't want; I have done this several times). Their prices are usually as good as anyone else (although I have also found wonderful deals on e-bay, and at going out of business sales).

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I have learned a bit from each of you and I have done some homework on the web. The Eagle Optics site is quite good; I called for some questions and they were most helpful. I also emailed Zen-Ray and they were most helpful also. I have narrowed my purchase down to the Nikon Monarch 8x42 and the Zen-Ray Summit 8x42. Here is and excerpt from Zen-Ray in regard to my question:

"8x42 SUMMIT is much better product than 8x42 VISTA. It uses 6 groups/8 Optic Elements on each barrel, vs 4 groups/6 elements for VISTA. This results in an almost distortion free wide field of view (388 ft @ 1000 yards vs 356ft @1000 yards for Vista). SUMMIT also uses Phase-coating on the prism to maintain the color spetrum fidelity." I still will probably go with the Monarch.

I hope my research helps someone and thanks for all of your input.

Hi, I just purchased a pair of refurbished Zen-Ray Summit 10x42s last month and used them on my first cruise in the Caribbean and also on a tram tour in the Everglades.

I'm no expert, but they appeared to perform perfectly and we were amazed by the clarity of detail and brightness. If you sign up for their email list they will also occasionally give you offers for extra % off, too!:)

Is anyone familiar enough with binoculars to know if any of the brands are USA made?

As far as I know, US companies pretty much phased out of manufacturing of optics in the 60's due to the cost of high labor intensive job and lack of order from military like during the war. Most US optics shop either switched to other more profitable products or went out of business after WWII. The last well known US made binoculars is Bausch and Lomb. They imported binoculars from Japan in 60's and 70's, eventually sold their optical business all together to Bushnell and focused on eyecare products. There are some obscure names that were mainly army contractors back in WWII: Universal Camera, Wollensak, Crown Optical, B&L, and Spencer Lens. You may still find some in ebay. But keep in mind the 1940's quality is no where near the modern binoculars.

As far as I know, US companies pretty much phased out of manufacturing of optics in the 60's due to the cost of high labor intensive job and lack of order from military like during the war. Most US optics shop either switched to other more profitable products or went out of business after WWII. The last well known US made binoculars is Bausch and Lomb. They imported binoculars from Japan in 60's and 70's, eventually sold their optical business all together to Bushnell and focused on eyecare products. There are some obscure names that were mainly army contractors back in WWII: Universal Camera, Wollensak, Crown Optical, B&L, and Spencer Lens. You may still find some in ebay. But keep in mind the 1940's quality is no where near the modern binoculars.

Thanks for the info. I try to buy products made in the USA as much as possible. Zen Ray told me:

"The optics are designed in US and the assembly was done by our own factory in China by adhereing to our highest quality standard."

Thanks for the info. I try to buy products made in the USA as much as possible. Zen Ray told me:

"The optics are designed in US and the assembly was done by our own factory in China by adhereing to our highest quality standard."

Leupold is an American-owned optics company...I am not 100% sure where the binoculars are manufactured, however...I own a Leupold spotting scope, and have tried out several pairs of Leopold binoculars...they are all high quality.

http://www.leupold.com

Leupold is an American-owned optics company...I am not 100% sure where the binoculars are manufactured, however...I own a Leupold spotting scope, and have tried out several pairs of Leopold binoculars...they are all high quality.

www.leupold.com

I just bought a pair of leupold for my father as a gift this Christmas. It is made in china. It costs about $350 after some discount.

I just bought a pair of leupold for my father as a gift this Christmas. It is made in china. It costs about $350 after some discount.

Here is what Leupold emailed me when I asked where their binoculars were made:

"All of our Gold Ring products (including binoculars) are manufactured here. The Green Ring binoculars are imported from overseas, however they are engineered and all specifications are set forth by the employees here at Leupold in Beaverton, OR. "

Here is what Leupold emailed me when I asked where their binoculars were made:

"All of our Gold Ring products (including binoculars) are manufactured here. The Green Ring binoculars are imported from overseas, however they are engineered and all specifications are set forth by the employees here at Leupold in Beaverton, OR. "

That's good to know...I have a gold ring spotting scope, and it is a high-quality product:)

That's good to know...I have a gold ring spotting scope, and it is a high-quality product:)

Their gold ring binoculars are really good. I have tried 10/17x42 dual power binoculars and I am quite impressed. It is very expensive too at $1200+. Maybe ebay or getting a second hand one if the deal is good.

Their gold ring binoculars are really good. I have tried 10/17x42 dual power binoculars and I am quite impressed. It is very expensive too at $1200+. Maybe ebay or getting a second hand one if the deal is good.

I have narrowed my purchase down to the Nikon Monarch 8x42 and the Zen-Ray Summit 8x42. I still will probably go with the Monarch.

Hi,

From reading these boards, I narrowed my choices down to the Nikon Monarch 8X42, ZenRay 8X42 and Leupold 8X42. The Nikon and Leupold were about the same cost and the ZenRay quite a bit cheaper. I really didn't want to buy something I couldn't see or handle before ordering (ZenRay). I checked out the other two at Cabella's and liked the Monarch better. Ordered it from Amazon.com for about $67 less, and received it 4 days later with free shipping.

Bruce

For our Alaskan Cruise, I am trying to determine whether to buy 8 X42 or 10 x 42 binoculars. I have been told that one must have a steady hand for the 10x 42, but one can see more. I also have discovered that there are brands after brands of binoculars so it has becomce a quite confusing purchase. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Suggest going to a local sporting goods store and actually looking through the different binoculars in the store. There will be low lighting in areas that can really show the brightness of the image and also the focus when reading printing on items.

I bought a Tasco 10x50mm 2023BRZ wide angle from a local Sports Authority. I was surprized at the loss of light through some of the well known brand names that were more expensive (not the super expensive ones). Had I bought via the web I would have chosen one of the brand names over this particular Tasco and never known what I was missing. It was noticeably brighter and had better focus than the more expensive brand name binoculars while testing in the store.

I originally bought this binoculars to check targets at 25 yards at the local hand handgun range which is why I got the 10x50mm. I also bought a mini-tripod and made a small 1/4" plywood platform that goes on top of the tripod which I set the binoculars on at the range. The binoculars is held on using a large, heavy rubber band. For experienced cruisers, from our balcony stateroom, will I be better off hand holding or will it be worth it to bring the modified tripod along to set on a table on the balcony?

Archived