Help with Binoculars

triplecrownprincipal

Suggest going to a local sporting goods store and actually looking through the different binoculars in the store. There will be low lighting in areas that can really show the brightness of the image and also the focus when reading printing on items.

I bought a Tasco 10x50mm 2023BRZ wide angle from a local Sports Authority. I was surprized at the loss of light through some of the well known brand names that were more expensive (not the super expensive ones). Had I bought via the web I would have chosen one of the brand names over this particular Tasco and never known what I was missing. It was noticeably brighter and had better focus than the more expensive brand name binoculars while testing in the store.

I originally bought this binoculars to check targets at 25 yards at the local hand handgun range which is why I got the 10x50mm. I also bought a mini-tripod and made a small 1/4" plywood platform that goes on top of the tripod which I set the binoculars on at the range. The binoculars is held on using a large, heavy rubber band. For experienced cruisers, from our balcony stateroom, will I be better off hand holding or will it be worth it to bring the modified tripod along to set on a table on the balcony?

Did you compare it against other brands with the same magnification and objective lens size? That will make a big difference. Do you know what the eye relief this one has as I was little surprised that none of online stores lists this important number.

As for the tripod, I will leave it at home. resting your arm on the railing or on your body if you sit in a chair will be more efficient. You don't want to miss the action while trying to rotate or pivet your binoculars to the right angle. :)

If you can afford it, get a pair with image stabilization. It makes a huge difference, and you can really zoom in without having to have a steady hand.

Canon IS binoculars constantly get good reviews by its users. Before the holiday their waterproof 10x42IS L is on deep discount for about $800 (relatively speaking),which is really a good deal.

Did you compare it against other brands with the same magnification and objective lens size? That will make a big difference. Do you know what the eye relief this one has as I was little surprised that none of online stores lists this important number.

Yes, as I was looking for about a 10x50mm magnification to be able to see the bullet holes in the target easier. I did not consider lower power binoculars for this reason. I just tested all of the binoculars in this range that the store happened to have. ..... I don't know enough about binoculars to know about the eye relief. I was only looking for two things, the brightness and focus, while testing. What does the eye relief do? What numbers are good or bad?

As for the tripod, I will leave it at home. resting your arm on the railing or on your body if you sit in a chair will be more efficient. You don't want to miss the action while trying to rotate or pivet your binoculars to the right angle. :)

Sounds like very sound advice. I'll leave the tripod at home.

Thanks,

Skyglider

What does the eye relief do? What numbers are good or bad?

Skyglider

The eye relief is the optimal viewing distance between the ocular lens surface and your eyes. This is important, especially for eyeglass wearers. A minimal of 11mm is desired. If the distance is too short (I have seen some quoted with 5mm), you would have to push your eyes against the lens. It is not comfortable and will also make it easier to form external fogging. Short eye relief also means glasses wearers have to take off the glasses each time when using binoculars. Hope this helps.

The eye relief is the optimal viewing distance between the ocular lens surface and your eyes. This is important, especially for eyeglass wearers. A minimal of 11mm is desired. If the distance is too short (I have seen some quoted with 5mm), you would have to push your eyes against the lens. It is not comfortable and will also make it easier to form external fogging. Short eye relief also means glasses wearers have to take off the glasses each time when using binoculars. Hope this helps.
I like a lot of eye relief for my whale and sea-bird watching binoculars, as I am always wearing polarized sunglasses as well (helps with seeing more of the whale underwater)...14 or 15mm

Just checked online and the eye relief for my Tasco is 11mm. Luckly, it "just" makes the recommended mimimum. Though it cannot compare to better quality binoculars, at $28.95 it might be OK for those on a budget.

Just checked online and the eye relief for my Tasco is 11mm. Luckly, it "just" makes the recommended mimimum. Though it cannot compare to better quality binoculars, at $28.95 it might be OK for those on a budget.

I had a pair of TASCO 10x50 back several years ago. I agree with Skyglider that it is relatively bright considering its price. You need to watch out for the rain. Mine was damaged when water leaked in and constantly fogs up when it is cold out there. I have been using waterproof binoculars under all kinds of weather and never had to worry about this problem again.

All things being equal (same brand and model), 8x binoculars usually offer a brighter image and a wider field of view. 10x binoculars offer greater magnification. I own numerous pairs of both, and prefer 10x for viewing small distant objects from a stable platform (distant eagles from a mountain top, for example). I prefer 8x for low light situations (bird watching in a forest) and also for use on a moving platform (such as a boat or train). If you are prone to migraines, or if you have any hand tremor, then lower magnification might be a better choice. If you have a steady hand, you might appreciate the higher power.

The quality of the binoculars is even more important than the power. High quality glass (or flourite) lenses allow for a much sharper image, and high quality coatings on the lenses make the image brighter. If you are willing to spend a large amount of money, you can purchase an ultra compact pair of 8x binoculars that will be every bit as bright and sharp as full sized 10x pair ofbinoculars that cost much less (but weigh much more). (the second number indicates the size of the pair of binoculars; 8x20 are the ultra compact ones, 8x32 are mid sized, and 8x42 are full sized; in general the higher the second number, the brighter the image, but higher quality optics will allow you to have a smaller pair with the same performance).

It is also important to find a pair that fits comfortably in your hands...if you can visit a local camera or sporting goods store, there are often many different styles available to try; at least that way you can decide whether you prefer 8x or 10x, mid sized or full sized...

I didn't know anything about binoculars until I read your explanation. Thank you so much.

I had a pair of TASCO 10x50 back several years ago. I agree with Skyglider that it is relatively bright considering its price. You need to watch out for the rain. Mine was damaged when water leaked in and constantly fogs up when it is cold out there. I have been using waterproof binoculars under all kinds of weather and never had to worry about this problem again.

My Tasco 10x50mm 2023BRZ is described as being "water resistant" but not "waterproof". I hope that it doesn't fog up in Alaska in late May. Thanks much for sharing the water leak experience. I'll be sure to have a plastic bag ready in case it rains.

... higher quality optics will allow you to have a smaller pair with the same performance)....

Looks like I'm a litttle late to the binocular party... hope no one minds if I resurrect this thread! LOL!

I'm beginning to look at a pair to bring with us to Alaska... Since we'll be doing some hiking as well as using them from the balcony, I was hoping to find a compact pair that would work well in both situations instead of carrying two pair along. This quote caught my eye & I'm hoping someone has some advice! If weight is a big issue - does anyone have a recomendation for a compact pair that might work for both hiking & viewing of wildlife/scenery from the ship?

Thanks to all the gurus!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like I'm a litttle late to the binocular party... hope no one minds if I resurrect this thread! LOL!

I'm beginning to look at a pair to bring with us to Alaska... Since we'll be doing some hiking as well as using them from the balcony, I was hoping to find a compact pair that would work well in both situations instead of carrying two pair along. This quote caught my eye & I'm hoping someone has some advice! If weight is a big issue - does anyone have a recomendation for a compact pair that might work for both hiking & viewing of wildlife/scenery from the ship?

My husband just got a pair of Steiner 8.5x26 Wildlife for almost $300.:mad: He wanted to get a small pair to fit in the pocket on his utility vest. It is very light and clear. But the brightness cannot compare to our full-size 10x42 binoculars. If weight is important and price is not an issue, this might work for you. We have used our regular 10x42 several times. They don't feel heavy at all (only 24oz).

Unfortunately, when it comes to the ultra-compact binoculars, unless you are willing to pay for high quality optics, you will need to put up with a significant reduction in image quality and brightness. I have been able to find good deals on leica (8x20) and Zeiss (10x25) on ebay or at going-out-of business sales, and I am very happy with the binoculars. No, they are not as bright or easy to use as the mid- or full- sized binoculars of similar quality that I also own, but the optics are really sharp, and they weigh almost nothing (I keep the leica with me all the time...). If you are not used to using binoculars, you will find the narrow field of view and shorter eye relief a little tricky at first.

Thanks for the suggestions! After reading these boards & many, many reviews - I think I'll be better off with two pair. One to leave onboard for viewing from the balcony, and one compact model to take along while hiking. Thanks again for all your insight!

Thanks for the suggestions! After reading these boards & many, many reviews - I think I'll be better off with two pair. One to leave onboard for viewing from the balcony, and one compact model to take along while hiking. Thanks again for all your insight!

That could be a good solution. Whale-watcher has an excellent summary on pros and cons of compact binoculars. With price range from $10 all the way to $500+, none of them are made equal, even though sometimes the specs look similar. Try to look for a pair with features like, waterproof, fully multi-coated.

I agree...this is a great plan. You will enjoy having your compact pair with you at all times (as you never know what will pop up when you're least expecting it), but AK is one destination worthy of a full sized pair as well.

Hi:

I've been doing some research in trying to find a decent pair of binoculars that's not super expensive. I narrowed it down to a few choices and would like to get your feedback on which one is better.

DH/I are going on an Alaskan cruise in May and have a balcony cabin. We plan on doing some things on our own and will also be taking a few boat excursions as well. Outside of using binoculars on cruises, we won't be using them that much. Maybe in Maine when we travel up there but that's about it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the process of trying to find a store locally to check them out prior to purchasing.

Nikon Monarch 8x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3271

Nikon Monarch 10x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3272

Bushnell Excursion 10x42

Bushnell Excursion 8x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4145

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Sea ya!

Let me try this one again... Error in other post.

Bushnell Excursion 10x42 Binocular

Bushnell Excursion 8x42 Binocular

Sorry about that....

Sea ya!

I have used both Bushnell Excursion and Nikon Monarch and own the latter one for quite some time now. I would say Monarch is much better choice for low light performance and resolution. Excursion's edge softness is worse mainly because it tried to make use of all available FOV knowing the edge won't be sharp at all. Bushnell's answer to Monarch is the Legend models. I have tried Legend and almost bought one. If you have the budget, you should give it a look.

Hi:

I've been doing some research in trying to find a decent pair of binoculars that's not super expensive. I narrowed it down to a few choices and would like to get your feedback on which one is better.

DH/I are going on an Alaskan cruise in May and have a balcony cabin. We plan on doing some things on our own and will also be taking a few boat excursions as well. Outside of using binoculars on cruises, we won't be using them that much. Maybe in Maine when we travel up there but that's about it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the process of trying to find a store locally to check them out prior to purchasing.

Nikon Monarch 8x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3271

Nikon Monarch 10x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3272

Bushnell Excursion 10x42

Bushnell Excursion 8x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4145

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Sea ya!

Definitely try them all all prior to buying, but if cost is no object, I highly recommend the Nikon Monarch 10x42s--it's what I carried and used in Alaska. I can't speak to the Bushnells, but every hunter or bird-watcher I know owns a pair of these Nikon Monarchs. They should know best as they are holding and using binoculars for hours on end sometimes. Some 50s would have been more ideal for marine applications (such as whale watching) but I just didn't want to carry the additional weight. The 42s are considerably lighter than 50s, and thus IMO the 10x42s are a good compromise of magnification and weight.

Dave:

Thank you very much for your reponse. Which Bushnell Legend would you recommend? I'm no pro at binoculars and I'm learning as I'm going along. Since both brands are pretty close in price range which would be suited better for us?

Thanks again!

Sea ya!

either 10x42 or 8x42 will work. I like the 42mm size binoculars because larger 50mm ones are too heavy while the 26-28mm compact ones do not have enough brightness under low light condition.

Archived