Door decorating

Clarvey

Does anyone know if the stateroom doors on the Costa Atlantica are wood or steel? We are two couples going on our first cruise in April, celebrating three birthdays :). I want to put up "young" pictures and would like to know if I need magnets or adhesive. Thanks for any help or other suggestions.

Does anyone know if the stateroom doors on the Costa Atlantica are wood or steel? We are two couples going on our first cruise in April, celebrating three birthdays :). I want to put up "young" pictures and would like to know if I need magnets or adhesive. Thanks for any help or other suggestions.

I decorated our door on our last cruise along with my DS cabin door as well. We were the only ones on the whole deck who had decorations and by the end of the cruise, things were being taken off our doors or thrown on the floor. I was not impressed and will never do it again.

We have always decorated on past cruises...however last year our stuff was taken off and destroyed or stolen...and kids were taking the name tags off of the doors and switching them...so we probably will not decorate this time...People need to watch their teens and not let them run wild...jmho...:rolleyes:

We have always decorated on past cruises...however last year our stuff was taken off and destroyed or stolen...and kids were taking the name tags off of the doors and switching them...so we probably will not decorate this time...People need to watch their teens and not let them run wild...jmho...:rolleyes:

So true !! I wish I had caught them in the act !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the doors are metal. We have put up door signs in the past using the clear gummy adhesive spots. They remove easily without a trace and hold very well. We never had problems with people removing our signs. Just lucky I guess. It's a shame that people can't leave things alone. We are all there to relax and have a good time.

I actually called the cruise line (Princess) as I too want to decorate my door. They told me that they use tape all of the time on the doors. I bought a pretty flag from the dollar store for my door. Although it was inexpensive, I think it will add to the trip as it will make me smile each time I see it...it's also an easy way to find your room!! And I agree...anyone that destroys door decorations is mean spirited.

We decorate our door anytime we sail around Christmas. We usually don't put anything other than christmas cards. I did worry this last time ('06) that someone would take the ceramic candy cane we had hanging from the door handle but no one messed with it. We will do it again this Christmas on the Merdury as we are bound for Hawaii over Christmas and New Year's.

It really adds to our enjoyment and had so many cruisers tell us it helped make them fell more Christmas-sy. I have attached a pic of our door (and my sis) Christmas 06 cruise to Panama on the Constellation.

Take care,

=CD=

1136914741_LindabyOurDoor-Small.jpg.7eab0672dd2eb61b3c50f0703910a61d.jpg

Hi, we recently decorated our daughter's door, when she got married on a Carnival Cruise. It held up pretty well, there were a couple of dangling items which were ripped off, but she was able to take it down and take it home with her to keep. We are going on a Celebrity cruise in November 08 with my parents and we are going to do a poster for each other. So now the competition is on...lol My Mom & I are having so much fun planning our suprise posters for each other. It is all for fun so I encourage others to go on and have some fun too, just don't use expensive items, and I recommend that if you use photos print them on regular paper instead of photo paper. Good luck!

• 7 months later...
I actually called the cruise line (Princess) as I too want to decorate my door. They told me that they use tape all of the time on the doors. I bought a pretty flag from the dollar store for my door. Although it was inexpensive, I think it will add to the trip as it will make me smile each time I see it...it's also an easy way to find your room!! And I agree...anyone that destroys door decorations is mean spirited.

As a first time cruiser, I've never imagined something like that!! I liked the idea of decorating the door... I'll do that :D . I want 110% of fun on my cruisers. :D I'll buy something(s) nice! I assume that it is "encouraged" by the cruise lines in a general way??

We decorate our door anytime we sail around Christmas. We usually don't put anything other than christmas cards. I did worry this last time ('06) that someone would take the ceramic candy cane we had hanging from the door handle but no one messed with it. We will do it again this Christmas on the Merdury as we are bound for Hawaii over Christmas and New Year's.

It really adds to our enjoyment and had so many cruisers tell us it helped make them fell more Christmas-sy. I have attached a pic of our door (and my sis) Christmas 06 cruise to Panama on the Constellation.

Take care,

=CD=

I am leaving the day after Thanksgiving for a river cruise leaving out of Switzerland called Christmas Markets on the Rhine. Yesterday I found some foamy snowmen and snowflakes that I am going to decorate the door with. We are traveling with a group of 15 women and I will have one with each name on it. Got some paint too, so need to get working on that! Last time we did this river trip I got a very tiny, but real, Christmas tree at one of the markets. It made the room smell so good the entire trip!

As a first time cruiser, I've never imagined something like that!! I liked the idea of decorating the door... I'll do that :D . I want 110% of fun on my cruisers. :D I'll buy something(s) nice! I assume that it is "encouraged" by the cruise lines in a general way??

Cruise lines don't usually care what you do as long as you don't damage the door or something like that. Just as a word of caution though, on the big ocean ships I've lots of things "walk" off from my door. So, don't put anything on it that you don't mind never seeing again.

Cruise lines don't usually care what you do as long as you don't damage the door or something like that. Just as a word of caution though, on the big ocean ships I've lots of things "walk" off from my door. So, don't put anything on it that you don't mind never seeing again.

So true. We decorated our door once and we won't do it again. We had things disappear off our door also or was ripped off and thrown on the floor !! Why are there always those few who have to ruin it for everyone else??

We are sailing on the Ruby 11/29- Not Christmas and past Thanksgiving.

I will be decorating our cabin door again. I did it last year on the Westerdam and loved it. I got so many comments on it.

I don't have the plan yet for our door, but it will include a trip to the dollar store. $20 and I will have a fabulous door. Candy and all.

I used the wide shipping tape to put it all up. Didn't hurt the door or the wall.

Ruby here we come.:)

So true. We decorated our door once and we won't do it again. We had things disappear off our door also or was ripped off and thrown on the floor !! Why are there always those few who have to ruin it for everyone else??

Yep, really does ruin my fun. I simply won't do it on the big ships anymore. However, with the river cruise only have a little over 100 passengers and typically no kids, I am keeping my fingers crossed and trying again!

Well people, the idea of decorating is superb! Please, don't give it up (is this the right word for "not stop decorating" ??). Put cheap items, but put them. People that love to ruin beautiful things are everywhere... Like Obama said: Yes, we can! (change this kind of behavior).

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed Christmas last year on the Mariner and all 6 of our cabin doors were decorated. Made the hallway very festive, everyone going by commented, and made the rooms easy to find. On our next cruise we will have Anniversay signs, birthday signs, and haven't figured out the third door yet - first time cruisers but no real occasion for them but will come up with something. Decorate, decorate, decorate!!

We always decorate our door. Office Depot or Wal-Mart or any similar store has 8-1/2 by 11 inch magnetic sheets for inkjet printers. About 5 in the package, I think. Some clever artwork of your own or even just clipart can make an interesting decoration for your metal door. Personalize it as much as you want - and it keeps easily in a folder, use for every cruise. Have never had ours taken - hint - if you put your names on it, it's less likely to disappear.

You can design them with your ship logo, with holiday themes - just use your imagination.

We always decorate our cabin doors. Something appropriate for where we are cruising. Plus we used to put up a cruise critic door sign that was posted on this site but I haven't been able to find it lately. Also we take a wind sock for our balcony, while we are in port. Easy to point out our balcony.:)

I made a door sign and used those craft magnetic strips on the back of the poster board. I found some really cute cruise stuff in the scrapebooking section at walmart to decorate and also put our names in black letters. No one bothered it all week long and it made finding our cabin so much easier. Don't let a few ruin the fun for you...keep decorating..we all enjoy it so much!!!!

We always decorate our cabin doors. Something appropriate for where we are cruising. Plus we used to put up a cruise critic door sign that was posted on this site but I haven't been able to find it lately. Also we take a wind sock for our balcony, while we are in port. Easy to point out our balcony.:)

We do the same!!! We bring an American Flag to hang up on our balcony so we can easily see our room on the ship from whatever port we're in!

I'm on a New Year's cruise with HAL and made a sign for the cabin door. It basically says Happy New Year in the three languages spoken by the members of my family that are going on the cruise. Took me a few hours to create so I sure hope it doesn't get ruined!

We did some elaborate decorting on a them cruise earlier this year. Used our state flag as the bas and attatched theme related pictures and items. In November we traveled with 5 other cabins. I created a sticker for our rooms and printed them on 8X10 static sheets for the printer. Easy to put on and/or reposition and easy removal. Using several with a cruise or holiday theme would work for any type door.

Archived