worried about airport xrays' damage to film

shanna349

We will be returning from our cruise on March 9th, passing through San Juan airport with 2 rolls of 35mm film of our wedding. We did not order digital prints because of cost, but now I'm worrying about the exposure of the x-rays to our film (believe me- I will be handling these rolls of film as if they were my first born child until we hand them to a developer)

Have any of you had experience with requesting a hand inspection at security for the protection of your film?

I read this site and plan on coming prepared with copies of the FAA regulations for film but I just want to know if security guards throw up a stink about this sort of thing.

http://www.cameraontheroad.com/?p=839

As long as you keep your film with you in your carryon you should be fine. It is the big x-ray machines that are used for the checked luggage that cause problems with the film. (usually fog's the pictures).

I don't know how much time you have between disembarkation and your flight home, but you might want to try to locate someplace to have the film developed in San Juan. Most, if not all, one hour photo places these days will develope the prints and make a cd so that you will have prints plus the digital disk.

Congratulations, and have wonderful trip!

Archived