Are you interested in a walking Tour of Tallinn, Estonia. Check this out.

I have received several nice responses about the web site for a Bruges Walking Tour.

http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html

Here is another one about doing a self guided walking tour of Tallinn. http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

Again it has an interactive map, lots of photos of interesting places and some suggestions about lunch and how to get there from the ship and back.

I would really like to have your input with more suggestions and photos. Did I miss some nice spots? Did you have a favorite spot for lunch? What did you shop for? Keep in mind that most cruise ships only stay there one day; otherwise you could explore the surrounding country as well.

I will add links to other sources (such as the history of Tallinn) shortly.

This is awesome, I am printing it out to take with me, if only there was straight forward sites like this one for Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, etc. This is so clear and direct could want anything better, thanks so much.

Really great site. Thanks so much for putting it together and sharing it.:)

Question: what did you think of Old Hansa? I've visited their website, and I'm vacillating about trying it. We'll have our 5 and 9 year old with us. Do you think they would be welcome, or is it more of a special-occasion adult only place? Any feedback you could provide would be great!

Thanks again!

I&MsMom, go for it.

For lunch the place is fun and very casual. After all, it is a tourist place. I have not been there for dinner and I think the menu may scare some, but you should go in have a laugh, a coke and some snacks. The kids will love the old costumes and antics that go with it. Just be careful with the candles if you have long hair. At a place similar to that our friend once set the menu on fire while he was reading it.

If nothing else, you will see some carts and displays with young folks all dressed up advertising the restaurant on the square and in front.

Lair Bear

I have to add my thanks for all your work you did in putting this together. You did such a fantastic job!! I saved it and will copy it to bring with for our July Baltic's cruise. Thanks also for the fun restaurant recommendation. Will give it a try.

Thanks again!!!

Nancy:)

Printed all 20 pages and will take with us on the cruise. Thanks for sharing it with us!

If we are walking at a nice healthy pace, excluding lunch, how long might the route take us , approximately?

Wondering if we get an early start, could we head back to the ship for lunch or is this a whole day out?

Thanks.

Again it depends on what you are interested in seeing. I like to learn about the history and people of the places we go to. Others may prefer to hunt for some great bargains or nice food/wine and entertainment. So, if you stop at every place I mentioned and want to see all the churches and museums in detail, and climb every steeple, there is not enough time! If you are not a good walker, don't do this trip. Take a taxi to Toompea and start from there. However, if you want to do the walk: the distance from the ship to the first stop is about 1.5 to 1.8 miles. Add another 0.7 miles to get to Toompea (2.5 max) and from there it is maybe the same going back to the ship, a total of around five to six miles (depending on what you do in the meantime).

Now, I can walk about three miles in an hour on flat terrain. But with the little lady shopping and my beer stops, we can do this Tallinn tour in five to seven hours.

jspirit, to answer your question: I don't think it would be a good idea to go back to the ship for lunch, unless your ship leaves early afternoon. There is so much to see and experience in Tallinn and there are plenty of little cafe's with a good nibble to tie you over for the wonderful cruise ship food to follow.

Thank you so much for this. I had no clue what to expect the city to look like and this puts it all in front of me.

Do you happen to recall about how much a taxi would cost to get to Toompea? It sounds like a good option to take a taxi there and then start the walking tour.

Again it depends on what you are interested in seeing. I like to learn about the history and people of the places we go to. Others may prefer to hunt for some great bargains or nice food/wine and entertainment. So, if you stop at every place I mentioned and want to see all the churches and museums in detail, and climb every steeple, there is not enough time! If you are not a good walker, don't do this trip. Take a taxi to Toompea and start from there. However, if you want to do the walk: the distance from the ship to the first stop is about 1.5 to 1.8 miles. Add another 0.7 miles to get to Toompea (2.5 max) and from there it is maybe the same going back to the ship, a total of around five to six miles (depending on what you do in the meantime).

Now, I can walk about three miles in an hour on flat terrain. But with the little lady shopping and my beer stops, we can do this Tallinn tour in five to seven hours.

jspirit, to answer your question: I don't think it would be a good idea to go back to the ship for lunch, unless your ship leaves early afternoon. There is so much to see and experience in Tallinn and there are plenty of little cafe's with a good nibble to tie you over for the wonderful cruise ship food to follow.

I appreciate your taking the time to reply . I will plan accordingly. My roll call will thank you too. I have directed them over to here to take a look.

Really nice of you to share this valuable information. Thanks again!

Bell907, I really don't know what a taxi would charge to take you to Toompea. I know there was an earlier post about this, but since I was not interested, I skipped the details. Sorry.

If the driver takes you be sure that he/she drops you of near the Nevski Cathedral. You can start from there.

I'll be visiting Tallinn for the first time this summer too, and here's something I found about taxis on www.virtualtourist.com while I was researching:

Taxidrivers in Tallinn are infamous for overcharging tourists - here is some advice to hopefully help you avoid being taken for a ride... There are loads of different taxi companies, and their prices vary considerably - especially the minimum fare, which can be anything between 35 and (at least) 100 EEK. Always check out the taxi's price list, which should be on the window of one of the back doors, and on the dashboard. It's always a good idea to ask the driver for an estimated price before entering the taxi. A trip from the airport to the city centre should cost between 70 - 90 EEK unless there's very heavy traffic. I've been recommended Tulika Takso by my Estonian friends, and have found this taxi company to be very reliable, have actually never had any problems with them - look for white taxis with a black & yellow logo.

First a thank you to all of you who commented. Hopefully the walking tour may give you some ideas. Just don't follow my suggestions in total; explore!

A walking tour in Helsinki is a nice idea and I want to pursue it for that city because it is easy to do from the cruise terminal. However, there are times that taking an excursion on your own (in a new city) may not be the best. If the distances are too long or complicated to do on foot, consider local transportation, a tour company, or even a private guide.

Keep in mind that in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and even Old Town Gdansk (getting there is the problem), the way to get around on foot is not as easy as in other smaller, medieval towns of Europe. Sometimes it really pays to take a local tour bus/boat, Hop-on-Hop-off (HOHO), or even the bus/train system. There has been a lot of talk on this CC about ways to do that.

So I will keep in mind what you asked, but meanwhile check this site for other ideas.

I assume everyone is aware that the Talinn Visitor's Bureau also has a walking/bus tour. The first hour the bus takes you to see some of town sights and the last 1 1/2 hour is a walking tour of the old city. We did this last summer. It was most informative and quite reasonable.

I played around with the web site you showed us, took off the last part of the address (cut off the part after the .com) and voila you show who you really are. www.*****.com

What a terrific home page. I love all the pictures and descriptions of your travels, etc. It sure beats the other web site, the one that is constantly being touted in large font.

Archived