Enterprise rental car in Galveston

GeorgiaPeach

I'm working on transportation options for my upcoming Rhapsody cruise out of Galveston. We are flying in the day before the cruise and returning home the same day the ship returns. I've got reservations with Enterprise at this moment. Judging from the rate I've been quoted, I come out about the same cost wise as using Galveston Limo but I would have some freedom to get around the night before instead of relying on what's near our hotel(Holiday Inn at the Beach). The hotel does provide free transportation to/from the ship. Now, with all that said, has anyone had any particular good or bad experiences with Enterprise in Galveston? I have only heard good things about Galveston Limo but having the car the day before might be nice too.

Many thanks in advance for your comments!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When we drove to Galveston from San Antonio on May 7 for Galaxy's Transatlantic cruise, we used Hertz instead of Enterprise because Hertz did not charge us a drop-off fee. Enterprise quoted us a $150 drop-off fee. My husband dropped the luggage and me at the pier and drove to Hertz. They transported him back to the pier within 20 minutes. It was very easy.

Fran

I'm working on transportation options for my upcoming Rhapsody cruise out of Galveston. We are flying in the day before the cruise and returning home the same day the ship returns. I've got reservations with Enterprise at this moment. Judging from the rate I've been quoted, I come out about the same cost wise as using Galveston Limo but I would have some freedom to get around the night before instead of relying on what's near our hotel(Holiday Inn at the Beach). The hotel does provide free transportation to/from the ship. Now, with all that said, has anyone had any particular good or bad experiences with Enterprise in Galveston? I have only heard good things about Galveston Limo but having the car the day before might be nice too.

Many thanks in advance for your comments!

I had gone back and forth with whether to use a rental or Galveston Limo. I guess it depends on your situation. We had 6 people in our group and it was cheaper to go with Enterprise. Galveston Limo charges $30 pp one-way, $25 pp round trip each way (so $50 round trip). Enterprise's one-way drop fee is $40, so it's a lot less than the $150 that was quoted to Francine. Si!nce we split the cost among 6 people, it was a lot cheaper!

I don't remember where Holiday Inn is, but if it's on Seawall Blvd., you should be able to walk across the street and hang out at the beach the day before. We stayed at Hilton but the beach wasn't attractive to us... (we are from Califorina, and not used to the heat and humidity, so we were running for cover in air-conditioned areas!) :cool:

I'm glad we ended up renting a car because it did give us the freedom to buy last minute things. There is a Wal-mart and Target nearby, and an Academy sporting goods store. We were also able to drive around and check out the island, walk the Strand and have a nice, inexpensive dinner.

where is the enterprise drop off near the port?

has anyone gotten out of paying the drop off charge?

The Enterprise branch is about 3 miles from the port. It should take 5 minutes to get to, but with all the lights you go through, it's more like 10! There is no branch at the port, but they have a kiosk at the port so that when you arrive after your cruise, they can help with your reservation. Also remember that they ask you to drop off your bags and passengers at the cruise terminal before returning the car. They don't have the huge shuttles like at the airport, so the less people they need to transport the better. They pretty much take those needing to get to the port in any car that's available.

I don't think anyone would get out of paying the drop off charge unless they messed up big time and waive it in your favor. There's just too many people using their service that it's a standard fee. I'm sure people have tried by saying they misplaced their contract because they are pretty strict on wanting to see that contract.

Archived