Costa Rica and Panama

JSR

We will be in Costa Rican and Pananama on the Brillance in March 05.

Has anyone been there in a wheelchair and what did you do? We are interested in activities other than shopping. Please tell me as much as you can so I can plan a great trip for myself, My DH and our DD 9.

Thank you,

JEan

We have been to both Panama and Cost Rica twice.

On our first trip, a full canal transit on the Celebrity Infinity

Puntarenas Costa Rica: Since private excursions are easier, I reserved a van for the day ($225 for 5 of us, but it would have seated 8). We went to the Poas Volcano and a zoo. They were long rides, but we enjoyed both. There is a paved path from the parking lot to the Volcano lookout area, but our driver arranged for the ambulance that is on stand-by there to take my husband so I would not have to push him. The zoo was fairly accessible. There was one set of 3 or 4 steps and some steep inclines, but the driver helped with the wheelchair.

Panama: We were not supposed to stop in Panama on that trip, but we did. I asked the excursion desk about accessible tours, specifically the aerial tram and was told that was none were accessible and that the tram could not accomodate a wheelchair. As a result, my husband stayed aboard while my sister and I took the Panama City tour.

Our second trip was on the Carnival Spirit. It was a lst minute trip so I did not have much chance to research accessible port choices.

Colon: Again I asked about accessible tours on Panama and the aerial tram specifically. Again I was told there were none so my husband stayed on the ship. I went on the tram trip and except for the bus, it turned out to be 95% accessible. Our guide was upset that I had been told that the tram was not accessible. The tram station is ramped and they have special cars for wheelchairs. The path to the oberservation tower was a lttle rough, but passable and the tower itself was ramped. However, given its height, it might be a diffiicult to push someone up. The only non-accessible areas were the small aquarium and possibly the serpent house in the ecological area. The excursion was good, but not great. We did not see as many animals as I hoped, but the vegetation was interesting as was the view from the top of the tower

Puerto Limon, Costs Rica: The excursion desk recommended a bus sightseeing tour which really did not interest us. They said that the Tortuga Canal would be okay, but that there were no accessible buses (my husband's condition had worsened making getting into a bus even more difficult). My husband wanted to go so we signed up for the Canal excursion. As we struggled to get him on the bus, we noticed that the bus opposite our's had a handicap sticker. So much for the excursion desk's knowledge! When we got to the canal, several men lifted my husband into the boat in his wheelchair and others lifted him out at the other end. Again the trip was good, but not great. Most of the animals were too far away to see well. Of course, binoculars would have helped!

I hope this helps.

If one of your stops is in Colon Panama, you can take a domed railroad car to tour the canal and see the city sites in Panama City. If you stop in Puerto Limon, the Banana Plantation tour is one that might work for those in a wheelchair.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

I appreciate the information and look forward to others adding more.

We are considering Zip lining in Costa Rica and also doing the banana plantation.

I have not gotten to Panama

Thanks again,

Jean

• 1 year later...

We took Regal Princess to Panama and back in November of 2005 and the ship organized a w/c accessible bus tour for passengers at Puntarenas to "Santa Lucia Cultural Village". It was bumpy, the driver drove like a bat out of h---, and the "cultural village" was touristy and artificial, but there was a quality historical dance show by college students, a yummy lunch, and lots of accessible shopping. The tour guide was wonderful. We loved it. The company that provided the bus was out of San Jose (have lost their name, sorry).

Archived