Excellent cruise related books!

Travelight

John Maxtone-Graham was the guest lecturer on my March cruise around Cape Horn, and he was just fantastic. He has written many wonderful books regarding ships, exploration of the poles, and cruising. I have just recently finished a truly engrossing book titled, Titanic Survivor - The Newly Discovered Memoirs of Violet Jessop Who Survived both the Titanic and Britannic Disasters. This book is introduced, editied and annotatd by John Maxtone-Graham.

I enjoyed this book so much!

Another book that I read while on the South America cruise is The Last Time Around Cape Horn - The Historic 1949 Voyage of the Windjammer Pamir by William F. Stark.

It is sometimes so true that real life is more interesting than fiction. It certainly is in the case of these books.

Check them out!

John Maxtone-Graham was the guest lecturer on my March cruise around Cape Horn, and he was just fantastic. He has written many wonderful books regarding ships, exploration of the poles, and cruising. I have just recently finished a truly engrossing book titled, Titanic Survivor - The Newly Discovered Memoirs of Violet Jessop Who Survived both the Titanic and Britannic Disasters. This book is introduced, editied and annotatd by John Maxtone-Graham.

I enjoyed this book so much!

Another book that I read while on the South America cruise is The Last Time Around Cape Horn - The Historic 1949 Voyage of the Windjammer Pamir by William F. Stark.

It is sometimes so true that real life is more interesting than fiction. It certainly is in the case of these books.

Check them out!

a great book of his is

The Only Way To Cross

0001c6da8da01f438e851110._AA116_.L.jpg

a great book of his is

The Only Way To Cross

0001c6da8da01f438e851110._AA116_.L.jpg

Thanks! It's going to be next on my list. :)

It is a great book about the great liners. I have a copy, signed by him when he was on our 1984 cruise. I found this description on the internet.....

"The book describes the luxury on board the various liners, the sailors, stokers and Stewards, the passengers, from tycoon to tourist, celebrities and stowaways, card sharks and con men. the recounts marvelous anecdotes about famous passengers."

......a good follow up book of his is "Liners to the Sun" (which I haven't read) about the growth of the cruise industry we know today.

Thank you for the name of the book. I checked the Violet Jessop book out of the library. They also had a beautiful coffee table book of his on the QE2. But they didn't have any of his others. I'll look on-line for some more. His lectures were wonderful.

I love reading history and true-life adventures.

Examples: The Perfect Storm, Isaac's Storm, Thirteen Days of Terror (Shark attacks in the early 1900's near New Jersery), Into the Wild, Into Thin Air.

Any more suggestions?

• 1 month later...

You might like the book "Dove" by Robin L. Graham. It's not about cruise ships, but about a 16 year old boy who sailed alone around the world in a small sailboat and along the way got married. It's available at Amazon.

• 1 month later...

I really have enjoyed all of John Maxtone-Graham books. but I really love mysteries all kinds,cosys,police procedurals, p.i.s, some hard boiled detectives. I am catholic in my choice of mysteries. I recently tried to put together a list for my little sister. Her only grandchildren live in Anchorage and they have been going up there for the past 5 years but she has not been in the Inside passage area. I have several recent books. Second sitting by Stella Whitlaw a new series concerning a cruise director, for alaska 1997 Death takes Passage by Sue Henry(1997), Birds of Prey by J.A. Jance (2001). also the two mentioned in Editors pick Murder on the Minnesota,on the Celtic,etc. Tecnically these are crossings not cruises. Mary Daheim Dead Man Docking. Carola Dunn(2001) To Davy Jones below,,,I did a little research for my sister. But I remember most of these. The public library is one of the greatest things going.

Archived