Questions about older passenger

beaming90

I am taking my 74 year old mom on the Carnival Fantasy in Feb. She still works (in a day care with the 1 and a half year old toddlers) but has had several surgeries in the last few years - a knee replacement, quadruple bypass, and colon surgery. She has trouble walking long distances. Does anyone that has done the Dolphin encounter or glass bottom boat in Nassau and Freeport Bahamas have any advice? Thanks!:D

I can not comment on them because I have not been on those tours. Have you tried posting your question on the Bahamas board in Ports of Call?

Also have you considered getting a scooter or wheelchair for your mother? All ships are pretty big today so she may need some help getting around.

• 3 months later...

My mom has had both knee and hip replacement surgeries this year. She gets around at home with a walker, but I knew the ship would be too big for her to maneuver. Just trying to get to dinner and back would have been a chore. I know her....she would have just opted to stay in her room and order room service after the first night.

I ordered a scooter for her and she loved it. It gave her such a sense of freedom. We had trouble keeping up with her! She got to see every inch of the ship. Without the scooter, she probably would not have even ventured out of her cabin much. It was a great investment to see her enjoy herself like that.

Irene

Good post Irene!! I get lots of letters just like yours. At times people are hesitant to rent scooters (either because of cost or perception) but for many folks it's the difference between sitting in their cabin and *really* getting out and enjoying the cruise.

Candy

• 5 months later...
My mom has had both knee and hip replacement surgeries this year. She gets around at home with a walker, but I knew the ship would be too big for her to maneuver. Just trying to get to dinner and back would have been a chore. I know her....she would have just opted to stay in her room and order room service after the first night.

I ordered a scooter for her and she loved it. It gave her such a sense of freedom. We had trouble keeping up with her! She got to see every inch of the ship. Without the scooter, she probably would not have even ventured out of her cabin much. It was a great investment to see her enjoy herself like that.

Irene

I know this is an old post, but MrIrene, if you are still around, where did you order a scooter from? That may be something for me to look into for our next cruise. Thanks!!!

Archived