How is Windstar for singles??

JeffCoud

Hey all --

Got a price quote on the 12/12/04 sailing of the Windsurf, which is a good price. I can definitely swing it and the airfare to St. Thomas doesn't look bad. I'd probably fly down a day early from DC and stay overnight somewhere. I love the itinerary -- St. Thomas USVI, Iles Des Saintes Guadelope, Charlottetown Nevis, Gustavia St. Bart's, Culebra Island PR, St. John USVI. Some very nice places off the beaten path of the big cruise ships. Heavenly.

My one question -- how is Windstar for singles?? And on top of that, not your conventional single here...I'm a 41 yo gay man. Granted, I'm pretty gregarious, get along with everyone type of person. I can more than carry on my end of a conversation -- well read, well educated, well traveled, you get the picture. I would think the open seating might work for me pretty good, and I love the idea of resort casual chic, or whatever its called. I can handle that. I'd be sailing, of course, for the sheer relaxation of being away for 7 days and kicking back on a beach or two, and seeing the sights in these new places.

Anyone on here have experience on Windstar as a single, or know of the experiences of others? The Windsurf fits 308 passengers...so that's maybe a bit better for me than one of the smaller ships. Anyhow....any advice or thoughts people may have would be very much welcome!

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jef, I think I'm going to be traveling solo on that cruise too. My company has changed vacation policy so I have to use a bunch this year and next - more than my husband can take off from his job. While we have many interests in common, snorkeling isn't one of them so that seemed a good thing to do with my extra vacation time.

It is a good rate for a solo traveler. Maybe because of the good rate this trip will attract some others on their own.

• 1 year later...

I am single and travel with my 14 year old daughter and was on the Windsurf New Year's cruise last year (and will be again this year). I was one of 2 single people on the entire cruise (the other was in her mid 70's but a world traveler with great stories to tell).

I got known pretty quickly as the "single lady" and everyone, passengers and crew went out of their way to be nice to me. I had a wonderful time and I met tons of people on board, 3 of which I still e-mail with and one of those 3 I'll be going to Europe with! (her husband doesn't really like to travel and she does and we do the same job so we had a ton of stuff in common). I don't think being single on this cruise is a problem at all unless your looking for other singles.

As far as the attitude toward being gay I didn't see that as any issue on our cruise, we had 3 gay couples on our cruise last year (all men) and they had a blast and I didn't see anyone, passengers or crew that showed any problem with that. (One of the guys is another one I'm e-mailing with, we had a blast together) I think on vacations people are more focused on having fun, going shopping, having meals, watersports, etc.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

susan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived