~~Marina del Rey OR Santa Monica??? ~~

worfsmom

Ok help please....... :confused: Santa Monica or Marina del Rey post cruise....????

We're going to rent a car, and flying out of LAX.

We have no idea what to do in Los Angeles area. We don't want to have to worry about high crime areas. And don't mind paying between $160. - $200. per night. We want something comfortable, view would be nice, but not necess.

Room service would be nice for breakfast.

Would you take a shuttle to LAX, and pick up a rental there, so it can be returned there. Or would you grab a rental close to port, and pay the return to airport?

I liked Laguna, but think that's a bit too far from areas we'll concentrate on. We've never driven in California, know it can be wild so don't want to be totally stressed out

it really all depends on what you want to do while you're in Southern California.

if you're options are Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica and you want a nice place, I would suggest Marina Del Rey. Not so touristy and a lot more upscale. I know people think Santa Monica is nice, but i always see homeless people at 3rd street promenade and along the beach so MDR would definitely be my choice. a drive from MDR up to the Santa Monica pier won't take you more than 10-15 minutes. they are basically cities that border each other.

as for renting a car... rent it in long beach when you get off the cruise then return it to LAX. try a company such as Budget. they don't charge a "drop off" fee. i have called them and found that prices can be exactly the same if you pick up from one place and return to the other place. for instance, i found that picking up a car at LAX and returning to LAX was the same price as picking up from LAX and returning to John Wayne Airport.

if you go with a car rental company such as hertz.. they do charge a drop off fee.

also taking a shuttle to get up to LAX to save you that drop off fee won't really save you any money. the distance between the port in Long Beach and LAX is about 25 miles. a taxi ride will cost you around $40+.

JstDucky you're amazing..... thankyou.

We have never been to California before, and are really at a loss which neighbourhoods are the "best". Our husbands are cops, and they watch"COPS", so they don't want me to pick a seedy area:rolleyes:

I loved your cruise pics......... especially the Canadian ones:D

I'm assuming driving in Los Angeles area would be like driving in Toronto on a busy wild long weekend night? They'll be doing the driving anyways.............

My husband wants to see the Scorpian sub, one of our friends wants to see Fredricks of Hollywood:eek: , and I want to check out some of the cemetaries were the stars are buried:rolleyes: And of course to feel the Pacific ocean under my feet.

Thanks for your great help.

worfsmom.... thanks for the compliments on the pics. i had an absolutely amazing time on my canada new england cruise. canada is such a beautiful country. the people are amazingly friendly and warm and the scenery can't be beat regardless of whether you are talking about the east or west coast of canada! i am a huge hockey fan, so i've always been a huge fan of canada!

anyhow, it sounds like for what you want to see Marina Del Rey really would be the best choice. its right there by the beach. the marina is really pretty at night. its a very nice and safe neighborhood. MDR is one of those places you could walk around at night and not have to worry or feel threatened.

of course you're going to have to drive to see everything you want to see, but everything is fairly close driving wise... probably no more than a 20-30 minute drive from hollywood and the stars home's etc.

driving in LA can be a bit crazy as the drivers here are very aggressive and the people are impatient. but its like any big city. it can't be that much worse than toronto. and since you won't be in downtown LA you won't have to worry about one way streets at least.

You might just consider going on a day tour and leave the driving to someone else.

The places you mentioned are all in Hollywood.. ( Fredricks lol) ..and parking is a zoo there.

There are many places you could stay along the beach area including Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach ( both near the airport).. but if deciding between Santa Monica or M.del rey would go with Del Rey ( unless you are staying right on the beach.

Many hotels have shuttle service.

Thanks a bunch......... Can't see me in Fredrick's of Hollywood, but my girlfriends husband is determined. When ever we travel together, we all get one thing each that we really want to do in each port, and then all others participate, and then we do our own thing. Do they make thongs for waist sizes 32:eek: I'd probably trip over or become allergic to the mariboo trimmings, and ruin the vacation! mmmmmmmmmmmm maybe I should check out their website:D

Thanks for the help, am setting sites/plans for MdR

there is the Ritz-Carlton in the Marina.... can't get much better than that!

However, I would also like to put in a vote for Santa Monica. There are some wonderful hotels.... Casa del Mar &/or Shutters (my two favorites) I just think there is a little bit more to do in Santa Monica within walking distance. There are some really nice restaurants right on Ocean Ave.

Then again, if you have a rental car, things within walking distance doesn't really matter!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived