One thing hasn't changed....

nealstuber

How would you like to purchase the photos taken my shipboard photographers?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to purchase the photos taken my shipboard photographers?

• Leave well enough alone - its part of cruising tradition
    • Touch screeens where the photos used to be. Locate, order and print by folio number
    • Have photos uploaded to cabin TV let us download to photo lab of our choice at home
    • Available on line after the cruise by booking number - offer "free-bees" if a cruise is booked, ect
    • Some other idea

With all of the advances and changes we've seen in crusing, e-docs, and pre-registration, and so many traditions going by the wayside - DW and I are surprised that we still get our ship's photos "the old fashioned way." Every line we've sailed still prints up hundreds of photos - you find yours by looking for your face - you pay way too much because the cruiseline has to cover the cost of the 20 photos that aren't purchased lots of wasted time and photo paper.

At our dinner table last week on the Carnival Conquest, we came up with other options and were wondering what everone else thought.

We agree - why do they print up all those photos that get thrown away - it is SUCH a waste!

Have kiosks all over the photo shop area and perhaps other locations throughout the ship, maybe your interactive TV - you can look at your photos, choose what you want to print and pick them up in the photo shop at a time it tell you. That way the photo concession still makes the money off of the photos without so much waste.

As a photographer, I enjoy looking at all the pics they post. While they are not really artistic photography, they are amusing to browse. It is not a large cost to print them out as they are only proofs and on inexpensive paper.

Also, on our last cruise we even recognized a couple from where we used to live. They were only acquaintances then, but after socializing with them on the ship, they are now good friends!

I liked your imaginative list of possible photo options. :)

On the Voyager last fall, they had several computers at the photo desk.

Once you pulled up your 'boarding' picture which was taken with your room card inserted, they used a face recognition program to link to other pictures taken anywhere on the ship - neat! You could order the size and number of prints you wanted. They also still had the walls of photos to browse.

I know RC has begun to toy with the idea of making them available for viewing digitally but hasnt made the switch, its still a second option. Think about how much less it would waste if they just utilized digital machines to view and order them rather than printing thousands of unwanted pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted keep it the same, but you're right...it is a huge waste! I voted wrong. Maybe they could show the pictures like on a TV screen so you could still see everyone's pictures if you wanted to. But then you could look yours up somewhere and see if you want to buy them.

• 3 weeks later...

from a sales standpoint your more likely to make a sale if you put the product in the customers hand....ie printing all the photos....although I do agree that it is awful wasteful.

I would also tell the cruise industry...when I tell your photographer "no thanks" at the peir or on board have them move along and not pester me to take a picture.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived