Glory Review - 5/9/09 Part I

cjkumbaya

Friday, May 8, 2009 – we traveled to Cape Canaveral and stayed overnight at the Radisson Resort near the Port – we would definitely stay there again. It’s really a pretty location, and it’s quite convenient to Port Canaveral.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 – we were up early (we’re early risers), got ready, loaded the truck and headed to the Radisson’s restaurant for breakfast (we will probably find a McDonalds or something like that next time – the buffet was not much to write home about). We jumped in the truck and headed to find the port – we didn’t have to go far before we had our first sighting of the Glory J!!! P5080001Small.jpg

It was way too early to check in (but we like to scope out the layout of the port we’re leaving from so that we know where to go when traffic’s heavier), so we went back to the Radisson and sat in the lobby (good people watching). Embarkation was a breeze – we arrived at the port around 10:30 and were on board by 11:30. What a beautiful ship!

P5140020Small.jpg

We enjoyed lunch at the fish-n-chips on deck 10. We didn’t know what to make of the server at the fish-n-chips station, he was like the “soup ****” from Seinfeld: he never said a word, and the only way you knew he was ready to take your order was that he’d cut his eyes over to look at you. It got funny after a while, as he was the only server at the fish-n-chips, and he never changed. And he stuck out as the only not-especially-friendly Carnival employee we met on the trip. At 1:30 we made our way to our cabin (1103), and it was excellent – what a great view (floor to ceiling window)! P1040500Small.jpg

P1040502Small.jpg

We also met out cabin steward, Emmanuel and his assistant, Karen. They really went out of their way during the week to make us feel welcome and at home. Dinner was at 6:00, we were placed at a table for 8 (we had requested a table for 2, but had to wait to see if one was available). Dinner was really great as usual – then off to bed thinking about Nassau.

More to follow.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 - Nassau, Bahamas. We were up and at the gym at 6:00, showered, then breakfast in the main dining room (our favorite way to start the day). We’ve found that the restaurant food is universally better than the buffets on the upper decks, plus that way you have a bit of time to get to know the restaurant staff, and we enjoy getting to know them and their stories, if only a small piece. We took the Historical Highlights Tour at Nassau, travelling by taxi bus to visit the island’s historical sights such as the Water Tower, Fort Fincastle, the walk down the Queen’s Staircase,

P1040544Small.jpg

and Fort Charlotte, with its lovely views of the lighthouse

P1040553Small.jpg

and our ship at dock. This would not be an excursion that we would do again, though: we had to walk quite a ways from the ship to get to the waiting taxi buses, and it seemed disorganized: we felt as thought the tour guide would drive a bit and drop us off at a fort, where someone else would tell us about the sights; then it would start over again. Not very impressive.

This was the first of two Elegant Evenings. Most people dressed very nicely for dinner in the dining room. Since we had not received anything from the Maitre d’ regarding a table for two (our only disappointment there), we ate at the large table again. Our table mates were okay, we just prefer the intimacy of a table for two when one’s available. This was lobster & shrimp evening for us. The husband of us (we’re both writing this) had two. (Wish there was a way you could ask for just two entrees without getting two entire meals, but I made the ultimate sacrifice and ate the sides, too).

Monday, May 11, 2009 - Sea day! We really enjoy sea days, lots of relaxation. The Glory has its lifeboats hung from deck 4, so that deck 3 is more accessible than on (say) the Miracle and Legend: and since we go out on deck to watch the world go by, laying out there suits us much better than going to the pool deck.

P1040749Small.jpg

Our table for two (#128) was a really nice location and we had two wonderful servers – Robert (Head) and Irina (Assistant). Robert fed us way too much food for the remainder of the trip (good thing we go to the gym every morningJ). Irina, from Russia, was very quiet and hard to get to know. Robert was from India: at first he seemed a bit distant, but he warmed to us (and us to him) very quickly. He had a quirky sense of humor: one of us would make a selection from the menu, and he’d reply, “You won’t like that. I’ll bring it for you, but I’ll bring you this OTHER dish, you’ll like that better.” And he was unfailingly right. After a couple of days, we’d just ask, “What should we eat tonight?” and he’d bring us the perfect dish (frequently with an extra meal on the side, ‘cause we’d like that, too!).

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - St. Thomas, USVI.

P1040655Small.jpg

We took the Best of St. Thomas Island Tour, and our driver, Patrick, did an excellent job of driving and pointing out highlights. We traveled by open air bus visiting beautiful views, such as St. John, the harbor of Charlotte Amalie, Magen’s Bay,

P1040620Small.jpg

and St. Peter’s Great House and Gardens. This was a really nice tour and would recommend it highly (you just have to close your eyes at times because the roadways are very tight and they drive on the wrong side of the road – well, wrong for us). We discovered Cruzan rum at a tasting booth. Ooh, that could be trouble: we’re not big drinkers, but the pineapple, banana, and mango flavored rums are really nice!

One more to follow.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - St. Maarten, NA. We took the See & Sea Island Tour / French St. Maarten, with our driver, Nicholas. We traveled by motor coach, visiting many picturesque sights of the two-nation island. We visited Grand Case on the Dutch side.

P1040714Small.jpg

P1040719Small.jpg

Enjoyed a 45 minute narrated tour of the coral reefs in a semi-submarine called the Sea World Explorer and explored the French Capital of Marigot before returning to the ship. We both woke up a little before 4:00 Thursday morning and realized that the ship was once again docked at St. Thomas. Within a few minutes we were back under way. We found out later that morning that there had been a medical emergency that required this detour: apparently the USCG doesn’t perform airlifts at night (too dangerous).

Thursday, May 14, 2009 - Sea day – More relaxation and the second Elegant Evening (more good food).

P1040771Small.jpg

P1040769Small.jpg

P1040766Small.jpg

Friday, May 15, 2009 Sea day –Even more relaxation and food.

P1040806Small.jpg

Saturday, May 16, 2009 – We were back in Port Canaveral. We had our last breakfast in the dining room. Then a very fast and easy debarkation (we try to pack lightly enough so that we can self-assist debark) and on the road back home.

We enjoy getting to know the crew members when we are on board and this cruise did not disappoint. The Glory has a really wonderful staff and we hope that Carnival is proud of them and the job that they do. This was an excellent cruise, smooth seas, great service, and great food. We are already planning another cruise on the Glory.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - St. Maarten, NA. We took the See & Sea Island Tour / French St. Maarten, with our driver, Nicholas. We traveled by motor coach, visiting many picturesque sights of the two-nation island. We visited Grand Case on the Dutch side.

P1040714Small.jpg

P1040719Small.jpg

Enjoyed a 45 minute narrated tour of the coral reefs in a semi-submarine called the Sea World Explorer and explored the French Capital of Marigot before returning to the ship. We both woke up a little before 4:00 Thursday morning and realized that the ship was once again docked at St. Thomas. Within a few minutes we were back under way. We found out later that morning that there had been a medical emergency that required this detour: apparently the USCG doesn’t perform airlifts at night (too dangerous).

Thursday, May 14, 2009 - Sea day – More relaxation and the second Elegant Evening (more good food).

P1040771Small.jpg

P1040769Small.jpg

P1040766Small.jpg

Friday, May 15, 2009 Sea day –Even more relaxation and food.

P1040806Small.jpg

Saturday, May 16, 2009 – We were back in Port Canaveral. We had our last breakfast in the dining room. Then a very fast and easy debarkation (we try to pack lightly enough so that we can self-assist debark) and on the road back home.

We enjoy getting to know the crew members when we are on board and this cruise did not disappoint. The Glory has a really wonderful staff and we hope that Carnival is proud of them and the job that they do. This was an excellent cruise, smooth seas, great service, and great food. We are already planning another cruise on the Glory.

Love your review. In the last picture can you see the face in the clouds? I am not weird honest!

We booked them all through Carnival - we feel safer that way!

That's always been our thought too. Especially since it's usually just "the girls". And I'm a worrier. I always worry about getting back to the ship on time....It is a little more expensive, but I feel better.

I was on the Glory the week after you, and I know EXACTLY who you are talking about when it comes to the Fish-n-chips station! I thought laser beams were going to shoot out of his eyes and kill me when I asked for something! We even talked about him being the only one we encountered that REALLY seemed to hate his job! The food was too good to stay away from him though...:p

No one can walk outside of your window, the white railing is a safety feature that is used when the windows are cleaned. We didn't have any window cleaning while we were in the cabin. It is very nice to be able to sit at the window (in the cool of your cabin) and watch the ship pull in or out of port. I would highly recommend this category.

Dolfandude - you will have Emmanuel and Karen as your cabin steward and assistant, they are really great and will take good care of you!

We are cruising on the Glory July 4th and will be in the same cabin that you stayed in a few weeks ago.

I would love to see your pictures but I can't seem to find them.

I am really curious to see pictures of the room since the Carnival website doesn't show the floor to ceiling room pics.

We are cruising on the Glory July 4th and will be in the same cabin that you stayed in a few weeks ago.

I would love to see your pictures but I can't seem to find them.

I am really curious to see pictures of the room since the Carnival website doesn't show the floor to ceiling room pics.

We will be on the Glory with you! Me, DH and 10yr DD! See you onboard!

The photos should load when you view the review unless there is some problem with your system. The photos of our cabin are in the first part of the review (they are the third and fourth photos). You will really love the cabin the view is great and the location is very quiet. Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

I'm glad that you were able to view them and that you liked them. It is always nice to know a little about what you have to look forward to! You will have Emmanuel and Karen as your room steward and assistant. They will really treat you well and make you feel at home. This was a really relaxing cruise for us and I wish the same for you!

Archived