Chankanaab or Paradise beach?

sgrissom

We spent a day at Chankanaab when we were in Cozumel 5 years ago. It was wonderful. The snorkeling was among the best I've ever done, the beach was beautiful and immaculate, the food and drink was good, and the chairs and palupas(sp?) were comfortable. We had such a good time that I couldn't imagine going anywhere else...until I was reading through this board today. Paradise Beach sounds great too! Has anyone been to both who can help me decide?

When we were at Chankanaab it was virtually empty. But now I read that's it's often very crowded. If we get to either of these places early (say by 10am and leaving by 2pm) are we going to run into problems with huge crowds?

Thanks!

Sally

We were at both during our Carnival Glory cruise, 12/18 - 12/25. Kids did snorkeling and Royal Dolphin swim at Chankanaab then we beat feet to Paradise. Had a great time at both. If you want to see pics of Chankanaab, the dolphin experience and Paradise, see mine at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/nikoniscool and click on the December 2004 cruise folder.

If snorkeling such as you experienced at Chankanaab is really important to you, then do both. Don't miss Paradise Beach. The sand, the water, the water toys, the service, the food, the drinks.... We who have been there can't say enough good things about that place. See my pics, you'll get some idea.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I've been to both and prefer Paradise beach. But we were looking for a "normal" beach where you can just walk right into the water. We weren't looking for a good snorkeling spot. I think if someone were looking for a good place to snorkel they should go to Chankanab. But if you're looking for a good place to relax on the beach, have a few drinks, and a good meal, go to Paradise.:)

I do prefer the lounge chairs at Paradise, they are cloth covered and sit up or lay flat just like the ones you see around the pool at a nice resort. The ones at Chankanab were one solid piece of curved plastic that were a nightmare to get in and out of. But Chankanab did have the dolphin swim and the gardens. I guess each place has it's own good points.

But when it came down to it, the $12 per person entry fee into Chankanab was a little pricey for our family of 4. Plus, there wasn't much "normal" beach for us to enjoy at Chankanab. And the day we were there it was very crowded. I don't know if that's normal or not, but it may have gotten more "touristy" at Chankanab in the last 5 years since you've been there, I don't really know.

But if you go to Paradise, don't expect any extraordinary snorkeling, there isn't any. But they do let you use all of water toys for a one time fee of $5. I guess what I'm trying to say is, each place has it's good and bad points, it's just according to what you're looking for. We weren't looking for snorkeling and just wanted a nice "normal" beach to hang out at that didn't cost an arm and a leg to get into and wasn't full of tourists. But if you're a die hard snorkeler, go to Chankanab, the snorkeling there is awesome!:)

Archived