Coral cabin question Panama Canal cruise

scamper01

I'm not real familiar with where the cabins you are referring to, but here is something a wrote in response to another post. It was written for the ship transiting from the Atlantic to the Pacific, if you're headed in the other direction just reverse everything......

You are right, there maybe a wee more to see on the port side in the direction you were going. At Gatun Locks, pretty much a wash, you can see what is left of the town of Gatun on the port side and have a good look at the earthen dam on the starboard side. Heading across the lake towards Gamboa, again a wash, the only thing of note here would be Barro Colorado Island where the Smithsonian has a research operation. The island is so large it probably looks like a piece of the mainland. When you get to Gamboa, there is (or can be) some interesting floating equipment moored, a couple of large floating cranes, etc. This is the home of the Canal’s dredging operations. Immediately after Gamboa, is an old vehicle and train bridge that crosses the Chagres River at the point where it enters Gatun Lake. This marks the entrance to Gaillard Cut, neither side of the ship has a leg up until you get south of the Centennial Bridge. On the port side you will be able to see the towns of Paraiso and Pedro Miguel as you are approaching Pedro Miguel Locks. From the starboard side you can see the excavation that has been started for the approach channel for the new set of locks. After leaving the one step locks of Pedro Miguel it is a short sail across Miraflores Lake to Miraflores Locks. Here on the port side you will be able to see Ciudad de Saber, (the old US Army’s Ft. Clayton) and then on to the port of Balboa. Just before sailing under the Bridge of the Americas you will be able to see two fairly large hills Sosa and Ancon. After sailing under the bridge and getting a view around Ancon Hill, you will be able to see the skyline of Panama City. Staying on the port side you will also be able to see the causeway that links the fortified islands with the mainland. This area is referred to as Ft. Amador.

As Putterdude says, you’ll really need to be on the public decks to take it all in. Don’t want to forget about the starboard side, before the Bridge of Americas there is the old US Navy piers at Rodman and after clearing the bridge you will be able to see the islands of Taboga, Taboguilla and Urava. Taboga has a fair size town on it. Either side of the ship is great, but being out and about will allow you to see just about everything.

I have been back there in those rooms and you got as far as i am concerned the best. Now I have been through there 3 times going from Florida to L.A. and have done both starboard and port and the port side in my opinion is the better of the two. Now with that said most of the time a lot of people will roam all over the ship to get good views. But if D718 and D722 are vacant take them. Those cabins are the best as far as I am concerned on the Coral. They are in the aft of the ship, are very quiet, you will not regret it. And they are covered.

Marilyn

I would think you would want to weigh being closer to a elevator or closer to the public aft deck on the Dolphin deck (at the end of the hallway)...considering the handicap......

IMO:

Your room balcony ( which would be lovely viewing all day...but the actual going through the locks would be in the AM and then in late afternoon are fun to see the locks either opening or closing)

If you are on any of the public aft balconies of the Coral, you can see everything and also see the locks close behind the ship and also see both sides....also to consider is that this will be only ONE day of the cruise through the canal too, even if you are tendered at Fuerte Amador (Panama City) for 2 days.

I love that cruise (actually thinking of booking again soon)....did it twice...FLL to LA and FLL to Seattle....so fun and relaxing!....no matter what you choose, have a great cruise:D!!!!

Archived