Is the Sea Princess next to Australia or NZ

Richard Stein

Per Seatrade Insider News more Australians and New Zealanders made bookings with P&O Cruises Australia in August than in any other month in the company’s history. Can this bring the Sea Princess to this area after the 2010 Alaska season to join her two sisters.

Releasing last month’s record figure of 30,000 bookings today, Carnival Australia svp Jenny Lourey said this more than doubled bookings in the same month last year.

Lourey said last month’s bookings for cruises from Brisbane had doubled those made in August 2008 and there was a 62% hike in bookings for departures from Sydney.

There was a 213% increase in bookings ex-Auckland last month over August last year.

Combined bookings in August for P&O Cruises Australia’s Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn and Princess Cruises’ resident Dawn Princess and Sun Princess ex-Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Melbourne, Fremantle and Newcastle set another record. They were 10% higher than Carnival Australia’s previous best booking month, which was January this year.

:(sorry, but as a cruise lover living near the bay area i really don't want to see the sea princess move. imo san francisco doesn't have enough ships either originating from there or making s.f. a port stop. not sure why since all the cruises originating from s.f. seem to always be sold out. would love to have her stay and have even more ships joint her in calif.:D

Oh we would just love to have another ship to chose from as long as she is run by Princess US. Cruising is growing at such a fast rate for Aussies and is much more affordable than it used to be with more ships in the market.

We currently have the Dawn and the Sun which are supposed to be "Premium Cruising" but the US based ships are much superior with higher standards( now that's another topic I know!!)

Oh we would just love to have another ship to chose from as long as she is run by Princess US. Cruising is growing at such a fast rate for Aussies and is much more affordable than it used to be with more ships in the market.

We currently have the Dawn and the Sun which are supposed to be "Premium Cruising" but the US based ships are much superior with higher standards( now that's another topic I know!!)

Hi Lizzy77,

What you wrote is so true. Take note of this, our American friends, cos we would like more US ships visiting. The US ships we have had down here are FAR superior to our little Aussie ones. The US ones have the 'Wow' factor, and the prices are very tantilising.

Cheers,

Jen

Hi Lizzy77,

What you wrote is so true. Take note of this, our American friends, cos we would like more US ships visiting. The US ships we have had down here are FAR superior to our little Aussie ones. The US ones have the 'Wow' factor, and the prices are very tantilising.

Cheers,

Jen

Yep, you're right Jen. The more Aussies that travel on the Princess ships, the more they realise that P & O are lacking something. It is a different standard altogether. Aussies are becoming more refined and as we as a nation get minimum 4 weeks paid annual leave each year and have the money to spend the cruise lines are finally waking up. Keep it coming boys, word is spreading and more people are cruising.

How about different itineraries though, instead of the same old NZ, Pacific Islands etc. I bet there would be Aussies who would jump at a meditteranean cruise out of Sydney or Perth. Think outside the square. I know we would jump at it - not having to fly for once!!!

I agree with Bill & Charlie's mum. There is a big emphasis on the Aus/NZ route over our summer with Diamond, Sun & Dawn plus Volendam & Rhapsody of the Seas all doing trans Tasman trips. Great trip, but how many times do you want to do it???

The Pacific Islands make for a wonderful laid back trip but IMHO are probably suited to the smaller ships.

There is one cruise on Dawn which calls at Rabaul which we would love to do but the timing isn't suitable.

We wish that Princess would bring back one of the R class ships as these are our personal favourites and it would give cruisers the choice of different size ships in this region:D.

Mind you, I am grateful that I can sail into and out of Sydney if I choose.

Archived