? for Househunter Re: EcoCat

Stvandon

icon1.gif? for Househunter Re: EcoCat

We did the EcoCat for the first time in December and loved it! We have been on the Pez Gato about 10 times and really enjoy that tour but the EcoCat is a much nicer boat. The best part is that they have restrooms where you open the door and walk in rather than open a hatch and crawl down like all the other catamarans. The lunch was simple but good, hamburgers and hotdogs. They have a full bar down below that can make many different drinks.

I think we paid $40/pp which is about $5 more than the Pez Gato. The only downside is that because the boat is so big, they have to anchor out quite a ways further than the other boats in Santa Maria Bay where you snorkle. It is a long swim to the reef area where the fish are. We don't use vests, not sure that I saw anyone using them but they probably have them if you ask. If you are not a very strong swimmer you may have difficulty getting out to the snorkle area. I was fine but my husband had some problems on the way back because the water was a little rough. Next time he is using a vest or a noodle![/quote

Could you give me an idea of what "quite a ways" is? We are 3 gals , early 60's, all swimmers. Trying to decide between Pez Gato and EcoCat. My husband and I did Pez Gato about 10 years ago and loved it, except for the restroom facilities.

Thanks you for all the great info you give on CC.

We are hoping for fairly good water temps in Mid December...I believe you have mentioned this is a better time than spring. Thanks again. Donna

icon1.gif? for Househunter Re: EcoCat
We did the EcoCat for the first time in December and loved it! We have been on the Pez Gato about 10 times and really enjoy that tour but the EcoCat is a much nicer boat. The best part is that they have restrooms where you open the door and walk in rather than open a hatch and crawl down like all the other catamarans. The lunch was simple but good, hamburgers and hotdogs. They have a full bar down below that can make many different drinks.

I think we paid $40/pp which is about $5 more than the Pez Gato. The only downside is that because the boat is so big, they have to anchor out quite a ways further than the other boats in Santa Maria Bay where you snorkle. It is a long swim to the reef area where the fish are. We don't use vests, not sure that I saw anyone using them but they probably have them if you ask. If you are not a very strong swimmer you may have difficulty getting out to the snorkle area. I was fine but my husband had some problems on the way back because the water was a little rough. Next time he is using a vest or a noodle![/quote

Could you give me an idea of what "quite a ways" is? We are 3 gals , early 60's, all swimmers. Trying to decide between Pez Gato and EcoCat. My husband and I did Pez Gato about 10 years ago and loved it, except for the restroom facilities.

Thanks you for all the great info you give on CC.

We are hoping for fairly good water temps in Mid December...I believe you have mentioned this is a better time than spring. Thanks again. Donna

You should still have warm water in mid-December. We were there for 2 weeks from end of November on and it was great. I'm going to guess and say that the swim from Pez Gato to the rocks takes about 10 minutes or maybe a little less. The Eco Cat anchors out about twice the distance, I think it took us about 15 minutes, maybe a bit more to swim out there. Many people choose to just snorkle around the boat even though most of the fish are by the rocks. I'm sure they must have life vests, we just never use them as the water is so salty it is really easy to stay afloat. There were only about 25 people on our tour though.

We are both good swimmers and usually have no problems but my husband swallowed some water coming back in and paniced a bit. I had to jump back in and save his gear and to make sure he was ok as he let go of it. It was the only time he has had problems and he thinks he was just tired and then the water he swallowed. It freaked me out so next time we may ask for vests.

You will really like the boat, it is just beautiful.

Thank you for your answer. I will pass info on and we can discuss and decide. My husband and I went on the Pez Gato about 10 years ago and had a great time. It was our first snorkeling experience and I've been hooked ever since. My only hesitation with them is because of the restroom. Thanks again. Donna

Archived