Info on Spirit Shogun Restaurant Menu

Floridamom

Hi,

I also was on the 12-19-04 dawn cruise. We had an issue arise also on this sailing. There were many teenagers from 18 to 21 on board as it was Xmas time. My teenage sons, 18, 19, and 20, at first seemed a little bored, but then they began to mingle. They started having a great time, meeting kids from other countries and enjoying each other's company. They exchanged e-mail addresses and took pictures and plan to keep in touch.

They all hung out at night at the Spinnaker Lounge On the second to the last night of the cruise, my 19-year-old was in the Spinnaker lounge. I guess from the statement of my son and other witnesses an encounter ensued because my son was not interested in a girl. Her 2 counsins, both boys, approached my son and were giving him a hard time. Another teenager grabbed my son from behind to remove him from the situation. An uninvolved teenager came out of nowhere and attacked my son. Security called us and we went down there. He had a severe black eye, totally closed shut. Security insisted that we bring him to have the doctor look at him, then tried to charge us $100 for the 3-minute look. My husband refused to sign. Video tape was reviewed, but not clear as it was very dark in the club. All witness statements matched my son's story of the events, and the offending teenager admitted hitting my son. The girl who presumably like my son left an apologetic voice mail on his phone indicating she apologized and her cousins shouldn't have gotten involved and what happened to him was fair and she asked her cousins to apologize.

My son had made many friends on board, and they were all outraged and wanted to retaliate, including my son. I had a long discussion with him and explained that two wrongs don't make a right and other measures could be taken. The security office with whom my husband dealt with the night of the occurrence, Steven (I believe Neill) was very cooperative and recommeded that we press charges, but it was our choice. Needless to say, it put a damper on the end of our trip. After conferring with my son, who was embarassed by everyone staring and talking about him, made the choice that he would like to press charges. Security Officer Steven told us that the police would be waiting for the offending teenager when we got off the ship, but they needed to know our decision. Before my son made his decision, we heard from Security Officer Steven and they had set up a meeting in the board room with Staff Captain Frederiksson, Security Officer Steven, my son, my husband and myself and the other teenager and his guardian so that the offending teenager could apologize. Unfortunately, my son did not want to be in the same room as the other teenager as he was still angry and embarrassed.

Once we got to the board room and discussed my son's intentions with the Staff Captain, he recanted on everything Security Officer Steven had told us. He told us we would have to make our own arrangements and had no direction for us, but told us he thought we may have to contact the FBI but he was unsure. I asked him for the name and address of the offending party and told him we would like to fill out an incident report and additionally requested that he find out who had jurisdiction over this matter for us, as we were on vacation with our family and they should have available to them the resources to attain that information for us. Staff Captain Frederiksson told us he would look into it and get back to us personally within an hour.

My husband waited in his cabin for 3 1/2 hours -- no response. He went down to the front desk. We were told he was in a meeting and would call us back in a half hour. A half hour went by, no call back. Down to the front desk we went again. This time I spoke to Security Officer Steven, and he said asked what question I wanted answered. I repeated my requests. I was once again told that we had to pursue this on our own, but he would get back to us with the name and address and leave us an incident report in our door. We requested another meeting with Staff Captain Frederikkson, and he met us in the lobby. We told him we were very disappointed that, busy or not, they didn't even have the courtesy to call us back and how accommodating other cruise lines had been in our past (specifically Royal Caribbean last year when we missed our ship due to 2 feet of snow in Boston and they gave us many perks due to the mishap -- on-board credits, paid for plane fare 2 days later to Jamaica and put us up in an all-inclusive for a night, provided a bus the next day to meet the ship, VIP tickest to the ice ship, and a special cocktail meeting with the Captain of the ship.)

I received a phone call from Security Officer Steven asking if I had received the incident report. (It was a piece of paper with the word statement typed at the top and the word Witness and date typed at the bottom) I suggested I could have done that myself, and I expressed my disblief that such a big organization doesn't have a formal incident report I could fill out to put on file with them. I was told one did not exist. Then I followed up and asked for the name of the teenager who attacked my son, and I was given the name, but no address or any other information. He said believe it or not, we don't have his address on file in our computer system, and he apologized for the situation, suggested we take pictures, and he empathized with us, but his hands were tied as he had only been there a month and he was only following the directions of the heirarchy. I expressed my disblief once again that they would not have that information on hand as it was a requirement that all passengers fill out a form indicating such 2 weeks prior to disembarkation.

Additionally, in our first meeting with the Staff Captain, he told us there were rumors going on around the ship that many, many teenagers wanted to assault the offending teenager in revenge and he wouldn't tolerate any harassment on his ship. He made a statement to us that if anything happened, we could be locked up in the brig (I think that's the term.) I told him I met some of these teenagers earlier that morning and had talked to a large group of unknown teenagers and asked them all to leave this offender alone, that we would abide by the law and take appropriate action. My husband got quite upset that the security would try to hold us responsible for the behavior of teenagers whom we didn't even know and had no control over and that it seemed like NCL's goal was to only protect the offending party, and not offer any assistance to the victim (which I believe NCL should have offered assistance to both parties to keep them safe and afford the victim with the information needed to proceed with any legal action, if we so desired, so that we could make the necessary contacts).

The next morning I contacted the NYPD, and they indicated it was out of their jurisdiction, I could contact Customs. I did that, and they indicated that it was out of their jurisdiction. Next I tried the FBI -- and yes, it was their jurisdiction. I explained the situation, and the agent was very knowledgeable and honest. He told me had my son had a broken nose or more severe bodily injury than a swollen shut black eye, they could take some action. He also indicated he deals with the cruise lines all the time and that it seemed like we were getting the run-around. He told me that they definitely should have a formal incident report for us to fill out and the cruise lines usually contact the FBI the day before arrival and let them know of the situation and when they will be coming in ( just as previously expressed by Security Officer Steven in our first encounter).

I was very disappointed with the handling of the entire situation. My son's first inkling -- like many teenage boys -- is to retaliate. After a long talk with him, I convinced him it was the wrong choice (and still believe it is the wrong choice). There were about 40 teenagers that couldn't believe that nothing could be done. They are all of the belief now that the system does not work and that they should have beat the kid up when they had the chance ( which I don't condone at all). Now it has put a fear in me that if a silmilar situation is to ever arise again, my son may act inappropriately and end up with a record which can hinder many opportunities to him for his future. I'm sure it has given many of these other teenagers the same mindset, and I am totally disgusted that young impressional young men and women have been exposed to such flawed system.

Additionally, I've been told that there was drinking going on in this this underaged teenager club. I checked my on-board invoice, and we did not have any charges for any alcohol, thank goodness. If there was any drinking going on by these underage teenagers in this club, I don't know how it was happening, but it seems that it was.

Overall we had a good time, but I just want anyone else who is traveling with teenagers to be aware of what goes on. NCL was more concerned about their own welfare. I just want everyone to know that you do not have the same rights at sea as you do on land. I wonder if a similar altercation had happened with adults, if the result had been the same.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that went on up in the villa, but I'm glad you got more of a response from security than we did. As a matter of fact, the teenage boy from the other villa is one of the boys who were hanging around with my son. They all seemed like a bunch of really nice kids -- I'm sure not in any way involved with the problems you had.

Well, Happy New Year to all!!

I just wanted to know about the Shogun menu..........but what an awful tale to hear. I have heard that your rights at sea are quite different than an land.

It is disappointing to hear that NCL was so neglectful and unhelpful to you in your time of need. Terrible story. My sympathies to your son.

Floridamom,

Sorry, I'm new at this. I think somehow I posted on the wrong board. I was trying to post on a board about security issues on the same cruise, but thanks for your sympathy. Happy New Year. I'll get the hang of this yet!

Archived